Wow... seeing this video melts my worldy ambition

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
confusedlayman

Wow... seeing this video melts my worldy ambition

Post by confusedlayman »

I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ceisiwr

Re: Wow... seeing this video melts my worldy ambition

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:58 pm
One of the reasons why living forever in this universe is unattractive. Eventually you will be just sat on a barren planet in the cold, dark nothingness of space for all eternity unable to escape. That is of course unless dark energy keeps on accelerating the rate of expansion of the universe to the point where even atoms themselves are ripped apart, The Big Rip, leaving nothing but an eternal sea of sub-atomic particles floating in the darkness of space.
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:33 pm
One of the reasons why living forever in this universe is unattractive. Eventually you will be just sat on a barren planet in the cold, dark nothingness of space for all eternity unable to escape. That is of course unless dark energy keeps on accelerating the rate of expansion of the universe to the point where even atoms themselves are ripped apart, The Big Rip, leaving nothing but an eternal sea of sub-atomic particles floating in the darkness of space.
yes, the play and music and dance of universe comes to standstill..

i am convinced that astetics in past spoke of destruction and new formation of universive.. feel sad how they would have felt when seeing universe come to end face to face using divine eye
Last edited by confusedlayman on Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I'm just hoping that in a hundred trillion years I will be able to dispense with a face mask and go to the monastery again. But my government is not giving me much cause for hope...
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:11 pm I'm just hoping that in a hundred trillion years I will be able to dispense with a face mask and go to the monastery again. But my government is not giving me much cause for hope...
:rofl:

It is frustrating. I did want to go on retreat this year.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:18 pm It is frustrating. I did want to go on retreat this year.
Sam Vara wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:11 pm I'm just hoping that in a hundred trillion years I will be able to dispense with a face mask and go to the monastery again. But my government is not giving me much cause for hope...
I was trapped in a monastery for six months because of Covid. I only intended to go for 2 months but then the pandemic hit, and it was real difficult to cross the borders to fly back to my own country.
There are much worse places to be trapped eh!
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Last edited by DooDoot on Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:21 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:18 pm It is frustrating. I did want to go on retreat this year.
I was trapped in a monastery for six months because of Covid. I only intended to go for 2 months but then the pandemic hit, and it was real difficult to cross the borders to fly back to my own country.
Good timing, James...

Luckily we can still run retreats here...

:heart:
Mike
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:21 pm
That actually sounds like a bonus to me.
[james]

Post by [james] »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:33 pm One of the reasons why living forever in this universe is unattractive. Eventually you will be just sat on a barren planet in the cold, dark nothingness of space for all eternity unable to escape.
The escape being ... nibbana without remainder?
Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:33 pm That is of course unless dark energy keeps on accelerating the rate of expansion of the universe to the point where even atoms themselves are ripped apart, The Big Rip, leaving nothing but an eternal sea of sub-atomic particles floating in the darkness of space.
So has it always been, again and again.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:18 pm

Isn't locked in your home like a retreat?
:tongue:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

SarathW wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:13 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:18 pm

Isn't locked in your home like a retreat?
:tongue:
I suppose it can be lol
coconut

Post by coconut »

So I take it you don't believe the universe will contract like the suttas say?

Btw, a recent noble prize physics winner discovered that a universe existed before the big bang.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

coconut wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:12 pm
So I take it you don't believe the universe will contract like the suttas say?

Btw, a recent noble prize physics winner discovered that a universe existed before the big bang.
From a strictly scientific point of view, based on the current scientific theory this universe isn’t cyclical.
Unlikely since that isn’t part of the standard cosmological theory. We haven’t been able to see past the Big Bang yet. Our physics is incomplete and so the laws as we know them break down at the singularity. It’s called a singularity because we don’t know anything about it, like the centre of black holes. That’s of course if there even was something before the Big Bang.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

The big bang isn't necessarily "ex nihilo," so to speak. There are asymmetries in the cosmic background radiation that suggest we are expanding "into something," perhaps the remnants of the last cosmos(!). This is obviously speculative. Artifacts like the "great attractor" suggest that a) reality is not uniform, like many find intuitive, and b) the "universe" is not expanding out in all directions equally into a void, among other possibilities.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.