Let's discuss what exactly is "name and form" in DO

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
AlexBrains92

Re: Let's discuss what exactly is "name and form" in DO

Post by AlexBrains92 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:32 pm
AlexBrains92 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:26 pm
coconut wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:15 pm

That would be wrong since those in the formless plane have consciousness that is not confronted with form as an object.
'No rupa' implies 'no namarupa'? I don't think so. The suttas say that consciousness needs namarupa to arise, and vice versa.
There is no rupa in the immaterial realms.
It's not 'rupa' as intended in 'namarupa'.

«He does not construct even the subtlest apperception with regard
to what is seen, heard or thought; how would one conceptualise
that Brahmin in this world, who does not appropriate a view?

They do not fabricate, they do not prefer, they do not accept any
doctrine; the Brahmin cannot be inferred through virtue or vows,
such a person has gone to the far shore and does not fall back.»

- Snp 4.5 -
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

AlexBrains92 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:34 pm
AlexBrains92 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:26 pm

'No rupa' implies 'no namarupa'? I don't think so. The suttas say that consciousness needs namarupa to arise, and vice versa.
Rupa = the 4 great elements and the form derived form them. These do not exist in the immaterial realms. There is no namarupa there, only consciousness, nama and concept.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
AlexBrains92

Post by AlexBrains92 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:37 pm

Rupa = the 4 great elements and the form derived form them. These do not exist in the immaterial realms. There is no namarupa there, only consciousness, nama and concept.
Bhikkhu Kaṭukurunde Ñāṇananda, from 'Nibbāna Sermon 1':
'Form' in 'name-and-form' is a nominal form. It is a form only in name.

- Snp 4.5 -
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

AlexBrains92 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:39 pm

He goes on to say that form = the 4 great elements in namarupa. These do not exist in the immaterial realms.
AlexBrains92

Post by AlexBrains92 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:41 pm

He goes on to say that form = the 4 great elements in namarupa. These do not exist in the immaterial realms.
The 4 great elements... only in name (in namarupa).
However, tell me, how can there be consciousness without namarupa?

- Snp 4.5 -
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

AlexBrains92 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:44 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:41 pm

The 4 great elements... only in name (in namarupa).
However, tell me, how can there be consciousness without namarupa?
Regardless of if they mean literal matter (not my position) or mere sense data/phenomena (my position and Ven. Ñāṇananda's) it stills stands that in the immaterial realms rupa, however you want to define it be it matter or the mere phenomenal experience of "hardness" and resistance etc, does not occur.

There is consciousness, nama and the concept of infinite space.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

“They speak of this thing called the ‘dimension of infinite space’. What is the dimension of infinite space? It occurred to me: ‘It’s when a mendicant—going totally beyond perceptions of form, with the ending of perceptions of impingement, not focusing on perceptions of diversity—aware that “space is infinite”, enters and remains in the dimension of infinite space. This is called the dimension of infinite space.’
https://suttacentral.net/sn40.5/en/sujato
AlexBrains92

Post by AlexBrains92 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:51 pm
“They speak of this thing called the ‘dimension of infinite space’. What is the dimension of infinite space? It occurred to me: ‘It’s when a mendicant—going totally beyond perceptions of form, with the ending of perceptions of impingement, not focusing on perceptions of diversity—aware that “space is infinite”, enters and remains in the dimension of infinite space. This is called the dimension of infinite space.’
No consciousness, here.
You still don't answer my question: how can there be consciousness without namarupa? For the suttas it's a requirement.

- Snp 4.5 -
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

AlexBrains92 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:00 pm
No consciousness, here.
You still don't answer my question: how can there be consciousness without namarupa? For the suttas it's a requirement.
If there were no consciousness then it would be nirodha-samāpatti. Consciousness is still active in the immaterial realms.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

No consciousness, here.
Because consciousness is cognising vedana, sanna, cetana, paññatti etc. All that is missing is rupa.
AlexBrains92

Post by AlexBrains92 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:02 pm

No consciousness, here.
If there were no consciousness then it would be nirodha-samāpatti. Consciousness is still active in the immaterial realms.
Sorry, no consciousness mentioned. Of course there is, because there is namarupa.
Instead of keeping repeating that no rupa = no namarupa, please, answer my question:
how can there be consciousness without namarupa? For the suttas it's a requirement.

- Snp 4.5 -
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

AlexBrains92 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:07 pm

No consciousness, here.
Sorry, no consciousness mentioned. Of course there is, because there is namarupa.
Instead of keeping repeating that no rupa = no namarupa, please, answer my question:
how can there be consciousness without namarupa? For the suttas it's a requirement.
If there is no consciousness in the immaterial realms then there is no difference between any of the arupa jhanas and nirodha-samāpatti. Only nirodha-samāpatti is without consciousness. Your objections are little more than eel-wriggling. I just told you that consciousness is there because it has nama and concept as its object of cognition. The problem for you is in explaining the immaterial realms and in explaining the difference between them and nirodha-samāpatti.
For the suttas it's a requirement.
This is sutta based.
AlexBrains92

Post by AlexBrains92 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:15 pm

If there is no consciousness in the immaterial realms then there is no difference between any of the arupa jhana and nirodha-samāpatti. Only nirodha-samāpatti is without consciousness. Your objections are little more than eel-wriggling. I just told you that consciousness is there because it has nama and concept as its object of cognition. The problem for you is in explaining the immaterial realms and in explaining the difference between them and nirodha-samāpatti.
This is sutta based.
No way. I've already corrected myself, I wasn't meaning that there's no consciousness in immaterial realm.
The problem for you is in explaining how there can be consciousness without namarupa, but just with nama.
Last edited by AlexBrains92 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Snp 4.5 -
coconut

Post by coconut »

No consciousness, here.
You seem to be riddled with wrong views. I recommend you study the suttas rather than second hand sources.

There is consciousness in the formless planes. Consciousness doesn't need FORM to sustain itself, consciousness only needs 3 things to sustain itself

1) Intention
2) Underlying Tendencies
3) Planning
“Bhikkhus, what one intends, and what one plans, and whatever one has a tendency towards: this becomes a basis for the maintenance of consciousness. When there is a basis there is a support for the establishing of consciousness. When consciousness is established and has come to growth, there is the production of future renewed existence. When there is the production of future renewed existence, future birth, aging-and-death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure, and despair come to be. Such is the origin of this whole mass of suffering.

“If, bhikkhus, one does not intend, and one does not plan, but one still has a tendency towards something, this becomes a basis for the maintenance of consciousness. When there is a basis, there is a support for the establishing of consciousness…. Such is the origin of this whole mass of suffering.
https://suttacentral.net/sn12.38/en/bodhi

The plane of "neither perception nor non-perception" is a plane without intention, but beings are still reborn there because they have underlying tendencies
Take the case of the reincarnation where both one’s own and others’ intentions are effective. Those sentient beings pass away from that realm due to both their own and others’ intentions. But sir, in the case of the reincarnation where neither one’s own nor others’ intentions are effective, what kind of gods does this refer to?”

“Sāriputta, it refers to the gods reborn in the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception.”

https://suttacentral.net/an4.171/en/sujato

Even though they have no intention and planning, they're still reborn because of underlying tendencies.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

AlexBrains92 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:18 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:15 pm

If there is no consciousness in the immaterial realms then there is no difference between any of the arupa jhana and nirodha-samāpatti. Only nirodha-samāpatti is without consciousness. Your objections are little more than eel-wriggling. I just told you that consciousness is there because it has nama and concept as its object of cognition. The problem for you is in explaining the immaterial realms and in explaining the difference between them and nirodha-samāpatti.
This is sutta based.
No way. I've already corrected myself, I wasn't meaning that there's no consciousness in immaterial realm.
The problem for you is in explaining how there can be consciousness without namarupa, but just with nama.
Because as the sutta I quoted shows, and DN15 supports, nama does not require rupa and consciousness can exist with just nama and concept as object.
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.