Did Buddha teach about the unconscious mind?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ceisiwr

Re: Did Buddha teach about the unconscious mind?

Post by Ceisiwr »

The nearest we get is the bhavanga which i believe tradition equates with the luminous mind.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:40 am Did Buddha teach about the unconscious mind?
Yes. Its called "sleep". Refer to this link.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

What is the pali word for unconscious mind?
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Buddha taught about the entire framework of the mind, it is not very aimible to teach about meditation and advancement in Spiritual Life without exploring levels of consciousness and the unconscious mind, as well as sleep and other things that one has to overcome (sleep is a type of different "unconsciousness" from the unconscious or subconscious mind you are referring to, the kind one has when awake and also in the sleeping state). Since Buddhahood encompasses the entire mind, Buddha taught about every aspect of the mind when referring to it in His Teachings.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

DooDoot wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:39 am
SarathW wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:40 am Did Buddha teach about the unconscious mind?
Yes. Its called "sleep". Refer to this link.
and he advised to sleep less
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

SarathW wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:50 am What is the pali word for unconscious mind?
From what I have read vingnana is awareness of the mind which is consciousness. The opposite when the mind is off vingnana or unconscious is avingnana or avingnanika.
When the mind is not in contact with 5 senses is avingnana or unconscious and is possible during sleep.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I can't recall the word Avinnana is used in Sutta.
Could you give me the link please?
greenjuice

Post by greenjuice »

Anusayas - "latencies" /inclinations /tendencies /proclivities would be the subconscious mind, or at least the part of it. All the mentioned anusayas (the seven of them*) seem to be unwholesome. This opens the question what about wholesome tendencies, making way for positing another part of the subconscious mind which inclines us towards wholesome things.

the latent tendency of lust for sense pleasure (kamaraganusaya)
the latent tendency of aversion (patighanusaya)
the latent tendency of pride (mananusaya)
the latent tendency of (wrong) views (ditthanusaya)
the latent tendency of doubt (vicikicchanusaya)
the latent tendency of lust for becoming (bhava-raganusaya)
the latent tendency of ignorance (avijjanusaya)
form

Post by form »

The Buddha do not present the mind in Freudian model.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Not directly.

The teachings on DO are presented as the middle path rooted in ignorance. The middle path rooted in ignorance is the path of intentional actions (good and bad kamma) or choice. In this stage of the practice, dependently originated phenomena is to be investigated which includes consciousness and thought. This stage of investigation is analytical utilizing memory, cause and effect to understand phenomena. The knowledge gained here enhances the practitioner's capacity to explain conventional reality, but ultimately unreliable.

Mundane going against the grain implies looking at what the majority often overlooks. For example, very few are aware of how much their actions are motivated by death, either seeking it or avoiding it. In the higher teachings, any knowledge dependent on death would be unreliable, because death itself has no ultimate truth to it.

So, my answer would be yes. the Tathagata teaches the Dhamma via the middle which includes DO even through its rooted in ignorance. The understanding of DO helps the practitioner attain mundane right view through the analytical mind.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
binocular

Post by binocular »

form wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:20 pmThe Buddha do not present the mind in Freudian model.
Nor do many others.

The notion of the "unconscious mind" has to do with taboos, ie. things that a decent person would not say and do in polite (upper) middle class society, not with not knowing one's own mind.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Verse 301. The Mind That Takes Delight in Meditation

Well awakened, they’re awake
ever the Buddha’s pupils
who constantly by day, by night
in meditation take delight.

Explanation: Those disciples of the Buddha who take delight in meditation day and night, arise wide awake and in full control of their faculties.

http://www.buddhanet.net/dhammapada/d_misc.htm
:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
form

Post by form »

binocular wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:40 pm
form wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:20 pmThe Buddha do not present the mind in Freudian model.
Nor do many others.

The notion of the "unconscious mind" has to do with taboos, ie. things that a decent person would not say and do in polite (upper) middle class society, not with not knowing one's own mind.
I won't say don't have. Just that it is not in the model style. Some of the posts here has presented certain evidence that the unconscious aspects of the mind exist from the perspective of the nikaya, but the Buddha do not present it as a freudian model.

For example, some will associate free association with meditation. But this will be up to individuals. To me it helps, to some, they will think better do not do it this way as it is not the same as the sutta materials.