Can other religions contain eightfold path?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
form

Can other religions contain eightfold path?

Post by form »

Is that a possibility?
AlexBrains92

Re: Can other religions contain eightfold path?

Post by AlexBrains92 »

You can check that.

«He does not construct even the subtlest apperception with regard
to what is seen, heard or thought; how would one conceptualise
that Brahmin in this world, who does not appropriate a view?

They do not fabricate, they do not prefer, they do not accept any
doctrine; the Brahmin cannot be inferred through virtue or vows,
such a person has gone to the far shore and does not fall back.»

- Snp 4.5 -
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Start with checking right view.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
greenjuice

Post by greenjuice »

I don't see why not. They can even reach the 4th formless jhana without the Buddha. as evidenced by the fact that Gautama Buddha learned it from someone else.
form

Post by form »

Someone pointed out that the Buddha said other section can reach nibanna if their teaching contain eight fold path. But where is the reference?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Theoretically they could, but I don't think there is one. Jainism comes very close. They contain perhaps 7 of the 8 parts of the eightfold path. Their precepts are virtually identical to the precepts of Buddhism.
https://dhammawiki.com/index.php/Buddhism_and_Jainism

The only one Jainism is missing is Right View, with the Jain incorrect views on kamma and DO. The rest, even Right Concentration, appears to be the same as Buddhism.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

The points in which I see great discrepancy are:
Right view - in regard to the four noble truths.
What other religion teaches the pañcakhanda is dukkha, anicca and anattā? Most religions refer to some of the khandas as a soul, like consciousness. This goes against the anattā doctrine.
Other religions also preach the post life eternal (anicca??) paradise or hell.
Sīla - I know a few religions which preach the non-harming of other sentient beings. Christianity says animals are barren of soul and that there is nothing wrong in killing them, for example.
Right Sāti - the whole point of mindfulness is seeing anattā through the four frames of reference. Again, what religion teaches anattā???
Last edited by rhinoceroshorn on Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

only buddhism have 8 fold path...

other religion dont even have supermundane right view
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

form wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:01 pm Someone pointed out that the Buddha said other section can reach nibanna if their teaching contain eight fold path. But where is the reference?
Yes..

that Sutta exists.

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

If another restaurant had KFC's blend of herbs and spices for cooking fried chicken it would be a KFC. Similarly, Jesus's students brought complaints to him that outsiders were being seen healing and other miracles in his name. They wanted Jesus to tell them to stop, but Jesus said they were all on the same team. Now you are asking what you call someone who practices Buddha's Dharma.
greenjuice

Post by greenjuice »

Regarding right view, the main thing I think which is important there is the view that there one should do good deeds, that reward and punishment for good and bad deeds exists, that the afterlife exists, that morality exists. Buddha specifically pointed out the wrong view as being that which denies good deeds, afterlife, and morality.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

greenjuice wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:43 pm Regarding right view, the main thing I think which is important there is the view that there one should do good deeds, that reward and punishment for good and bad deeds exists, that the afterlife exists, that morality exists. Buddha specifically pointed out the wrong view as being that which denies good deeds, afterlife, and morality.
I didn't mention this because other religions have more or less the same notion but they include a god in the formula. They fail to understand that everything is a process without a controller.
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:06 pm They fail to understand that everything is a process without a controller.
The process controls. The law of kamma controls the fruits of happiness & suffering. There is a controller.
greenjuice wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:43 pm Regarding right view, the main thing I think which is important there is the view that there one should do good deeds, that reward and punishment for good and bad deeds exists, that the afterlife exists, that morality exists. Buddha specifically pointed out the wrong view as being that which denies good deeds, afterlife, and morality.
The above is not part of the Noble Eightfold Path.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I think Taoism can lead to attaining right view
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

All the above answers got this question wrong. Unfortunately.
We all follow the eightfold path.
Even a child follow the eightfold path.
Every religion teaches an eightfold path.
Buddha only taught the Noble Eightfold Path.
The word missing in the OP question is the "Noble"
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”