Where should I ordain between India and Thailand?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
JC938

Where should I ordain between India and Thailand?

Post by JC938 »

Hi,

I'm having a problem. I want to become a monk but can't decide if I should become a monk in Thailand or India.

I'm born and live in Thailand and knows thai.

But I'm originally Indian and knows Hindi and like to "think" in Hindi. I learn dhamma very quickly when I hear the words in Hindi or sanskrit, for example, I have never understood what is the meaning of ego, but once I hear Ahamkar, I quickly get what it means.

I prefer India because my face is an indian plus I like Hinduism and want to learn sanskrit in some college in India aswell.

But I live in Thailand and I have no money to travel to India right now. But I want to go to India to be a monk there.

Thailand is also ok, I see some Indians in India wants to be a monk in Thailand and I'm like, how come.

My question is, where do you think i should ordain, actually ordaining in Thailand should be much easier for me, but I don't want to be stuck in the monastery, I want to travel, explore and learn aswell, but I'm not sure I will get money to go to India once I become a monk here.

Thanks for your answers.
rhinoceroshorn

Re: Where should I ordain between India and Thailand?

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

If you wish to learn Sanskrit now, I recommend Thomas Egenes' books. They are a great introduction to the language.
Learning Sanskrit helps a lot to understand many aspects of Pāḷi which would not be clear if you have not studied Sanskrit before.

Ps: you can find them on libgen.

Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
JC938

Post by JC938 »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:10 pm If you wish to learn Sanskrit now, I recommend Thomas Eneges' books. They are a great introduction to the language.
Learning Sanskrit helps a lot to understand many aspects of Pāḷi which would not be clear if you have not studied Sanskrit before.

Ps: you can find them on libgen.

Thanks, will check it out.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

JC938 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:48 pm Hi,

I'm having a problem. I want to become a monk but can't decide if I should become a monk in Thailand or India.

But I'm originally Indian and knows Hindi and like to "think" in Hindi. I learn dhamma very quickly when I hear the words in Hindi or sanskrit, for example, I have never understood what is the meaning of ego, but once I hear Ahamkar, I quickly get what it means.

I prefer India because my face is an indian plus I like Hinduism and want to learn sanskrit in some college in India aswell.

But I live in Thailand and I have no money to travel to India right now. But I want to go to India to be a monk there.

Thailand is also ok, I see some Indians in India wants to be a monk in Thailand and I'm like, how come.

My question is, where do you think i should ordain, actually ordaining in Thailand should be much easier for me, but I don't want to be stuck in the monastery, I want to travel, explore and learn aswell, but I'm not sure I will get money to go to India once I become a monk here.

Thanks for your answers.
if u know any buddhist teacher (monk) here whose teaching resonates, then go there
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
JC938

Post by JC938 »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:15 pm

Thanks for your answers.
if u know any buddhist teacher (monk) here whose teaching resonates, then go there
I don't know any teacher, I'm planning to go to a not so far monastery where I had spent a night as a white dress monk before. I think I will get ordain there and live there first as white dress, then become a real monk eventually, and about travelling to India to explore and learn sanskrit, I will do that after maybe later after I have become a monk. But I still don't know how I will get the money to travel beside asking my family for money to travel.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

JC938 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:24 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:15 pm

Thanks for your answers.
I don't know any teacher, I'm planning to go to a not so far monastery where I had spent a night as a white dress monk before. I think I will get ordain there and live there first as white dress, then become a real monk eventually, and about travelling to India to explore and learn sanskrit, I will do that after maybe later after I have become a monk. But I still don't know how I will get the money to travel beside asking my family for money to travel.
can u ask money after u became monk? i dont know as after u become monk u will see everyone equally ? the barrier like parents, relatives, common folk will be removed?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

JC938 wrote:My question is, where do you think i should ordain, actually ordaining in Thailand should be much easier for me, but I don't want to be stuck in the monastery, I want to travel, explore and learn aswell, but I'm not sure I will get money to go to India once I become a monk here.
Take one small step at a time. Try out that "white-dress" period for a while at your nearby temple to see if you can truly handle the monastic life first. If it's a suitable lifestyle for you, then carry on with the next steps; if not, your hometown is nearby and you can just go back to it. If you go to India right away, and if things don't work out, factoring in all the ongoing Covid's traveling regulations and stuff, and things could get hairy in a hurry.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

If you have no money to go to India, then the question may already be answered for you. Just ordain in Thailand, you can always travel elsewhere later.
JC938

Post by JC938 »

santa100 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:26 pm
JC938 wrote:My question is, where do you think i should ordain, actually ordaining in Thailand should be much easier for me, but I don't want to be stuck in the monastery, I want to travel, explore and learn aswell, but I'm not sure I will get money to go to India once I become a monk here.
Take one small step at a time. Try out that "white-dress" period for a while at your nearby temple to see if you can truly handle the monastic life first. If it's a suitable lifestyle for you, then carry on with the next steps; if not, your hometown is nearby and you can just go back to it. If you go to India right away, and if things don't work out, factoring in all the ongoing Covid's traveling regulations and stuff, and things could get hairy in a hurry.
Thanks.

Im now wearing white dress sitting in a kutti. I will be here for 3 days.
Bhikkhu Ariyananda

Post by Bhikkhu Ariyananda »

If you want to learn Pali

Mahabodhi Monastic Institute ,India

Mahabodhi Monastery Bangalore,India : established by the great Scholar Monk Acarya Buddharakhitta who was part of Sixth Buddhist council in Myanmar or affectionately called Bada Bhanteji here in 1956.

https://mahabodhi.info
With Metta
Bhikkhu Ariyananda
https://ledimonk.wordpress.com/

"Wanting has no END but freedom from WANTING has an END" - Ajahn Brahm
chownah

Post by chownah »

JC938 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:48 pm My question is, where do you think i should ordain, actually ordaining in Thailand should be much easier for me, but I don't want to be stuck in the monastery, I want to travel, explore and learn aswell, but I'm not sure I will get money to go to India once I become a monk here.

Thanks for your answers.
I might be wrong but I think that ordaining will sort of tie you down to one monastery pretty much for the first several years I think....if you want to travel and explore then probably better to not ordain....unless you are thinking that ordaining will provide you with a free ride.....monks do make money in Thailand even after only a few months after ordaining (or at least this is what happens sometimes at the wat in the village where I live in Thailand....combine this with virtually no living expense if one wants to live like an ascetic (many monks don't seem to want to live like an ascetic) and you could probably save some money pretty quickly (quickly means many months or couple of years I guess) and you could always defrock when you have saved enough and then go travel and re-ordain later.
chownah
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

chownah wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:24 pm
JC938 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:48 pm My question is, where do you think i should ordain, actually ordaining in Thailand should be much easier for me, but I don't want to be stuck in the monastery, I want to travel, explore and learn aswell, but I'm not sure I will get money to go to India once I become a monk here.

Thanks for your answers.
I might be wrong but I think that ordaining will sort of tie you down to one monastery pretty much for the first several years I think....if you want to travel and explore then probably better to not ordain....unless you are thinking that ordaining will provide you with a free ride.....monks do make money in Thailand even after only a few months after ordaining (or at least this is what happens sometimes at the wat in the village where I live in Thailand....combine this with virtually no living expense if one wants to live like an ascetic (many monks don't seem to want to live like an ascetic) and you could probably save some money pretty quickly (quickly means many months or couple of years I guess) and you could always defrock when you have saved enough and then go travel and re-ordain later.
chownah
how will monks earn money?
sakyan

Post by sakyan »

Thanks for your answers.
You said you like Hinduism but Hinduism is nothing but a collection of views and theories. Also Sanskrit is a mere language. It is not proper for wise ones interested in nibbana to waste time over such things.

Buddha Dhamma is far superior, there is no superior thing than the dhamma. It is better to ordain and practice in Thailand without wasting any time.

Dhamma and the 4 Noble truths are same in India or Thailand or in any part of the world.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If you want to ordain between India and Thailand, ordain in Burma. :stirthepot:

If Sanskrit is not difficult for you then Pali will not be difficult to learn either. That is what you need to study the texts.

However, the important point is to find a suitable teacher and a monastery first. Thailand will be your best option as you already speak Thai, and you will not need to worry about visas or travel costs.

Do not think about travelling to India for a long time yet. A monk should get a thorough training before travelling abroad to study elsewhere. There are so many things about being a good monk that you cannot find in any books. Visit a few monasteries, stay for a few days, and see how the monks live. Do they accept cash? If they do, move on to somewhere else.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Visit a few monasteries, stay for a few days, and see how the monks live. Do they accept cash? If they do, move on to somewhere else.
I commend you on your observance of the Vinaya on money handling. You indeed belong to that exceedingly rare dying breed of monastics who don't take money!