A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
white wolf

Sutta help

Post by white wolf »

Dear forum members. I need your help. I was reading a topic:

https://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=37376

I was reading this post:
Dhammanando wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:07 am
binocular wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:15 am In Buddhism, what are the default assumptions about people as such?
Just to be contrary...

It seems most prudent to me to assume that every new person you meet is evil (and perhaps incorrigibly so) unless or until they prove themselves otherwise. In so doing:

1. One will never suffer from disappointed expectations.

2. One will occasionally be in for a pleasant surprise when the assumption turns out to be mistaken.

3. Since it's stated in numerous suttas that the great majority of humans are headed for rebirth in the lower realms (which obviously doesn't come about as a reward for being virtuous) one's assumption will more often than not be in line with the Dhamma.
Venerable Dhammanando wrote that the great majority of humans are headed for rebirth in the lower realms. I would like to read about this. Can anyone copy a sutta? Thank you.
SDC

Re: Sutta help

Post by SDC »

A bunch of suttas in the Pañcagati Peyyālavagga of Sacca Saṃyutta talk about it. Here is the first: SN 56.102
"As fruits fall from the tree, so people too, both young and old, fall when this body breaks." - Raṭṭhapāla (MN 82)
Pārāpariya | Phussa | Subhā of Jīvaka’s Mango Grove | Kappa
perkele

Post by perkele »

white wolf wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:09 pm Venerable Dhammanando wrote that the great majority of humans are headed for rebirth in the lower realms. I would like to read about this. Can anyone copy a sutta? Thank you.
This one:
SN 56.102-113: Pansu Sutta - Dust wrote:
Then the Blessed One, picking up a little bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monks, "What do you think, monks? Which is greater: the little bit of dust I have picked up with the tip of my fingernail, or the great earth?"

"The great earth is far greater, lord. The little bit of dust the Blessed One has picked up with the tip of his fingernail is next to nothing. It doesn't even count. It's no comparison. It's not even a fraction, this little bit of dust the Blessed One has picked up with the tip of his fingernail, when compared with the great earth.

"In the same way, monks, few are the beings who, on passing away from the human realm, are reborn among human beings. Far more are the beings who, on passing away from the human realm, are reborn in hell.

"Therefore your duty is the contemplation, 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress.' Your duty is the contemplation, 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.'"

Then the Blessed One, picking up a little bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monks, "What do you think, monks? Which is greater: the little bit of dust I have picked up with the tip of my fingernail, or the great earth?"

"The great earth is far greater, lord. The little bit of dust the Blessed One has picked up with the tip of his fingernail is next to nothing. It doesn't even count. It's no comparison. It's not even a fraction, this little bit of dust the Blessed One has picked up with the tip of his fingernail, when compared with the great earth.

"In the same way, monks, few are the beings who, on passing away from the human realm, are reborn among human beings. Far more are the beings who, on passing away from the human realm, are reborn in the animal womb... in the domain of the hungry ghosts.

... "In the same way, monks, few are the beings who, on passing away from the human realm, are reborn among devas. Far more are the beings who, on passing away from the human realm, are reborn in hell... in the animal womb... in the domain of the hungry ghosts.

... "In the same way, monks, few are the beings who, on passing away from the deva realm, are reborn among devas. Far more are the beings who, on passing away from the deva realm, are reborn in hell... in the animal womb... in the domain of the hungry ghosts.

... "In the same way, monks, few are the beings who, on passing away from the deva realm, are reborn among human beings. Far more are the beings who, on passing away from the deva realm, are reborn in hell... in the animal womb... in the domain of the hungry ghosts.

"Therefore your duty is the contemplation, 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress.' Your duty is the contemplation, 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.'"
Apparently, this is a series of 12 suttas, iterating through all the possible permutations of this statement:
Passing away from [human realm | deva realm] it is far more likely to be reborn into [animal realm | hungry ghost realm | hell] than into [human realm | deva realm].
Last edited by perkele on Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
white wolf

Post by white wolf »

Thank you very much. :heart:
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Also Dhammapada:
174. Blind is the world; here only a few possess insight. Only a few, like birds escaping from the net, go to realms of bliss.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .budd.html
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati