Hillside Hermitage and Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Hillside Hermitage and Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

50796998_2184595221592854_4193282931654918144_o.jpg
I'm unsure how new this site is, but I know it's a different site to the Path Press one where the teachings of Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero (formerly known as Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli) were earlier stored, so I share it here for anyone who may be interested...

Hillside Hermitage
Hillside Hermitage is a small hermitage for Buddhist monks of the Theravada Forest Tradition. It’s located near the Knuckles mountain range in central Sri Lanka. Founded few years ago by Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero (Ninoslav Molnar) , (who has received his Upasampada ordination in the Thai Forest Meditation Tradition over ten years ago) and Venerable Thaniyo Bhikkhu, who joined him shortly afterwards. Venerable Thaniyo received his Upasampada over half a dozen of years ago in the same Forest meditation tradition of Thailand. Couple of years later, Venerable Pannaratana Bhikkhu, originally ordained by the Most Venerable Bhante Henepola Gunaratana at Bhavana Society in USA, has also joined the Hillside Hermitage Sangha.

The following pages contain Nyanamoli Thero’s Teachings, namely the Dhamma talks, writings and photography of the life at the Hermitage.
I've not done a full reconciliation of essays, but it appears there may be some new ones, in addition to audio Dhamma talks and an online version of his wonderful first book: MEANINGS, Essays and Letters on Dhamma (2014)
Preface from MEANINGS wrote:Doubt always remains present and it continuously needs fixing. But how to realize the ideal meaning, if not by following what others have done and by fulfilling commonly-accepted techniques and views? What is the real meaning of existence and suffering?

Meanings is not a book to give direct answers to such questions. There is nothing here that you can take up as a belief, an empty speculation or a theory. The author, Ven. Ajahn Ñāṇamoli, refrains from explaining Dhamma, an act which he regards as mere psychological investigation and linearly-connected facts. Here is no intent to set up a fixed theory. What the author does do is describe the nature of experience as it is: not about this or that problem or fact in the world, but the experience as such—Dhamma, which has to be investigated with proper attention e.g. seeing the present simultaneous relationship of an arisen thing and its determination. With proper attention, the being of things is gradually revealed—and not understanding the nature of this being, the author says, is the fundamental ignorance. He then describes nothing but the nature, the dhamma, of things—not by looking for the meaning, but understanding meanings.

‘Essays’, the first part of the book, contains just that: descriptions of the experience. This is no doubt difficult material to digest: it demands that the reader recognize those described things in his own experience. Without developed mindfulness and right attention, these writings will be impossible to grasp.

The second part of the book, the ‘Correspondence with Mathias’, provides useful support in understanding the essays. This private correspondence has been taking place with a German friend, Mathias, since 2009.

The third part, ‘Additional Texts’, contains questions posted on http://www.pathpress.org by people who wanted to understand the essays and sought clarification, with answers by Ven. Ñāṇamoli.
Previous Dhamma Wheel discussions on his teachings:

- "Appearance and Existence" by Ven. Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
- Ven. Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli's notes on meditation
- Phenomenological writing by Ven. N. Nanamoli

:meditate:

:reading:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
daniil

Re: Hillside Hermitage and Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero

Post by daniil »

Here is their YouTube channel.
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKejmWAt_kNpRMq5gQEGAqw

Tons of great topics and constant stream of new material
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

I reached out on path press to get a copy of meanings recently but never heard back. Strange.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
SDC

Post by SDC »

Idappaccayata wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:17 pm I reached out on path press to get a copy of meanings recently but never heard back. Strange.
To the best of my knowledge they only printed 125 hardcover copies and they quickly sold out.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

SDC wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:42 pm
Idappaccayata wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:17 pm I reached out on path press to get a copy of meanings recently but never heard back. Strange.
To the best of my knowledge they only printed 125 hardcover copies and they quickly sold out.

Ahh that makes sense.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
pathpress

Post by pathpress »

I am sorry that the office has not responded yet. The book is actually still available.

On page http://www.pathpresspublications.com/en ... 2/Meanings below is said:
Through generous donations it is possible to make this book available for €5,- plus actual shipping costs (incl. Track-&-trace) only!

Belgium: €5 + €8 (postage & packing) = €13,-
Other European countries: €5 + €15 (postage & packing) = €20,-
Rest of the world: €5 + €25 (postage & packing) = €30,-

If you want to receive a copy of Meanings send an e-mail with your name and address to [email protected]. You will receive an invoice with the correct shippings costs (postage & packing) and instructions for payment. After we received your payment we'll send you the book.
I hope that helps
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

pathpress wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 am
I am sorry that the office has not responded yet. The book is actually still available.

On page http://www.pathpresspublications.com/en ... 2/Meanings below is said:
Through generous donations it is possible to make this book available for €5,- plus actual shipping costs (incl. Track-&-trace) only!

Belgium: €5 + €8 (postage & packing) = €13,-
Other European countries: €5 + €15 (postage & packing) = €20,-
Rest of the world: €5 + €25 (postage & packing) = €30,-

If you want to receive a copy of Meanings send an e-mail with your name and address to [email protected]. You will receive an invoice with the correct shippings costs (postage & packing) and instructions for payment. After we received your payment we'll send you the book.
I hope that helps
Thank you! I'll send another email. Maybe the last one didn't go through.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
bridif1

Post by bridif1 »

pathpress wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 am If you want to receive a copy of Meanings send an e-mail with your name and address to [email protected]. You will receive an invoice with the correct shippings costs (postage & packing) and instructions for payment. After we received your payment we'll send you the book.
I hope that helps
[/quote]

Hi!

I know this thread is from last year, but I recently bought a copy of "Meanings" as well, but I haven't received any answer. I wrote to the indicated address, but there's no response yet.

Does anyone know how to communicate with PPP?

I'd appreciate if anyone could help me with this.

Kind regards!
SDC

Post by SDC »

bridif1 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:22 pm Does anyone know how to communicate with PPP?

Kind regards!
I also sent through the general contact email and received no response.

I just sent something direct to one of the committee members. I'll keep you posted.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

bridif1
Hi!

I know this thread is from last year, but I recently bought a copy of "Meanings" as well, but I haven't received any answer. I wrote to the indicated address, but there's no response yet.

Does anyone know how to communicate with PPP?

Kind regards!

It can take a while to arrive. My copy did.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
bridif1

Post by bridif1 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:12 pm It can take a while to arrive. My copy did.
Thanks for your answer!

Just to have some references, how much time did it take?

I live in Chile, in South America, so I think it would take a little longer than what most people have to wait.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

bridif1 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:11 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:12 pm It can take a while to arrive. My copy did.
Thanks for your answer!

I live in Chile, in South America, so I think it would take a little longer than what most people have to wait.
About 4-5 weeks.
bridif1

Post by bridif1 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:56 pm About 4-5 weeks.
Thanks!

Have a nice day.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

bridif1 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:50 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:56 pm About 4-5 weeks.
Thanks!

Have a nice day.
And you.
Cortadew

Post by Cortadew »

bridif1 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:11 pm
Thanks for your answer!

¿Practicas con Buddha-dhamma Chile a cargo del Venerable Gyamtso?