I broke a precept today...

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Dreamy

I broke a precept today...

Post by Dreamy »

I lied to my teacher that I was writing what she was saying down, now I feel bad for lying, I wish to do better. She was helping me at the time, I wish to repay her kindness. What can I do to make amends?
salayatananirodha

Re: I broke a precept today...

Post by salayatananirodha »

tell her the truth
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Dreamy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:33 pm What can I do to make amends?
Just make a determination you won't do it again. Simple.
Making amends is a Christian concept, which you don't need to do.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Dreamy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:33 pm I lied to my teacher that I was writing what she was saying down, now I feel bad for lying, I wish to do better. She was helping me at the time, I wish to repay her kindness. What can I do to make amends?
As well as James's advice, make amends to yourself by not dwelling on this, accepting that it was just a conditioned human response, and letting that particular incident go.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

you can do that, but you more cleanly break the cycle of lying by correcting it
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.17.than.html wrote:Conquer anger
with lack of anger;
bad, with good;
stinginess, with a gift;
a liar, with truth.
Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 1.35.48 PM.png
regardless, the fruit (result) of the kamma (intentional action) of lying is set to ripen (come into being or be experienced), at some time or another. by directly countering it with truth, you can make the kamma ripen sooner and it be less severe*. you deceived someone, find time to tell them, if you can. be no deceiver of the world.
yes, it's a conditioned human response, but it is still intentional, so you can gradually make it where you no longer unwittingly do this.

*on this, see the simile of the salt crystal https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
and about angulimala the murderer https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Last edited by salayatananirodha on Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
TamHanhHi

Post by TamHanhHi »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:35 pm
Just make a determination you won't do it again. Simple.
Making amends is a Christian concept, which you don't need to do.
I'll disagree here with James. Making amends (or remedying or repairing) is a way of re-establishing the trust you've broken with another person and demonstrates that you actually want to change. (For example, for monastics, making amends is often part of the confession process for a number of rules—though what this looks like varies from rule to rule.) Determining you won't do it again is insufficient, especially since it seems like this a person you have a sort of relationship with. The case you mention seems minor, but there's value in following the same process you would for a bigger mistake.

1. Acknowledge your mistake to yourself. [Check]
2. Apologize. (Make sure it includes the words "I'm sorry" or "I apologize")
3. Make amends/remedy/repair (What this looks like will vary. It can simply mean you tell the person that you'll work harder to tell the truth)
4. Determine not to repeat the mistake.
"Just as a large banyan tree, on level ground where four roads meet, is a haven for the birds all around, even so a lay person of conviction is a haven for many people: monks, nuns, male lay followers, & female lay followers."AN 5.38
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

just dont make it again by being careful of what u gonna say ...

I also break precept sometimes but I try to restrain in future... as long as u acknowledge it u are already making amends ...

if u want say to her or not but say to urself that this should not be done...

the karma for lying is already u experiencing the guilt and shame ... it is ripening in u already so only way to escape is not do it again and guilt feeling will go once u speak truth for 1 week or more as this one small lie become insignificant... ur mind will think how much truth u maintained rather than cherrypicking this small lie and make u feel guilty for entire life...
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

The slightest of all the results coming from telling falsehoods is that … it leads to being falsely accused.

Vipaka Sutta
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.