Let's brainstorm ways to benefit others during this covid crisis

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
tamdrin

Let's brainstorm ways to benefit others during this covid crisis

Post by tamdrin »

Hey guys,

I am over here in Thailand and I am looking for ways to make myself available to support others in whatever way possible. The pandemic has not spread here and most Thai people are basically o.k. (as far as I know)

I have given some donations (some to needy people in Nepal and India) but am looking for some more concrete ways to be of service.

What are your suggestions?
SteRo

Re: Let's brainstorm ways to benefit others during this covid crisis

Post by SteRo »

Keep distance, wear mask, wash hands. This is the most efficient way to benefit others.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The best way you can help is by educating them so they will not get the disease if possible.
Waring a mask, social distancing, keeping healthy, caring for the elderly, etc.
To help people who lost their jobs etc. going to be a difficult one.
Perhaps organise a soup kitchen.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

SteRo wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:48 am Keep distance, wear mask, wash hands. This is the most efficient way to benefit others.
We don't have covid transmission (mostly) in Thailand. A lot of people are hurt by the lack of tourism to the country.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Best way to benefit others is to understand the virus is not deadly to 99% of people therefore: (i) reduce fear; (ii) identify vulnerable people; and (iii) be aware lockdowns greatly harm the society, the less wealthy & those needing medical care for other conditions.

The WHO announced only recently it estimates 10% of the world has it - 760 million people!!!

Since many countries do not have it, the rate of having the virus is probably at least 30% in UK, USA, Europe, where it is the greatest.

Recently, one of our DW members wrote he was worried his mother who had Covid would die. Then his whole family got it. I reassured him his mother & family should be OK if they are reasonably healthy and, yes, they were all cured by his doctor using basic medicines.

90% of Covid deaths are over 75 years of age. 94% of USA deaths had an average of 2.6 other medical conditions contributing to death. Refer to CDC Comorbidities.

Also, possibly 1/3 of US deaths were due to malpractice (per link below).

Education is the way. Stop watching TV is the way.

From one of world's leading epidemiologists: Global perspective of COVID‐19 epidemiology for a full‐cycle pandemic (which refers to malpractise and includes saying Covid suppresses Influenza thus reduces Influenza deaths).

New video I am watching now, supporting the above:

From ex-head of Pfzier Research: Dr Mike Yeadon.

Many videos with top scientists & health administrators, here.

Some UK data below:
Attachments
Covid comorbeities.jpg
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

This is in connections to other paths, so I can post about ideas that are more Mahayana. You can save the lives of animals and dedicate the merit to ending the pandemic. You can also try repeating mantras such as for the Medicine Buddha or Tara Buddha.

Also, keep in mind that because of the pandemic people aren't getting routine medical care. Like cancer screening. So deaths due to other causes are also likely to increase later.

And if you want to provide financial support, you can work with groups like Kiva.org who provide microloans. They even have a Theravada Buddhist team you can join. It has been a few years since I was an active member there. The site runs on donations and they have volunteers around the world. They help people who can't get traditional loans. They pay back the loans and you can use the money again to support someone else.