"Is consciousness me? " ... 40 Days @ Pa Auk / Experiences of a Goenkaji's student

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
user99

Re: "Is consciousness me? " ... 40 Days @ Pa Auk / Experiences of a Goenkaji's student

Post by user99 »

I agree with you conciousness its not your self Only a part of you
justindesilva

Re: "Is consciousness me? " ... 40 Days @ Pa Auk / Experiences of a Goenkaji's student

Post by justindesilva »

user99 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:09 pm
justindesilva wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:25 pm
user99 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:48 pm Yes the concoussness is you.
Anattalakkhana Sutta too states that consciousness is not self. How can one then say it is you or yourself.
Is there an explanation?
The explanation is within that Sutta, if it is properly understood.
This Sutta was made by Lord budda as a further explanation to Dammacakkapavattana Sutta.
user99

Post by user99 »

Do we have a total independent choice of what we choose to do or is it depedent on what karma we have?
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Does this "consciousness" have a form, shape, personality, memories or are these mere arisings within "consciousness"?
The thought "Is consciousness me?" is just an arising thought.
It isn't "you".
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

user99 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:28 pm Do we have a total independent choice of what we choose to do or is it depedent on what karma we have?
Consciousness is dependant on karma.
sunnat

choice

Post by sunnat »

good question about choice.

as buddha taught: the training is to change the habit of reacting to feelings, (or the results of past deliberate actions [ kamma ]), to simply noting that the kamma resultant are there.

It doesn't matter if they are pleasant or unpleasant or neutral, just be aware of them. This is the training. Practising means to train.

In time the habit becomes to not react and as a result the old kamma resultant pass away as fast as they arise..

To experience this needs practice. The practice is called meditation.

for example, Focus the mind with anapanasati and then use that focused mind to see into the phenomenon called 'me', ( this is the vipassana part..)

keep it simp[e.the answers will naturally come to you
user99

Post by user99 »

Nobody can escape karma from a bad action and you Always every second make the right decision. I cant stand it much longer i feel horribel bad. In the future i Will have my head cutted of in a carsxcident i believe or bee cutted up.
user99

Post by user99 »

Now i feel very Good.
Everyone can escape karma. Karma automatically do your behavior and karma and life better. :anjali:
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

O, k, very good. Be happy.

Now you can know from your own experience that there is change. Buddha called this anicca. Very important realisation. Nothing is permanently in one way. Bad changes and there is good.

Also you can know from your own experience that the bad is not you. There is a lot that is not you. Your feelings are not you. Buddha called this not-self, anatta.

You can see them changing and you don't have to hang on to them, or suffer them. If you cling to things that are constantly changing you end up suffering or as Buddha called it dukkha.

His message was very simple.

Don't do bad things.
Do good things.
Purify the mind. (When you just watch things change and don't hang on to them your mind gets purified or cleaned out. Of course you have to put up with old 'dirt' rising up and passing away, but in time there is peace.)