I believe in Science

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
confusedlayman

Re: I believe in Science

Post by confusedlayman »

SteRo wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:40 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:16 pm physics prove madhyamaka or other way around or what is ur take on this?
You should work on your reading weakness. Often you are asking about what has been written as if that which has been written had not been written. So the answer to your question would be just to repeat what has been written but which for reasons not known has caused perplexity on your side.
On the other hand there might be a writing weakness on my side involved since english is not my mother language and there sometimes are connotations of irony involved that I miss to make explicit. But in the present case the :lol: should make implicitly explicit what I wanted to express ;)
thanks for clarifying as English is not my language too and I dont understand complex terms
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:29 am True, science can aid in our understanding, but why do people take it as THE way to understand reality in the U.K. and the west at large?
Not sure what you mean by "reality" Ceisiwr.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Mr Man wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:24 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:29 am True, science can aid in our understanding, but why do people take it as THE way to understand reality in the U.K. and the west at large?
Not sure what you mean by "reality" Ceisiwr.
Simply as in how to understand the world/existence.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:25 pm Simply as in how to understand the world/existence.
I think it is the relative stability of matter which makes the philosophy of "materialism" successful in establishing civilizations.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

There are many things one can learn from science. Just to mention the most important ones in the context of liberation:
1. Don't speculate about anything but rely on evidence only.
2. Differentiate between commonly directly knowable evidence for this or that and thought fabrications about this or that on top of what can be directly known through seeing, hearing, tasting, smelling, touching.
3. Don't publically claim things that cannot be verified by everbody independently of (religious or philosophical) beliefs.
4. If you ever accept anything then only as a hypothesis if - and only if - this hypothesis is not contradicted by logical reasoning based on evidence.
5. Even a logically supported hypothesis needs to be supported by experiments - otherwise it isn't valid and has to be discarded.
6. If a hypothesis turns out to be valid because it is supported by both, logical reasoning based on evidence and experiments based on evidence, it still does not become a description of reality but still remains a theory. That means that a theory is a valid tool to affect what can be directly experienced but whether the theory corresponds with reality cannot be known. Also the theory will necessarily change and be refined in the course of time due to increase of knowledge - so never rely on the ultimate validity of a given theory.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

Beautiful word 'meaning'. What's on the other side of meaning? - Mind.
Meaning can be sought without, but true meaning is found within.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

So actually the whole metaphysical stuff like rebirth, kamma, nibbana etc. doesn't need to be adopted when following scientific guidelines and one arrives at pure "secular buddhist" approach:
1. does one have mental issues one wants to get rid of?
2. are there appropriate methods in the tool box "buddhism"?
3. is there experiential evidence for the efficiency of this or that method?

I mean why should one buy the whole speculative metaphysical package if one only wants to get rid of this or that mental issue? One knows one's mental issue and therefore one can know its absence and thus the efficiency of a method can be assessed by oneself.

So this is a purely evidence-based pragmatic approach guided by scientific principles. However it nevertheless cannot be "science" because the evidences aren't commonly observable through seeing, hearing, tasting, smelling, touching by everybody and they cannot be measured and documented by use of technical equipment. So evidence here is an exclusively private experience: the issue is present or it is absent, the frequency of its occurence is reduced when applying this method or it increases or stays the same when applying that method or no method at all.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

science is trying to find fact within overall illusion

buddhism is escaping illusion
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...