The senses are hell (animation video)

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
coconut

The senses are hell (animation video)

Post by coconut »

Alino

Re: The senses are hell (animation video)

Post by Alino »

We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Many thanks! I liked that a lot. 👍
coconut

Post by coconut »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:03 pm Many thanks! I liked that a lot. 👍
Here's an animation on anger:

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Also excellent. I don't normally watch things like this, but I'm obviously missing out!
chownah

Post by chownah »

I think there is a similarity in the three videos. Are they helpful? How are the helpful (or not)? What concepts in the suttas are expressed in the videos? What does bringing them here meant to accomplish?

I guess what I am saying is that just bringing them here without discussion seems sort of empty and perhps an opportunity lost.

Certainly the themes presented have been presented countless times already in previous literature, films, news articles, and in direct experience of a person's life......is the presentation here meant to be different in some way from these other presentations?

I'm not wanting to create any sorts of doubt here but just to bring about some discussion and some relevance to the suttas.....discussion about the content of the videos AND discussion about the stylistic elements and presentations etc.
chownah
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Are those living conditions in the first video actually indicative of real life? Cause if they are ... wow. I thought living in a dorm at Uni was tight and dirty. This blows that away.

And also - very imaginative metaphors in there. Thanks for sharing.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
coconut

Post by coconut »

chownah wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:52 am I think there is a similarity in the three videos. Are they helpful? How are the helpful (or not)? What concepts in the suttas are expressed in the videos? What does bringing them here meant to accomplish?

I guess what I am saying is that just bringing them here without discussion seems sort of empty and perhps an opportunity lost.

Certainly the themes presented have been presented countless times already in previous literature, films, news articles, and in direct experience of a person's life......is the presentation here meant to be different in some way from these other presentations?

I'm not wanting to create any sorts of doubt here but just to bring about some discussion and some relevance to the suttas.....discussion about the content of the videos AND discussion about the stylistic elements and presentations etc.
chownah
Well the 1st one shows how the senses are suffering, and the dire need to escape the senses. The third one shows the heedlesness, drunken state, loss of reality and coherence and danger that comes from anger, and the regret that arises after one has returned to coherence, thus it shows karma. It also shows how the mind can fabricate fantasies and identities like a hero or villain.
Last edited by coconut on Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:56 pm Also excellent. I don't normally watch things like this, but I'm obviously missing out!
Another favourite, see if you can figure out the meaning

The meaning it has for me: is that sometimes you can't free your loved ones from samsara, they will not accept the dhamma, even if they don't understand that it will bring them to their own ruin and you are saved. They think they know what's good for them and therefore good for you (the crown), but the crown will not save them. Your journey is your own at the end of the day, and you are ultimately alone...

or the original interpretation: that the kingdom fell because the prince ran away from his duties for his own selfish desires because he wanted to live his own life rather than the expectations placed on him, as expectations are pressure and suffering.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

coconut wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:58 pm
The meaning it has for me: is that sometimes you can't free your loved ones from samsara, they will not accept the dhamma, even if they don't understand that it will bring them to their own ruin and you are saved. They think they know what's good for them and therefore good for you (the crown), but the crown will not save them. Your journey is your own at the end of the day, and you are ultimately alone...

or the original interpretation: that the kingdom fell because the prince ran away from his duties for his own selfish desires because he wanted to live his own life rather than the expectations placed on him, as expectations are pressure and suffering.
It could be the other way round. If you go your own way rather than accept the crown offered to you by the Noble Ones, then there is a lot of solitary pointless wandering instead of a noble existence.

Either way, thanks again. :anjali:
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Pondera wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:26 am Are those living conditions in the first video actually indicative of real life? Cause if they are ... wow. I thought living in a dorm at Uni was tight and dirty. This blows that away.

I think in Hong Kong you can find living conditions like that, yeah.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:25 pm
Pondera wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:26 am Are those living conditions in the first video actually indicative of real life? Cause if they are ... wow. I thought living in a dorm at Uni was tight and dirty. This blows that away.

I think in Hong Kong you can find living conditions like that, yeah.
Wow. I’m not one to pass cultural criticisms - but that’s insane.

Gotta do what’s necessary I guess. I live in the suburbs. I’ve seen the kind of 500 square foot apartments downtown in the city.

This is like 300 square feet though. Insane :rolleye:
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
chownah

Post by chownah »

The first video is called Coffin....here is what it is referring to:

https://www.google.com/search?q=coffin+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
chownah
coconut

Post by coconut »

chownah wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:16 am The first video is called Coffin....here is what it is referring to:

https://www.google.com/search?q=coffin+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
chownah
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/763c5f6c ... b5da704620

ahh nothing like shitting where you eat
chownah

Post by chownah »

Is eating where you shit hell?
chownah