Where to buy "Clearing the Path"?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Idappaccayata

Where to buy "Clearing the Path"?

Post by Idappaccayata »

Does anyone know where I can get a physical copy of Nanavira's clearing the path, particularly in the US? I currently have notes on dhamma, but I've heard the letters are useful to make sense of the notes. I would gift my current "notes" if I was able to buy the collection.

I thought path press was the best/only place, but I'm not sure if it still is. The site appears to not be secure. Plus, shipping to the US makes it quite expensive. It might be my only option though.

Thanks
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
BVira

Re: Where to buy "Clearing the Path"?

Post by BVira »

Indeed the Letters contain many gems throughout that are very useful because in them he is using a more vernacular and accessible narrative whereas the Notes are strictly technical. The Path Press website is the only place I know to order it, and indeed shipping to the US does make it a bit more pricey and it took about a month for my copy to arrive.

Alternatively though here is a site containing all of his writing including the Letters that are in Clearing the Path (it's the link called Post-Sotapatti Letters on the top of the main page): https://nanavira.org/
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

nmjojola wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:53 pmAlternatively though here is a site containing all of his writing including the Letters that are in Clearing the Path (it's the link called Post-Sotapatti Letters on the top of the main page): https://nanavira.org/
Your link says:
The aim of this web site is to make more widely available the writings of the late Ven. Ñāṇavīra Thera which, though of extraordinary quality and depth, do not—for different reasons—attract any of the established Buddhist publishers. It is presented as a dhammadāna (gift of Dhamma) and with a deep sense of gratitude by individuals whose lives were significantly affected by an encounter with these writings, in the hope that others, too, might appreciate the right-view guidance which is offered therein.
[my emphasis]

Given the ostensible commitment to dhammadāna I wonder, how do venerables Ñāṇamoli, Hiriko and the rest justify SELLING works that in the past (before these monks got their hands on the publishing rights) were always given away free?
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

Dhammanando wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:41 am Given the ostensible commitment to dhammadāna I wonder, how do venerables Ñāṇamoli, Hiriko and the rest justify SELLING works that in the past (before these monks got their hands on the publishing rights) were always given away free?
I get a sense that (especially in the west) teachers or their associates decide for others what they should be able to give. A common justification is that it's necessary to set minimum charges or charge for 'extras' because students are not giving as much as they are considered able to. The argument is often that there is a free version available too, but for the nicer thing (e-book rather than html page; live retreat rather than recordings) you must pay.
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

It takes a bit of effort but downloading a copy from internet archive, say a pdf option :

https://archive.org/details/ClearingThePath/mode/2up

And printing it, a5 booklet format, mono laser printer, and binding it is doable (if no experience try printing/binding an 8 page booklet to start with) .

It works out at about $5 toner and paper (600 pages, 2per a4, double sided : 300 pieces of a4 paper, toner and paper at 5c per side) + the effort.

Otherwise the link provides options for ebook download.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Over the years I have read a lot of books and so far I don't really see much about this one that makes it special. What are you hoping to gain from studying it?
SDC

Post by SDC »

Dhammanando wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:41 am Given the ostensible commitment to dhammadāna I wonder, how do venerables Ñāṇamoli, Hiriko and the rest justify SELLING works that in the past (before these monks got their hands on the publishing rights) were always given away free?
Hi Bhante,

For what it's worth, all the titles are available for free on Path Press or their associated sites. Some members of the Path Press committee are long-term members here, so it might be helpful for us to reach out to them directly for a more comprehensive response, however the "About Us" page on Path Press sheds a bit more light on the matter than does the one on nanavira.org:
Path Press was founded in Sri Lanka in 1987 by Ven. Bodhesako. It is an entity with a small group of 2 bhikkhus/sāmanera and 4 laymen (upāsakas).

Its main mission is to encourage the study, practice and realization of the Buddha’s teachings (the Dhamma) as recorded in the Suttas and to make these teachings available to the general public. Path Press also wishes to continue with the original inspiration to make available the teachings of Ven. Ñāṇavīra Thera, Ven. N. Ñāṇamoli Thera, and also to publish other works which are inspired by the original teachings of the Buddha and teachings which are described in phenomenological/existential terms. Path Press also holds the copyrights of all Ven. Ñāṇavīra Thera’s writings together with writings of Ven. Bodhesako and Sister Vajirā.

‘Path Press‘ (PP) was a name of convenience, originally intended to include those who, through the years, have contributed their various talents to bring Clearing the Path, the Dhamma book of Ven. Ñāṇavīra, to realization. Path Press was not planned to be an ongoing publishing house. However, in 2009 it turned out that there remains sufficient worthwhile material from the writings of the Venerable Ñāṇavīra Thera to issue other volumes to the present work; and there are a few other writings, unpublished or now out of print, which, like Clearing the Path, are of high quality, worthy of publication or reprinting. Therefore it was established a publishing house, called ‘Path Press Publications‘ (PPP) (www.pathpresspublications.com). PPP is a subsidiary entity dependent upon PP and its present work is to publish also other works inspired by PP Committee. All PP financial matters and responsibilities in that area shall be handled by PPP, because PP is an informal entity and has no legal status. However PPP remains to be a non-profit entity.

Support Path Press Publications (PPP)

These writings are probably not commercially viable; nor do they represent the views of any established sect, school or university which might sponsor their publication. The idea has been put forward that inasmuch as PPP has already published more than five books of this type it could use that experience as a basis for issuing those occasional writings which are of exceptional merit and yet do not attract established publishers.

If this is to be done, PPP will require financial support: publishing is expensive, and PPP intends to price our books low enough to be affordable to all who are genuinely interested. PPP would also like to distribute copies without charge wherever this is called for (to selected libraries, to worthy members of the monastic order, and so on).

Therefore the facilities of PPP can be utilized to issue these additional writings only with the help of those who agree with us that this is a worthwhile endeavour, and who are willing to support it with their contributions. If you would like to contribute, or to learn more about Path Press or the Publications, or wish to be put on our mailing list for future announcements, please contact us.
I also think it is worthwhile to note that four members of the committee are lay people.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
passel

Post by passel »

It’s been a while, but I remember seeing several hardcover copies at Red Letter Used Books in Boulder, CO. They were stacked above the shelving in the Eastern Philosophy section. Google their number and give them a call, I’m sure they’d be happy to ship.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

If Nanavira were around now I would say he had food allergies. Maybe even that one involving flour. Or an autoimmune disease, but probably the food allergy. He didn't see a way to take control of his diet so he killed himself. But some of the material on addiction was really good.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Idappaccayata wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:27 pm Does anyone know where I can get a physical copy of Nanavira's clearing the path, particularly in the US? I currently have notes on dhamma, but I've heard the letters are useful to make sense of the notes. I would gift my current "notes" if I was able to buy the collection.
You can get Letters on its own here: https://www.online.buddhistcc.com/books ... etail.html

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:40 am Greetings,
Idappaccayata wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:27 pm Does anyone know where I can get a physical copy of Nanavira's clearing the path, particularly in the US? I currently have notes on dhamma, but I've heard the letters are useful to make sense of the notes. I would gift my current "notes" if I was able to buy the collection.
You can get Letters on its own here: https://www.online.buddhistcc.com/books ... etail.html

Metta,
Nice! Thanks Paul. That seems like a pretty valuable site.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Idappaccayata wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:11 pm Nice! Thanks Paul. That seems like a pretty valuable site.
It is. Roughly a decade ago I ordered a good many tomes from the site in question... including the volume you speak of.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:40 pm Greetings,
Idappaccayata wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:11 pm Nice! Thanks Paul. That seems like a pretty valuable site.
It is. Roughly a decade ago I ordered a good many tomes from the site in question... including the volume you speak of.

Metta,
Are there any you recall that you would suggest?

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Idappaccayata wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:23 pm Are there any you recall that you would suggest?
Good question. I'd recommend looking for any suttas you might not have, as no doubt they will be cheap too. I remember getting a compendium of highlights from the Theragatha and Theragatha from there.

The only text I can think of that really stood out, and I've not seen elsewhere that I remember being particularly thought provoking is... "Buddha's Teachings On Aggregates, Doctrine Of Dependant Origination, Mindfulness & Emptiness" by D.T.P. Rajapakse. I can't remember how much of it I agree with but for the Rs.100 it was worth it.

Metta,