About Buddhist hell . .

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
whynotme

Re: About Buddhist hell . .

Post by whynotme »

Ordinaryperson wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:50 pmI don't know anything about jhana or what it is but for the moment in my life I just need to solve the immediate problems (almost all solved now), then I shall seek a master(s) to guide me. Hopefully, I will be able to understand the meaning of jhana.
jhana is simple, it is just absorption, happily absorption, like when you totally concentrate on something like playing your favorite game. It is hard bc ppl think its a magic, but the nature of it is simple, calming in happiness. Jhana is just a method to achieve happiness. If you are happy with money, life, woman.. then jhana is similar to that.

The problem with life happiness is that its very hard to get a totally absorption in it, except some thing like sex where the mind is totally absorbed. But even with sex, its hard for continuous sex for hours, or to get absorbed for hours, it will get bored after some time. Maybe love is a better example, bc ppl can be deeply in love for a long time, in the ecstasy of it. In jhana the mind is totally attracted to something like when you love or like smt very much, it is totally absorbed and content with the matter, while it is not limited by the physical condition of the body like sex. And even with life, truly totally loving some one is hard.

Jhana is not hard, but the hard problem is how to get totally absorbed in something like breath for example. And often ppl try to suppress arising matters which make it very hard to happen, bc suppressing creates stress in the mind. The trick of jhana is relax, playful while concentrate. Ppl concentrate with tense, its the opposite of jhana. The stress is unconscious, so its hard to release.

But it is not something magical. According to sutta the magic happens after fourth jhana after the mind is released from the body. Magic can happen with lesser jhana but must be guided to achieve it. That is the official method of Buddhism. For non religious ppl, there are some shortcut like being a medium for the spirits, or using enchantment. One of my relatives suddenly see the world of the dead, she does not train anything but it can happen. I think many ppl in my story used a method like this, allows some spirit to possess your body and they can open the eye. But it is harmful when ppl dont understand the meaning of it.

Often the spirits make you do bad things, and only bad spirits enjoy in these kind of possession. Good spirit like deva enjoy their own life, they dont need human body. Bad spirits, the Buddha calls them the mara realm.
Please stop following me
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

jbrooks79 asked about
hell,
hell yes, i was reluctant to watch this, but thanks to you, I did, and I am happy I did.
At the end of comment is a video, pl watch this, you will get an educated answer to buddhist hell. I will try to summarize parts,
to make it easy.
There is no eternal hell or heaven in Buddha's world. They all end, so don't be thrilled about it, if you are in heaven now.

At 7.0 Redemptive possibility in buddhism!
  • Hell created by one's own mind
8.14 beings in hell are constantly burned by flames, but they are not consumed. Psychological suffering of life 'Fire sermon' other buddhists may remember?
When we suffer we are in a kind of hell
10.10 Small intense node of ultimate pain. Core of the root of conditioned existence,
like you went inside a black hole.
At 12.00 Chaotic instances, hideous and ugly! Essence of hell is chaos, like in Greek mythology.
Evil is a folk term for a bad job executed in life, or bad conduct.
Evil is intrinsic to universe, just as good is.
Around 13. Listen to the story of the sailor who got mad at his mother...
At 16.
  • Money drugs and pretty girls (or boys) promise hell, is  an entrance to a maximum security prison
or hell.
People enter these through misapprehension. Addiction to gambling is a doorway leading to lower realms. Series of failed marriages, a kinda hell!
The video is a skillful exploration of delusion. warden of hell drags people by hooks, one's consciousness does this to one, says Buddhist suttas.
Two different schools of buddhist thought. One thinks these realms are real literally. The other thinks these realms are mind created, i favor the latter, in this instance.
At 27. it speaks of
Yama, the keeper of hell.
Yama is not quite happy with his job, because his job as a judge is to send folks to hell. But he does not do it arbitrarily. 
Yama asks a series of questions...like "What did you think when you saw an old man?" If answer is "Nothing" .. then s/he is sent to hell.
Get my drift? Trying to keep the comment short. Details are in the video. If my comment is not clear, OP, pl ask.
I find Ajahn Sona videos to be very well done, no matter what topic he deals with. Everyone should spend time with his talks on Right Effort, and Right Samadhi, and Right everything.
With love :candle:

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Pulsar wrote: Yama asks a series of questions… like "did you see an old man?"
he says they sent messengers

you ought to have known, etc

but… that's not why someone goes to hell
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

Cappucino wrote
that's not why someone goes to hell
Was not the series of questions supposed to be a litmus test? is not that why Buddha decided
to renounce? due to the sight of these messengers...
The point of legend is to show that in spite of being forewarned by these messengers, one did not take
any steps to avoid hell? or to avoid repeated suffering. If this is wrong, pl tell me why folks
go to hell? you appear to be familiar with this theme more than I do? I appreciate
it if you would further elaborate, instead of saying this is not right.
With love :candle:
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

hell is a consequence of… greed & hatred & delusion

that's a heavy influence

as if one's heart is weighed after death
BlackMagic

Post by BlackMagic »

Why change the four noble truths into hell? If the four noble truths remain the four noble truths; then practice of the eightfold path becomes possible.
What has happened; Is that which has yet to come. What will be ...Already is.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

jbrooks79 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:36 am I have this idea what Christian hell looks like, but are there pictures, or descriptions of Buddhist hell, that are reliable, from Buddha, or good sources . .
Have a look about 2/3 down this sutta for a graphic description:
https://suttacentral.net/an3.36/en/bodhi
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Unsurprisingly,
  • Buddhist hell is burning.
Surprisingly,
  • Buddhist heaven is burning, too.
:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
BlackMagic

Post by BlackMagic »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:20 pm Unsurprisingly,
  • Buddhist hell is burning.
Surprisingly,
  • Buddhist heaven is burning, too.
:heart:
The fire sermon...

The do not eat list is to avoid becoming aflame: human, elephant, snake, lion, tiger, cat. Burning human smell is hard to forget, seeing elephant foot umbrella stands hard to forget, rotting snake on the highway smell hard to forget, mutilated cat from fan belts in the winter when just trying to stay warm ...like in bed with family and grasping at that being it's ...in such a case tumo tumo tumo is a better mantra on the breath.

Rotting turtle smell on the highway very very complicated ...As it seems either rotting opossum on the highway is either a task to save them from a mae nak situation or a delicacy to the turtles must eat list.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

BlackMagic wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:58 am ...in such a case tumo tumo tumo is a better mantra on the breath.

Rotting turtle smell on the highway very very complicated ...As it seems either rotting opossum on the highway is either a task to save them from a mae nak situation or a delicacy to the turtles must eat list.
What are you talking about exactly? Are you refering to the Tibetan Buddhist practice of "Tummo" as a mantra?.... and if so why?...and are you aware that "mae nak" is a Thai female ghost?

I'm also curious about why you call yourself "Black Magic" on a Buddhist website! eg:......
Black magic has traditionally referred to the use of supernatural powers or magic for evil and selfish purposes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_magic
:shrug:
BlackMagic

Post by BlackMagic »

Aloka wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:50 pm
BlackMagic wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:58 am ...in such a case tumo tumo tumo is a better mantra on the breath.

What are you talking about exactly? Are you refering to the Tibetan Buddhist practice of "Tummo" as a mantra?.... and if so why?...and are you aware that "mae nak" is a Thai female ghost?

I'm also curious about why you call yourself "Black Magic" on a Buddhist website! eg:......
Black magic has traditionally referred to the use of supernatural powers or magic for evil and selfish purposes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_magic
:shrug:
An Arhat tossed the name "black magic" at my back and I let it stick.
The Vishudha Magga is a path of the Anagma/Anagamin or a manual of yin/yang magic. It begins and ends at the heart; where mind is the great element or dhamma.

Anagma! Who is dragging that corpse!
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

I never thought that heaven or hell were real places in Buddhism, in contrast to Western religions. Heaven and hell are states of mind.

Sure, there could be gods and goddesses and other realms, but ultimately, everything is born of causes and conditions. No state is permanent. All things arise from something else, since beginningless time. This is the emptiness of all phenomena.

Peace and enlightenment.

:anjali:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:29 pm I never thought that heaven or hell were real places in Buddhism, in contrast to Western religions. Heaven and hell are states of mind.
Yes, my first teacher (who was Tibetan) told me that the realms were different states of mind.

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

they are states of mind and places

just like the human realm is a state of mind

just like the animal realm is a state of mind

ghost, etc
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

cappuccino wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:32 pm they are states of mind and places

Where are these places?...in the cupboard under the stairs?...at the bottom of the garden?...up in the clouds?...

Last edited by Aloka on Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.