Are gods bored and can they meditate?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Mahabrahma

Re: Are gods bored and can they meditate?

Post by Mahabrahma »

If you believe in stuff like this by people who don't want to practice Buddhism in it's fullness themselves, you won't be a full practitioner of Buddhism either, and you won't be fulfilling your destiny. The Lotus Sutra is the most famous Buddhist Sutra and all of those countless people who attain Enlightenment by it are not deluded. Do not disparage Buddhas or their words, which are for all, Mahayana and Theraveda, and especially for you.

I wish you all the best in your Buddhist journey and I believe you are a wonderful Buddhist.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

And the same to you, Ms/Mr/ Mrs Brahma.

:anjali:
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

Dear Mahabrahma you wrote
If you believe in stuff like this by people who don't want to practice Buddhism in it's fullness themselves, you won't be a full practitioner of Buddhism either, and you won't be fulfilling your destiny.
Be careful of what you say, and where you say it. This is a Theravada forum, and you are insulting one of its highly regarded monks, Ven. Sujatho. You must not insult people or things you know nothing about. I did not want to comment on Lotus sutta, but Aloka knows, and she has practiced in that tradition. Why do you get upset with Aloka when she tries to inform us of what we do not know?
If you are so stuck on your Mahayanist latter day views, you should be on a Mahayana forum.
This thread particularly is for learners of Theravada.
Besides once you claimed you are an expert in radiation of Metta to the rest of the world, that you have finessed Brahma Viharas.
To me it does not seem so, considering your reaction to Aloka. She is only trying to help us.
I see where you are coming from.
I read up a bit on Mahayana...below is an excerpt from Wiki, not sure how reliable it is..
it sounds weird to the Theravadins..a small fragment from the excerpt
  • It is therefore considered ineffective to trust in personal meditational and even monastic practices
Living Buddha claimed Samma sati samma Samadhi (right personal practice of) is what leads
one to Nibbana
Pl do not mislead the beginner to Theravada.
With love :candle:

From Wikipedia
However, the Pure Land traditions of Mahayana Buddhism generally focus on the saving nature of the Celestial Buddha Amitābha. In Buddhist eschatology, it is believed that we are currently living in the Latter Day of the Law, a period of 10,000 years where the corrupt nature of the people means the teachings of the Buddha are not listened to.[citation needed] Before this era, the bodhisattva Amitābha made 48 vows, including the vow to accept all sentient beings that called to him, to allow them to take refuge in his Pure land and to teach them the pure dharma. It is therefore considered ineffective to trust in personal meditational and even monastic practices, but to only trust in the primal vow of Amitābha.[3]
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

I don't want to judge anyone here so I am not going to go down that path, nor do I want to comment on the beliefs on some Amitabha Buddhists, a lot of them do meditate, find great solstice in their chanting, and turn to other forms of Buddhism as well. So let's not turn sour. It's okay, we can stop the arguing and continue on with whatever else we can say. All I ask is that no one disparage the Lotus Sutra, if not in knowing that it is a sin in itself to do so, but then in just not to upset me, because it's a book I hold dear, and that isn't for no reason.

With all Buddhist Blessings. :candle:
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I think this topic has run its course as far as a "Theravada For Beginners" topic goes.

If there's any subsequent follow-on questions, please raise them as new topics in the appropriate section.

:thanks:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."