What is the practical use of the concept of a citta?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
form

What is the practical use of the concept of a citta?

Post by form »

Other than in contemplation of mind in foundation of mindfulness?
santa100

Re: What is the practical use of the concept of a citta?

Post by santa100 »

form wrote:Other than in contemplation of mind in foundation of mindfulness?
It's like a close-in dissection view of things under a microscope. Advanced meditators' concentration and minfulness strength is so powerful and refined that they can see clearly the arising/disappearance of phenomena per mind-moment, hence the concept of the citta, sorta like what Neo sees after he's been "awaken":
Last edited by santa100 on Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

santa100 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:39 pm
form wrote:Other than in contemplation of mind in foundation of mindfulness?
It's like a close-in dissection view of things under a microscope. Advanced meditators' concentration and minfulness strength is so powerful and refined that they can see clearly the arising/disappearance of phenomena per mind-moment, hence the concept of the citta, sorta like what Neo sees after he's been "awaken":
Neo only Awakened after Trinity kissed Him, therefore a high sense of Metta is needed for certain types of Awakening. Love must not be abandoned, however, but lust is a fetter. We can perceive the world exactly for what it is, but if we do not have Mahakaruna for ourselves and others our citta will be in a state of sad unbelonging. There are very few advanced Buddhists in my opinion who don't form close relationships with others, and although they may be celibate for many lifetimes, they will still eventually return to their partner in one or another. We aren't meant to be alone.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Mahabrahma wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:03 pm Neo only Awakened after Trinity kissed Him, therefore a high sense of Metta is needed for certain types of Awakening. Love must not be abandoned, however, but lust is a fetter. We can perceive the world exactly for what it is, but if we do not have Mahakaruna for ourselves and others our citta will be in a state of sad unbelonging. There are very few advanced Buddhists in my opinion who don't form close relationships with others, and although they may be celibate for many lifetimes, they will still eventually return to their partner in one or another. We aren't meant to be alone.
Don't worry about the kissing scene for it's irrelevant to the OP's topic. I've edited my post to point the video to the relevant part. Thanks.
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

It's an invitation, to look through appearance and see the dhamma behind. Nijjiva nissatta suñña.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

santa100 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:48 pm
Mahabrahma wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:03 pm Neo only Awakened after Trinity kissed Him, therefore a high sense of Metta is needed for certain types of Awakening. Love must not be abandoned, however, but lust is a fetter. We can perceive the world exactly for what it is, but if we do not have Mahakaruna for ourselves and others our citta will be in a state of sad unbelonging. There are very few advanced Buddhists in my opinion who don't form close relationships with others, and although they may be celibate for many lifetimes, they will still eventually return to their partner in one or another. We aren't meant to be alone.
Don't worry about the kissing scene for it's irrelevant to the OP's topic. I've edited my post to point the video to the relevant part. Thanks.
Citta represents the state of one's heart and mind which are integral to Buddhist Awakening so I think you have answered the question.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

santa100 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:39 pm Advanced meditators' concentration and minfulness strength is so powerful and refined that they can see clearly the arising/disappearance of phenomena per mind-moment..
Mindfulness does not "see"... also its probably not ideal to say citta "sees"... even though this does occur in sutta but probably only in association with the quality of the heart, such as:
When my mind had become immersed in samādhi like this—purified, bright, flawless, rid of corruptions, pliable, workable, steady and imperturbable—I extended it toward knowledge of the ending of defilements.

So evaṃ samāhite citte parisuddhe pariyodāte anaṅgaṇe vigatūpakkilese mudubhūte kammaniye ṭhite āneñjappatte āsavānaṃ khayañāṇāya cittaṃ abhininnāmesiṃ.
:alien:
santa100 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:39 pm the concept of the citta, sorta like what Neo sees after he's been "awaken":
lol... childish stuff... ftw :D
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
santa100

Post by santa100 »

DooDoot wrote:Mindfulness does not "see"... also its probably not ideal to say citta "sees"... even though this does occur in sutta but probably only in association with the quality of the heart, such as.
If you don't understand "seeing" as a common word expression, then you simply have no common sense.
lol... childish stuff... ftw
Yeah, like your behavior all along right here on DW and https://buddhism.stackexchange.com/.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

santa100 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:30 pm If you don't understand "seeing" as a common word expression, then you simply have no common sense.
Sorry but citta satipatthana or cittanupassana is not "seeing the seeing".

Anupassi = seeing
Citta = mind-heart
Cittanupassi = seeing the heart
Cittanupassi =/= seeing the seeing
Yeah, like your behavior...
Sorry but the video appears childish. In summary, the words used for the mind sense base are mano and mano-vinnana rather than citta

:smile:
Last edited by DooDoot on Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

santa100

Post by santa100 »

DooDoot wrote:Sorry but citta satipatthana or cittanupassana is not "seeing the seeing"
Sorry but you simply don't have any common sense whatsoever.
Sorry but the video appears childish
The video is just an analogy. So far you have contributed absolutely nothing to the OP, only nitpicking others post. So, sorry but that appears a very childish behavior.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

santa100 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:39 pm The video is just an analogy. So far you have contributed absolutely nothing to the OP, only nitpicking others post. So, sorry but that's a very childish behavior.
Gonna start one of your ongoing rants again. I already refuted your ideas with posting about the Pali. It seems you were wrong, again. What is going on the video (in certain places) is vinnana rather than citta

:focus:

santa100

Post by santa100 »

DooDoot wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:40 pm Gonna start one of your ongoing rants again. I already refuted your ideas with posting about the Pali. It seems you were wrong, again
I'm certainly not the one who started the rants. I repeat, what have you contributed to the OP? It seems you were wrong, again.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

:focus:
form wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:29 am Other than in contemplation of mind in foundation of mindfulness?
Citta is used to describe that which is liberated; thus the common term: "citta vimutti", spelled as "cetovimutti"

santa100

Post by santa100 »

form wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:29 am Other than in contemplation of mind in foundation of mindfulness?
See definitions of citta from Pali Dictionary
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

santa100 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:47 pm See definitions of citta from Pali Dictionary
Buddha did not compose the Pali dictionary

You seem to be posting Carl Sagan, Hollywood movies and English scholars