help with a mother's request

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
salayatananirodha

help with a mother's request

Post by salayatananirodha »

this is for dylanj, forum member who passed away. i think they may be planning a memorial so this is sort of an urgent request.
any help would be appreciated.
Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 9.31.00 PM.png
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
SarathW

Re: help with a mother's request

Post by SarathW »

Not sure what you are asking.

What about the Bodhi tree leave or the footprint of Buddha . Dhamma Wheel etc.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

i wasnt totally sure either, but like you know how the lions represent something in buddhism, is there a symbol for son, brother and love (separate symbols or not).
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

May not be quite theravada-ish.

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Is it just Mahayana or in the Theravada do you do good things and dedicate the merit for someone else? Like giving money or saving animal lives. Because you can do that for people who have passed on.
SDC

Post by SDC »

The OP is looking for symbols for the words son, brother and love.
salayatananirodha wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:25 am i wasnt totally sure either, but like you know how the lions represent something in buddhism, is there a symbol for son, brother and love (separate symbols or not).
What about the Pali word for each?

Son = putta (use caution, the Spanish word puta means "bitch" and puto even worse than that)

Brother = bhātar

Love = metta
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

SDC wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:34 am Son = putta (use caution, ...
It seems like mara has taken so many beautiful and meaningful words and made the illusions of them being phonetically copied in vulgar slang. Some of the most meaningful ancient Sanskrit words have had this happen to them as well. Very sad.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

SDC wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:34 am Son = putta (use caution, the Spanish word puta means "bitch" and puto even worse than that)
:D Good point, especially in the U.S. where Spanish is the de facto second language.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Mahabrahma wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:00 pm
It seems like mara has taken so many beautiful and meaningful words and made the illusions of them being phonetically copied in vulgar slang. Some of the most meaningful ancient Sanskrit words have had this happen to them as well. Very sad.
The swastika is another example. A great Indian symbol for good luck and karma has been ruined by the Nazis. I know it was used by the Indians first for thousands of years, but I wouldn't dream of wearing a swastika, especially with my bald head.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

If this is to do with a memorial, floral tribute, etc. then maybe the symbols she is looking for would be better as Thai, Sanskrit, Devanagari, etc. as the Pali would normally be rendered in Roman script like this one.

Perhaps one of our resident experts could help?
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

I feel that the most powerful and true offering is the flower, incense, and candlelights (sila, samadhi, pannaa).
Peace and serenity are hallmarks of a Buddhist funeral. An altar is set up to display the deceased’s portrait, along with offerings of candles, incense, flowers, and fruit. An image of the Buddha is placed beside or in front of the altar.
https://www.funeralwise.com/customs/buddhist/
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

May be off topic but there is Mahayana:
Attachments
Tara and Buddhas.png
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

This is a decent website. It covers a lot of Traditions and has many Symbols.

http://www.buddhistsymbols.org/eightsymbols.html

This is just one of the pages. There's quite a bit of info there and they seem to be uncompromising despite it all. :buddha1:

-Dhammapada.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

DNS wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:51 pm
The swastika is another example. A great Indian symbol for good luck and karma has been ruined by the Nazis. I know it was used by the Indians first for thousands of years, but I wouldn't dream of wearing a swastika, especially with my bald head.
Yeah it's terrible, but at least those demons didn't pick some horrific symbol as they were plauging the world. It was definite blasphemy to use it, but it is actually in fact a Buddhist and Vedic symbol, albeit so hurt now, that it actually may have done some amount of good in some veiled ways (the symbol that is), even though worn by very bad people. It may have even lessened the amount of violence those demons did. For example just imagine if they had statues of the Buddha or even chanted a Buddhist Mantra, even once in their life. For example it's better for criminals to wear crosses than not, because of the power of the cross. Though those demons were some very bad criminals. I think in a few hundred years if Spiritual People dodge and weave in when and how it can and can't be used, the symbol can be healed. I don't recommend using it for sacred rights though outside of large or close-knit Buddhist communities. And sacred symbols should not be misused. And I don't want to offend anyone, I Love you all. :heart:

-Dhammapada.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

DNS wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I use this Buddha with a svastika on his chest everyday attached to my watch. YOLO.

It's Amitābha but anyway, almost everyone mistakes the Kamakura Buddha of Japan for Śākyamuni Buddha, too. :mrgreen:

Btw, there are some Chinese characters behind it. If someone here knows Chinese, let me know what is written here.

Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17