"Is it possible to accept Nagarjuna's argument and remain a Theravadan?"

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

"Is it possible to accept Nagarjuna's argument and remain a Theravadan?"

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Yes.

Ven. Nanananda lived & died being a Theravadan monk.

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
confusedlayman

Re: "Is it possible to accept Nagarjuna's argument and remain a Theravadan?"

Post by confusedlayman »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:58 am

Yes.

Ven. Nanananda lived & died being a Theravadan monk.

Compatible
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

confusedlayman wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:40 am ...
Compatible

A great word. :anjali:

V. Nanananda

V. Buddhādasa
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

I wouldn’t say so. What makes a Theravādin or a Sarvāstivādin or any other early Buddhist school is their Abhidhamma/Abhidharma and commentaries. If you accept Nāgārjuna then your interpretation of the Dhamma will be different to those traditions. You might try to reconcile Nāgārjuna with the suttas (I don’t think he can be, but that’s a different discussion) but reliance on the suttas alone does not make one a Theravādin.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

It’s also worth pointing out that although they shared somethings in common Ven. Nanananda also criticised Madhyamaka, although some might say he was simply misunderstanding it.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:01 am ..
You might try to reconcile Nāgārjuna with the suttas (I don’t think he can be, but that’s a different discussion)

That's interesting. Please kindly refer to where I can find that on DWT, or please make a topic, if it is handy at the moment. The topic may be something like: "Nagarjuna isn't Reconcilable with the suttas", isn't it? Atm, I don't have enough readings to make that topic.

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:22 am It’s also worth pointing out that although they shared somethings in common Ven. Nanananda also criticised Madhyamaka, although some might say he was simply misunderstanding it.

That's also a great point. Where [which book] should I search for Ven. Nanananda's criticisms on Madhyamaka? Thanks in advance. Just the name of the book would suffice for the time being.

V. Nanananda

V. Buddhādasa
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:48 am That's also a great point. Where [which book] should I search for Ven. Nanananda's criticisms on Madhyamaka? Thanks in advance. Just the name of the book would suffice for the time being.
I think he probably just means the brief quote from Questions and Answers.
https://seeingthroughthenet.net/books/
“I didn’t quote from the Mahāyāna texts in the Nibbāna
sermons,” he says, “because there was no need. All that was
needed was already found in the Suttas. Teachers like Nāgārjuna
brought to light what was already there but was hidden from
view. Unfortunately his later followers turned it in to a vāda.
Mike
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Can anyone explain in a nutshell what Nargajuna's argument is?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Spiny Norman wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:02 am Can anyone explain in a nutshell what Nargajuna's argument is?
he says u can't label or pinpoint anything due to ever changing, no essence in anything

hence all thoughts are concepts rooted in illusion.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

mikenz66 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:53 am
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:48 am That's also a great point. Where [which book] should I search for Ven. Nanananda's criticisms on Madhyamaka? Thanks in advance. Just the name of the book would suffice for the time being.
Mike
No it’s in “Concept and Reality” if I recall. I’ll check later.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Here is some of it:
We have already discussed with special reference to the term 'Suññatâ', some of the limitations of the Mâdhyamika dialectic. Their concept of the dialectical Middle Path, which even made them declare that their position is 'no-position', ultimately ran into difficulties due to lack of appreciation of the pragmatic approach. As to this latter approach, the Theravâdins had it in good measure, even to .the extent of ignoring the dialectical significance of the term 'papañca'. Hence any rapprochement between the two systems on the question of papañca will be of mutual benefit, as both will have much to learn and unlearn by comparing notes.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:25 am No it’s in “Concept and Reality” if I recall. I’ll check later.
Yes, you're right. Same link as I gave...

Mike
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

mikenz66 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:53 am
Mike

Thanks a lot, Mike. I think there maybe more than that. And, I don't think it's criticism to Ven. Nagarjuna, but to "his later followers".

V. Nanananda

V. Buddhādasa
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Though there were attempts to assert the importance of ethics, the Mâdhyamika system with its ruthless attack on concepts tended to overshoot itself in its dialectical ebullience. Thus much of the significant service rendered by that system of thought in exposing the futility of the preoccupation with concepts in 'Hînayâna' circles, was ultimately offset by its own extravagances. It was rightly affirmed by the Mâdhyamikas, that the Buddha had recommended the abandonment of all views including that of sûnyatâ.2 This affirmation, however, was belied as the system lacked those 'built-in' safeguards against perversion that are to be found in the Pali Nikâyas. According to the early Buddhist standpoint, the Middle Path consisted neither in the confrontation of every thesis with its antithesis, nor in their synthesis, nor again in their total refutation, but in a balanced understanding of the relative and pragmatic value of concepts. Dialectical consciousness, therefore, as an intellectual experience of the ultimate futility of concepts, is a necessary but not a sufficient condition for the attainment of the Goal. Nor is it a panacea for the all-pervasive dukkha. It is no doubt an essential ingredient in sammâ diññhi, which is but the first step in the Path. The ethical Middle Path lies right through conceptual formulations as steps of training, which are to be made use of with circumspection and detachment. The dialectician pledged to logical consistency might regard this position as being riddled with contradictions.
There is more. Typical to his fashion he talks at great length and detail.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

It apppears that the difference in approach between early Buddhism and the Mâdhyamika system towards the problem of concepts hinges on what might be called a subtle shift of emphasis in the interpretation of the terms 'suñña' and 'attâ'... Thus the main prong of attack is levelled at the concept of the soul as the controlling agent who is capable of experiencing happiness, which necessarily has to be permanent in order to be perfect. It is true that what gives rise to this notion is the idea of permanence or substantiality, but this latter is sufficiently rendered by the term 'nicca'. The illusion of substantiality is linked with the psychological impulse for happiness (sukha), which in its turn sustains the illusion of the ego (attà). Now, the Mâdhyamika system often seems to stress this notion of substantiality underlying the illusion of an 'âtman', thereby giving an objective twist to that word...

In coining the two expressions, 'pudgala nairâtmya' and 'dharma- nairâtmya', the Mâdhyamikas seem to have ignored the original significance of the term 'anattà’. According to the early Buddhist point of view, there can be no basis for such a distinction since the dharmas or elements, when they are regarded as being one's self or as belonging to one's self, would thereby become objects of his mind and part of his five aggregates. When it was said that one should look upon all dhammas as anattâ, it only meant that one has to regard them as not being one's own self or a part thereof. Perhaps a better way to bring out the crux of the present argument would be to pose the question whether there will be any dharma-nairâtmya left over to be realised, when one has realised the so-called pudgala-nairâtmya. It might of course be urged in mitigation that what gave rise to the above two expressions, was the very dogmatic attitude of the 'Hînayânists' in clinging to the dharmas. But this does not appear to be sufficient justification, since that dogmatic attitude of the 'Hînayânists' is merely an indication that they have not grasped the full significance of the nairâtmya doctrine. If they had, they would no longer be dogmatic with regard to the dharmas which are the objects of the sixth sense. In any case, this confusion as to the basic issues involved seems to have had its repercussions on the Mâdhyamika conception of sûnyatâ...

The upshot of the above discussion on suññatâ would be the revelation that the dialectician, if he seriously intends escaping from all views and concepts, should disown and transcend them rather than demolish them in toto. As the objects of the sixth sense, concepts are as much a fact of experience as are the objects of the other senses. Hence they will continue in the world as worldly conventions in spite of all their flaws and contradictions. The Middle Path, therefore, consists essentially in the pragmatic approach of choosing and using what is essential for the purpose, without attachment. This approach is abundantly clear in a certain criterion which the Buddha is seen declaring so often in the suttas. For the purpose of quotation, we may choose the following context which has a striking relevance to the present discussion.