Sadhguru

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Inedible

Re: Sadhguru

Post by Inedible »

I'd like to think someone here has a high level of spiritual awareness, but so far it seems like the ordinary level and lots of belligerence. Lots of religions can get you to heaven by making you a better, more politically correct person now. Unfortunately the way out of Samsara is a narrow path and Buddha had the only map.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Inedible wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:56 am I'd like to think someone here has a high level of spiritual awareness, but so far it seems like the ordinary level and lots of belligerence. Lots of religions can get you to heaven by making you a better, more politically correct person now. Unfortunately the way out of Samsara is a narrow path and Buddha had the only map.
Agree.
But we have to understand that we all are on a path.
Different people a different levels of that path.
You always you can learn from someone ahead of you even if you know that is not the ultimate destination.
It is like going a long journey through many towns.
A strange in the first town might know only how to reach the second town.
So you go to the second town and get direction to go to the third town from someone else.
You got this very old map for the destination but the instructions may not be very clear to you.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Yes, yes, but ultimately we are all going to the same place. I once heard someone say this to me, and I vehemently said "Hopefully", but now I ultimately realize the Buddha will save us all. There are many towns, many roads, many paths, but the ones that have Spirituality to them are all looking for the Same Enlightenment. Pure Metta for all beings that embraces all Species. The highest wisdom is Love, and that is all that there will be when everyone is Enlightened.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Along the way I have definitely learned valuable lessons from a lot of good people who are on their way up to a variety of heavens. I just don't want to go with them. It is better to follow Buddha. Eventually the goal is to empty out all of Samsara, but do you really want to wait billions or trillions of years for something you can do now?
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Heaven isn't a place bereft of Enlightenment. We are down here to save others as Buddhists. The Heavens in the Spiritual World are far from the reach of Samsara and one can stay there and work on their Enlightenment in peace indefinitely.

-Dhammapada.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Inedible wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:56 am I'd like to think someone here has a high level of spiritual awareness, but so far it seems like the ordinary level and lots of belligerence. Lots of religions can get you to heaven by making you a better, more politically correct person now. Unfortunately the way out of Samsara is a narrow path and Buddha had the only map.
I don't think so. Some Hindus must have come across awakened wisdom because they had very deep samadhi. Taoists could do, or Jains.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

SarathW wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:08 am
Agree.
You always you can learn from someone ahead of you even if you know that is not the ultimate destination.
So you go to the second town and get direction to go to the third town from someone else.
You got this very old map for the destination but the instructions may not be very clear to you.
I like this analogy. Very nice SarathW!
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Yep. It's not like anyone couldn't get Enlightened before Guatama's Awakening at Gaya. However, His Path is Perfect, and all will follow it eventually.

-Dhammapada.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

In fact many Sages reached His exact level of Awakened Enlightenment under the Same Bodhi Tree before He did. He was the figurehead in our era to bring this Enlightenment to all. The Path is One.

-Dhammapada.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Mahabrahma wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:34 am In fact many Sages reached His exact level of Awakened Enlightenment under the Same Bodhi Tree before He did. He was the figurehead in our era to bring this Enlightenment to all. The Path is One.
I agree with you Mahabrahma but you got to understand this is a Theravada forum so no point in trying to proselytize.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

I understand, but Theravada Buddhism also connects to other paths, at least for the purposes of preaching. Hence this "Connections To Other Paths" section. I think it is quite helpful. :yingyang:

-Dhammapada.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

One of the things I specifically remember reading was that Buddha went to the best teachers of his time, mastered their teachings, and said they did not lead to Nibbana. The thing that made him The Buddha and not just another Arhat was that he found the way on his own without help from anyone else. His initial reaction was doubt that anyone could learn it.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Inedible wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:43 pm One of the things I specifically remember reading was that Buddha went to the best teachers of his time, mastered their teachings, and said they did not lead to Nibbana. The thing that made him The Buddha and not just another Arhat was that he found the way on his own without help from anyone else. His initial reaction was doubt that anyone could learn it.
who is the best teacher living now?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

tamdrin wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:29 am
SarathW wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:08 am
Agree.
I like this analogy. Very nice SarathW!
Thank you.
Perhaps you might like the following Sutta better. :D

Ratha-vinita Sutta
https://accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn ... .than.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:01 pm who is the best teacher living now?
You are your own best teacher. Buddha answered that one on his last day. No one else can put in the time meditating for you. I have spent a lot of time looking for anyone who might be able, but without success. Plenty of them will take your money anyway.