concept of luck

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mahabrahma

Re: concept of luck

Post by Mahabrahma »

form wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:26 am
Mahabrahma wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:02 am
form wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:44 am There is a sutta on karma that talks about if a person kept lying and rebirth as human, people do not trust him. If one steals a lot and came back as a human, he lose his possession easily. The to me is probability statistics or can be termed as luck?
Ultimately what kind of karma is going to hit a person is based on the contents of their character and their endeavour, though there are other factors as well.
Tendencies and probability.

Some people with occult knowledge on this aspect may know more. The Buddha do not elaborate on this area probably it is not beneficial to know too much.
There is nothing as sublime and pleasing as Transcendental knowledge. Don't look at it as an occult thing. Try to understand things from the Buddha's perspective, because He, like you, once strove for an Awakening of understanding just like you have.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
form

Post by form »

Mahabrahma wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:35 am
form wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:26 am
Mahabrahma wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:02 am

Ultimately what kind of karma is going to hit a person is based on the contents of their character and their endeavour, though there are other factors as well.
Tendencies and probability.

Some people with occult knowledge on this aspect may know more. The Buddha do not elaborate on this area probably it is not beneficial to know too much.
There is nothing as sublime and pleasing as Transcendental knowledge. Don't look at it as an occult thing. Try to understand things from the Buddha's perspective, because He, like you, once strove for an Awakening of understanding just like you have.
I am talking from the perspective of using occult knowledge of luck to get rich, relationships etc.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

form wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:38 am I am talking from the perspective of using occult knowledge of luck to get rich, relationships etc.
I see what you are saying, Buddhism isn't meant for material gain, but for Spiritual gain. Knowledge for material gain is useless in comparison, so it is good not to be troubled over it. You are correct. There is a way to Spiritually prosper however, but if the prosperity isn't used for Spiritual means (building monasteries, feeding the poor, buying robes and Spiritual books, Spiritual livelihood), then it is to be considered useless. So you are right. It's not good to prolong one's entanglement in Samsara.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Nama/rupa based knowledge implies the causal, which implies the physical, which implies the metaphysical. As such, the metaphysical is inseparable from this kind of knowledge and that includes luck,.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
form

Post by form »

Luck will mean gambling luck, career luck, relationship luck, wealth luck. In Buddhism will be the way to a fortunate rebirth, or for some being wholesome may very quickly change things around.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

"And what is the safe-bet teaching?
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Practicing mindfulness will improve your luck because it is a skill which can be learned. Opportunities are already present. The ability to act on them is what distinguishes a lucky person from one who is unlucky. First your ability to see opportunity improves and then from present moment awareness your ability to choose a different course of action improves.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SteRo wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:29 am
Viachh wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:55 am Good luck in the world is what Buddhism calls good karma.
The world that doesn't know and/or does not believe in the buddhist teachings of causes/conditions and effects speaks of 'luck' which implies coincidence independent of causes/conditions.
Viachh wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:55 am There is no concept of luck in Buddhism.
Since there is nothing that happens independent of causes/conditions according to buddhist teachings.
throwing a dice and winning in first time or anytime winning lottery... whats the cause and condition? i think its mere problability
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:47 pm
Viachh wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:55 am Good luck in the world is what Buddhism calls good karma.
The world that doesn't know and/or does not believe in the buddhist teachings of causes/conditions and effects speaks of 'luck' which implies coincidence independent of causes/conditions.
Viachh wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:55 am There is no concept of luck in Buddhism.
Since there is nothing that happens independent of causes/conditions according to buddhist teachings.
throwing a dice and winning in first time or anytime winning lottery... whats the cause and condition? i think its mere problability
The world has many words to characterize events. Nevertheless even the results of throwing dice and winning in lottery has causes and conditions.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

The word 'luck' much like the word 'justice' is contextually limited to the doctrine of 'a self'. It does not apply to contexts & systems of thought such as quantum mechanics, ie the electrons are neither just nor lucky, the charge and color of quanta are neither just nor lucky, yet we can use this system of thought to understand the world. Our best and most accurate systems of understanding the world do not admit of luck, justice nor of a self, these can not be pinned down as a truth or reality beyond that 'doctrine of a self'.

It is only in the contexts of the doctrine of self that one conceives of beings.

In the dhamma there is also a normative expression where one would use 'the doctrine of self' as ie; 'I am percepient'.
There is also another context that does not admit of a self, ie; 'All that arises is bad, the cessation of bad is good', here self isn't included in the scope of 'bad' because if it's dukkha then it's not under one's control; or 'The all is just eye & forms, nose & smells, ear & sounds, togue & flavors, body & bodily sensations, mind & ideation. Repudiating this All there is nothing. Only this is true, everything else is false', here the ideas of self would not be repudiating 'the all' and would be included in the scope of 'ideation' and further classified as 'wrong view' because it can not be pinned down as a truth or reality. It is a delusional system of understanding the world but this system of thought is tremendously important because thinking along these lines begets the bad [dukkha].

In the Dhamma there is ultimately no luck or justice, there are just inferable elements with their causal relations, much like qm, perception is neither lucky nor just, it just comes into play due to contact.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SteRo wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:53 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:47 pm

The world has many words to characterize events. Nevertheless even the results of throwing dice and winning in lottery has causes and conditions.
ah.. i got it..
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...