How "letting go" of Buddhism differ from the letting go of Taoism?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW

How "letting go" of Buddhism differ from the letting go of Taoism?

Post by SarathW »

How letting go of Buddhism differ from the letting go of Taoism?

Previous discussion on letting go.

https://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.p ... go#p488860

Taoism "Letting go"

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Re: How "letting go" of Buddhism differ from the letting go of Taoism?

Post by SarathW »

I heard the following story many times but never understood its deeper meaning until now.

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

SarathW wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:24 am How letting go of Buddhism differ from the letting go of Taoism?
Thanks for two very nice videos.

My thoughts are that the suttas emphasise letting go to a lesser extent; that they also emphasise Right Effort, and say that we should uproot the anusayā.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Is there any source of "letting go" as a teaching of Gotama among English sutta translations?
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SteRo wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:51 am Is there any source of "letting go" as a teaching of Gotama among English sutta translations?
is letting go is voilitation activity or not?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SarathW wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:24 am How letting go of Buddhism differ from the letting go of Taoism?

Previous discussion on letting go.

https://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.p ... go#p488860

Taoism "Letting go"

acc to buddha u let go because even if u hold to something u will lose it...

but u dont have to let go immediatly, u can use it till it helps u

for example, i will use my car till it breaks down, i wont stop using car on the day of my purchase itself..

btw im not sure...
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

SteRo wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:51 am Is there any source of "letting go" as a teaching of Gotama among English sutta translations?
I would have thought it was a translation of pajahati and similar, which are found throughout the suttas. The Forest Tradition and Ajahn Sumedho in particular have helped to popularise the term, but it's usually rendered as "abandons, gives up, relinquishes" etc. in the more popular translations.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

SN 35.101
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

Itivuttaka: The Group of Ones

sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Sariputta advice to a dying Anathapindika:

"... householder, you should train yourself in this way: 'I won't cling to what is seen, heard, sensed, cognized, attained, sought after, pondered by the intellect; my consciousness will not be dependent on that.' That's how you should train yourself."

When this was said, Anathapindika the householder wept and shed tears... "

...not clinging to, abandoning, results in another kind of letting go...?
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:51 pm
is letting go is voilitation activity or not?
That's the decisive point. 'Not having settled down on anything' means there is nothing to let go. Teaching "letting go" therefore isn't appropriate.
Sam Vara wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:18 pm ... but it's usually rendered as "abandons, gives up, relinquishes" etc. in the more popular translations.
If "abandons, gives up, relinquishes" refers to habits of 'settling down on' then that's appropriate and describes a release.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

n the Suttas paṭinissagga and its synonym vossagga are the words that usually get translated ‘relinquishment’, ‘letting go’ and suchlike. What is relinquished is appropriation (ādāna) which is a term for taṇhā and upādāna.

In what sense is vipassanā a power?

Through contemplation of impermanence vipassanā is unshakable by perception of permanence, thus vipassanā is a power.

Through contemplation of pain it is unshakable by perception of pleasure, thus vipassanā is a power.

Through contemplation of not-self it is unshakable by perception of self, thus vipassanā is a power.

Through contemplation of dispassion it is unshakable by delight, thus vipassanā is a power.

Through contemplation of fading away it is unshakable by greed, thus vipassanā is a power.

Through contemplation of cessation it is unshakable by arising, thus vipassanā is a power.

Through contemplation of relinquishment (paṭinissaggānupassanā) it is unshakable by appropriation (ādāna), thus vipassanā is a power.

It is unshakable, immovable and cannot be shifted by ignorance and by the defilements and aggregates that accompany ignorance, thus vipassanā is a power. This is vipassanā as a power.
(Paṭisambhidāmagga 99)

https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 15#p344574
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

SteRo wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:55 am
Sam Vara wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:18 pm ... but it's usually rendered as "abandons, gives up, relinquishes" etc. in the more popular translations.
If "abandons, gives up, relinquishes" refers to habits of 'settling down on' then that's appropriate and describes a release.
Well, it doesn't normally mean that in English, and it's not what pajahati means.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

SarathW wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:16 am n the Suttas paṭinissagga and its synonym vossagga are the words that usually get translated ‘relinquishment’, ‘letting go’ and suchlike. What is relinquished is appropriation (ādāna) which is a term for taṇhā and upādāna.

Yes. 'Non-appropriation' seems to be an aspect of 'non-apprehension' which is the result of 'not settling down on'.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SteRo wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:34 am
SarathW wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:16 am n the Suttas paṭinissagga and its synonym vossagga are the words that usually get translated ‘relinquishment’, ‘letting go’ and suchlike. What is relinquished is appropriation (ādāna) which is a term for taṇhā and upādāna.

Yes. 'Non-appropriation' seems to be an aspect of 'non-apprehension' which is the result of 'not settling down on'.
thanks i understand what non aprrehension is...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

SteRo wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:34 am

What is appropriation?
Could you give me some examples in Buddhist context,please?