Sadhguru

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
StrivingforMonkhood

Re: Sadhguru

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:05 amWhat u found
Well, he has said some things of a political nature that I found a bit disheartening. I do understand that he comes from India, and thus has a different political understanding than Americans. I keep this in mind when listening to his comments. What Americans find offensive politically is not maybe something Indians would. Culture comes into play heavily here. I still believe that Sadhguru is misinformed. He also has other things about him that I don't find wholesome and clean. However, I will not judge him. I see the good qualities. I don't want to engage in Wrong Speech, and start judging. I was simply hurt by his words. I think any more discussion about him is not clean and wholesome for me as a Buddhist.

I have great respect for the some of the Yogis of India, as a Buddhist. They have the Dhamma, more or less, and share many things in common with Buddhists. Of course, we know a few of the differences such as soul vs. no soul.

Much love to you in the Dhamma. :namaste:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:28 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:05 amWhat u found
Well, he has said some things of a political nature that I found a bit disheartening. I do understand that he comes from India, and thus has a different political understanding than Americans. I keep this in mind when listening to his comments. What Americans find offensive politically is not maybe something Indians would. Culture comes into play heavily here. I still believe that Sadhguru is misinformed. He also has other things about him that I don't find wholesome and clean. However, I will not judge him. I see the good qualities. I don't want to engage in Wrong Speech, and start judging. I was simply hurt by his words. I think any more discussion about him is not clean and wholesome for me as a Buddhist.

I have great respect for the some of the Yogis of India, as a Buddhist. They have the Dhamma, more or less, and share many things in common with Buddhists. Of course, we know a few of the differences such as soul vs. no soul.

Much love to you in the Dhamma. :namaste:
Yes.. it not wholesome to talk of others
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
StrivingforMonkhood

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:31 pmYes.. it not wholesome to talk of others
Absolutely!

We can strongly disagree but not talk ill of others. I am afraid my language will get out of control to continue. Also, I was disheartened a bit, but I understand that Sadhguru is just one person who is not even a Buddhist. LOL. If he were a Buddhist, I would continue the conversation with caution, but he is not.

:namaste:

We are already Buddha
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

As i understand it, this one holds that there basically are 8 distinct meditative attainments and the 8th is referred to as 'mahasamadhi'. Mahasamadhi is then supposedly an everlasting transcendental state that is achieved by leaving the body.

Attainment of this mahasamadhi is an act of will and a yogi can decide to sever the link to the bodily perception, thus terminating the life-force and never come again.

Of course nobody comes back from the attainment of such mahasamadhi to proclaim the mahasamadhi.
foot chakra

Post by foot chakra »

Striving for Monkhood wrote about being very disturbed by some things that Sadguru said, but not wanting to discuss it because it would be negative speech. Respectfully, may I suggest, that bringing it up and then not discussing the details is worse. Now we are left to imagine what might be these disturbing things in our imagination can run to the worst. It seems it would be better not to mention it at all or else to mention it and explain the details. Now that Striving for Monkhood has raised questions and suspicions in our mind my request would be to explain the essence of what was disturbing so that we don't project our fantasies of what Sadguru said. Or failing that at least give a link to the video that was referenced, please.
StrivingforMonkhood

foot chakra wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:52 pm Striving for Monkhood wrote about being very disturbed by some things that Sadguru said, but not wanting to discuss it because it would be negative speech. Respectfully, may I suggest, that bringing it up and then not discussing the details is worse. Now we are left to imagine what might be these disturbing things in our imagination can run to the worst. It seems it would be better not to mention it at all or else to mention it and explain the details. Now that Striving for Monkhood has raised questions and suspicions in our mind my request would be to explain the essence of what was disturbing so that we don't project our fantasies of what Sadguru said. Or failing that at least give a link to the video that was referenced, please.
I changed my mind after having posted.

First, Sadhguru is not a Buddhist, so I decided to let sleeping dogs lie. I respect him in many ways, but knew that unwholesome speech and gossip may arise if I continue the discussion. I was not being judicial when I decided to post.

Please don't judge my intentions. Please don't judge me. I beg for your kindness.

If you want to PM me to discuss what he had said that bothered me, let me know.

:namaste:

We are already Buddha
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Can Animal be enlightend?

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SarathW wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:57 am Can Animal be enlightend?

Buddha says animals can't be made to follow right view as they are considered bad rebirth and unfavourable rebirth.

also pls dont play with snakes. that r one of the disgusting species on earth..
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

A very balanced view on Black Lives Matter.

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

I can see his view and Theravada buddhism are more or less similar except he adds some rituals like dance and music eventhough he seems to be not attached to anything

I think whoever personally strive for liberation will end up non clinging and hence they share same views as buddhist because buddha also independently came to enlightenment
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Sadhguru says that Akasa is not space.

lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

befriend wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:12 pm OP, start of thread: "(...) I have dabbled In this by letting go of all negative thinking and speech for a day and my mind was already being meditative or mindful. I have an inkling that if I let go of all negative thoughts had good thoughts and speech exercised my body and cultivated emotions like gratitude and brahma viharas my mind would meditate without me deliberately trying it seems like a nice way to integrate your personality with the Dhamma. So my new practice is to exercise, be observant and thoughtful, read to cultivate my mind and let go of negative thoughts. I just thought it was an eye opening talk that seemed to make a lot of sense. Just wanted to share that somewhat different approach to meditation."
No matter where you got this from, it's good advice, found throughout the Theravada suttas.
Cf. all Buddha's teachings on Sila/virtue, wholesome physical verbal mental actions, and suppression of the 5 hindrances as pre-requisites for jhana etc..
Make effort to incline to a given direction, and it gets easier.
48vows

Post by 48vows »

StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:35 pm Each of us is already Buddha, dear friend. It's simply that we have failed to realize this. We are ignorant.
Does theravada accept this statement ?
StrivingforMonkhood

48vows wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:21 pmDoes theravada accept this statement ?
This is a common Zen saying.

I would that indeed Theravada Buddhism accepts the idea that we all have potential to become a Buddha. They won't utter the words the Zen use, but say it differently. They are more likely to say that you to have awaken to become Buddha/free your mind from all its delusions (which takes effort).

Zen say that we are already Buddha to highlight the ability to reach greater enlightenment by see just being completely present in the the present moment.

I could be wrong in what I say, so I stand to be corrected.

Peace and enlightenment.

We are already Buddha
48vows

Post by 48vows »

"we all have potential to become a Buddha" is not the same as "Each of us is already Buddha"