Stream enterers and sexual desire

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mahabrahma

Re: Stream enterers and sexual desire

Post by Mahabrahma »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:25 pm
Mahabrahma wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:55 pm You will never erase who you are, Superman.
Superman is a comic book
Did Buddha erase who He was?
We still feel His individual, Ultra powerful Energy. He still exists, and will always exist.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Mahabrahma wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:37 pm Did Buddha erase who He was?
Tathāgata is thought to mean "one who has thus gone"
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:49 pm
Mahabrahma wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:37 pm Did Buddha erase who He was?
Tathāgata is thought to mean "one who has thus gone"
"Well gone", yes, into the Stream of Nibbana, the void, and beyond this world. However although being many, He is still "one who has this gone", and He cannot be erased. His Mahakaruna and Love are forever. And what are we, if not our Love?

-Dhammapada.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Mahabrahma wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:56 pm However although being many, He is still…
many?
Coaching
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

cappuccino wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:35 am
Mahabrahma wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:56 pm However although being many, He is still…
many?
Yes, once there was one, now there are many.

-Dhammapada.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Mahabrahma wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:44 am Yes, once there was one, now there are many.
each Buddha is a different person
Coaching
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

cappuccino wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:47 am
Mahabrahma wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:44 am Yes, once there was one, now there are many.
each Buddha is a different person
Yes, but there are no discrepancies in the words of the Buddhas. In many, many ways they are Same, Same.

-Dhammapada.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Mahabrahma wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:51 am In many, many ways they are the Same
each rediscovers the basic teaching
Coaching
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

maniture_85 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:21 am
SteRo wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:23 am
Tom wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:00 am Does attaining stream entry decrease sexual desire?
No. Attenuation occurs with Once-Returner, not before. However the sotapanna does not conceptually self-identify with sexual desire anymore, his self does not conceptually depend on the satisfaction of sexual desire anymore. Thus a sotapanna will neither seek sexual pleasure nor sexual relief anymore and will not entertain thoughts about sexual pleasures, fantasies and the like.
Interesting answer, but i don't agree with the last sentence.
Sexual desire can still arise even when one is alone because of past sankaras. It is the same for other defilements which have been lowered but still not fully controlled by the Sotapanna.
Obviously you have not read the last sentence which you don't agree with. Because it is not about the arising of sexual desire but about seeking sexual pleasure and relief and entertaining thoughts about.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
maniture_85

Post by maniture_85 »

SteRo wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:43 am
SteRo wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:23 am

No. Attenuation occurs with Once-Returner, not before. However the sotapanna does not conceptually self-identify with sexual desire anymore, his self does not conceptually depend on the satisfaction of sexual desire anymore. Thus a sotapanna will neither seek sexual pleasure nor sexual relief anymore and will not entertain thoughts about sexual pleasures, fantasies and the like.
Sexual desire can still arise even when one is alone because of past sankaras. It is the same for other defilements which have been lowered but still not fully controlled by the Sotapanna.
Obviously you have not read the last sentence which you don't agree with. Because it is not about the arising of sexual desire but about seeking sexual pleasure and relief and entertaining thoughts about.
Don't be rude Stero :D Maybe i've not understood it well, maybe because of bad english.
Anyway, i think one can start "seeking" for it when a stimulus comes, and i think it can come anytime because of accumulated impurity in the mind, or for some kind of mind habit pattern. The seeking can start AFTER the arising of desire
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

maniture_85 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:11 am
SteRo wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:43 am
Don't be rude Stero :D Maybe i've not understood it well, maybe because of bad english.
Anyway, i think one can start "seeking" for it when a stimulus comes, and i think it can come anytime because of accumulated impurity in the mind, or for some kind of mind habit pattern. The seeking can start AFTER the arising of desire
What has been said is that the seeking does not start in case of sotapanna. The seeking starts in case of worldling only. Please study and understand the attainments of sotapanna.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

SarathW wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:50 am Visaka (a female) was a Sotapanna and she had about ten children.
The way I understand only Anagami does not have any sexual desire.
I thought she had ten boys and ten girls?

I read The Buddha and His Teachings by Ven. Narada Thera, it says Visākhā is very rich and beautiful, married to a nonBuddhist millionaire named Puññavaddhana. Visākhā is very devoted and submissive to her husband,
.....that she had the good fortune to be the happy mother of ten fortunate sons and ten fortunate daughters.

She died at the ripe age of one hundred and twenty.
Later the whole family became Buddha's followers.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false