Requesting Sri Lanka Ordination information

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
may.all.bliss

Requesting Sri Lanka Ordination information

Post by may.all.bliss »

Hi.
I lived like a monk past year, and find it suitable for me. I've been practicing for 7 years or so.
Like a monk meaning isolated, practicing and studying.

-story about self
The only thing I think I'll find hard sometimes is to give up sensuality (relationship), but I don't like the idea of western work, western society, many relationships, internet relationships, tv relationship, politics, non-meditating neighbours or roommates, too much for me.
And I believe attainment that I have not yet realized is possible given what I've seen and heard from the teachers,
And all beings are given dreams of other life also, it's not a total disconnect.
I have been a city dweller all my life, in a small good city in Europe, it has it's pro's and con's, it's hectic but can also be beautiful.
One thing I enjoyed is to be in the park during a good state, and enjoy seeing the happiness with the children and people.

I like the idea of Sri Lanka ordination for the independence, I've sat with teachers, wonderful, but can be good on my own and don't like the idea of lineage too much, not that I couldn't appreciate it, but it fits my temperament, and I had a vision of sri lanka when I was meditating as a teenager.

Questions,
-What monasteries are recommendable for a westerner?
what monasteries are known to be able to help with the visa?
(preferably lush like environment, not desert like)

-After pre-ordination period, sometimes monks may wander around?
I vaguely remember Monks are allowed to stay at a lay's person house for maximum of 1 or 3 days?

-Why exactly is it ideal to come with an entry visa, what is the difference?
'It is ideal to come with an entry visa. If you come with a tourist visa you will have to go to a nearby country like India, do some paperwork for a few days and come back. Being exempted from this is probably even harder now than before.'
viewtopic.php?t=36330

-Do monks swim?
I remember in some rules, splashing around was considered a 'no'.
How would they swim with the robes and all?

Peace
SarathW

Re: Requesting Sri Lanka Ordination information

Post by SarathW »

The only thing I think I'll find hard sometimes is to give up sensuality (relationship), but I don't like the idea of western work, western society, many relationships, internet relationships, tv relationship, politics, non-meditating neighbours or roommates, too much for me.
Don't become a monk (at least in Sri Lanka) . You will be disappointed about the monks life.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
BKh

Post by BKh »

Don't listen to people who tell you not to ordain in Sri Lanka.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

BKh wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:12 am Don't listen to people who tell you not to ordain in Sri Lanka.
Agree but make sure you have the right place and the teacher.
Bhikkhu Bodhi was ordained in Sri Lanka.
But there are lot of rogue monks in Sri Lanka.
bhante dhamma

Post by bhante dhamma »

If you do ordain there try to stay in the Galduwa tradition. If you do you'll find there's good places in SriLanka (arañña vāsī) style, if you go the independent route (no lineage) it's easy to get caught in worldy winds, so maybe try visiting a few different places and see how it goes before making a decision. Big monasteries tend to have a lot of politics, there is a small? Pariyatti place associated with the Galduwa tradition that teaches Pali nowdays also. Try go to the BPS website and download the pdf by Bhte Ñāna tusita it has a list, sorry I don't have a link.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

ordain in hillside hermitage
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think it is better to make some arrangements before you go.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:09 am ordain in hillside hermitage
Sadly they are full.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:50 am
Sadly they are full.
How many people are there
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:14 am
Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:50 am
Sadly they are full.
How many people are there
No idea. Not many, but their website says they are at full capacity.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
may.all.bliss

Post by may.all.bliss »

Well Sri Lanka does looks very special, it's very buddhist and down to earth, well ordered yet embedded in nature and relaxed.
A bit like India but way less hectic and chaotic.

I've heard vaguely of some of the (minor) scandals seen in other threads from some abbots, unfortunately, yeah politics and corruption can happen.. though Sri Lanka has many monestaries.
Still sad, that's also why the wandering around seems like a potential good option at some point.
Monks do this sometimes no? I'd like to hear on this.

I've seen there are a lot of Mahamevnawa monestaries, big organization, seems like an easy way to ordain.
They use red/orange robes, is this the color that's used most in Sri Lanka? I feel most attracted to brown robes, but this may be a bit silly, not sure.

Big organizations scare me a little, not so much because of the politics per se, but because of the hype that may surround it, that wouldn't be a bad thing per se, but if monastery's grow large, I think it can be hard on the lay people I think.. Would be unfortunate if they suffered from that, but perhaps this is an unbased worry.
-
So yeah: Question; do Monks in Sri Lanka (or other countries) wander around sometimes? And sleep for maximum 1 to 3 (?) nights at a lay person's house? Something like this I heard I think. Or sleep outside perhaps.
-
Thanks Bhante Dhamma, do you have personal experience with the Galduwa tradition, why does it seem superior?
may.all.bliss

Post by may.all.bliss »

Also can monks travel to other countries (and relatively easily) obtain a visa in another country?
Are let's say, Sri Lanka or Thailand welcome to each other's monks? =)
Suranga

Post by Suranga »

may.all.bliss wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:00 pm Also can monks travel to other countries (and relatively easily) obtain a visa in another country?
Are let's say, Sri Lanka or Thailand welcome to each other's monks? =)
You seems to have lot of questions. My opinion is that you need to plan your monk life . like what you doing in the first 2 years as samanera? where you plan to stay? which is the best place that will give you a best initial training. then what you doing after you become a upasampadha bhikkhu ? where you staying and get the necesary training.
As some of the people said my own advice is also to go to galduwa tradition.Even with in that tradition only very handfull places with in that sect trying to keep good vinaya. (like Na Uyana). And don't think galduwa is the only place good. there are many good places there but to my own experience Na Uyana is the best place for you to get the best training in the first 5 years of period. And on the plus side it is very organised and has a very good conections to other places as well. That place is soo huge and if you like bit isolation there is very remote areas of the monestry that you can stay and practice. So its a complete packege I think. Even within Na Uyana you might come across some monks who are not serious (even the senior monks). Just keep a blind eye and do your thing. even in the budhdhas time there were many types of monks. So why Na Uyana different?

Having said that there are rumours going on the internet . I do not know if its correct or not. If for any case they are correct then It is very sad and heart breaking. However as per my experience I believe it seems bit exagerated. there might(only might) have some thing happened(I don't know ). But it spreaded over the internet like the moral story "Rabbit and the Falling sky". And TBH I was also bit frustrated after hearing the scandles. The Head monk and the meditation master in the Upper monestary is very good and kind. So it seems bit hard to believe the scandles.

Furthermore. Na Uyana follows PA AUK meditation method and if you like to follow it then its a good place to learn it in sri lanka. However I got to know that they tweeked the real PA AUK method to suit them. How much they tweeked it will be yours to find out. I have my own critisms about the PA Auk method but its just me. nothing to do about the monestary. It suits some people but some doesn't. So if you forced your self to follow it then you might become frustrated with the monk life.

But all in all I went arround the courntry in last decade or so to find places and NA Uyana seems to be the best place that I can recomend to get your initial training. That doesn't mean there are no better plces than Na Uyana. Na Uyana is overall good thats all.After the first couple of years training there are plenty of places for you to practice.like Tenjan Thanna.
BKh

Post by BKh »

may.all.bliss wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:51 pm I've seen there are a lot of Mahamevnawa monestaries, big organization, seems like an easy way to ordain.
Time in training there to take high ordination is much longer than most other places. Also, if you have the desire to wander around, that is not the organization for you.

Regarding staying in lay people's houses, when there is a monastery on ever street corner, it would be really odd to stay in a lay person's house.

As I understand it, there is much less of a wandering around culture in Sri Lanka compared to Thailand. In Sri Lanka you can't get a visa as a foreigner unless you are sponsored by a monastery. And since that sponsorship implies some responsibility for you, it may be difficult to find a place that would do that. Not impossible, but difficult. Especially if you started off the conversation asking if they would let you wander around.

If you left the monastery that sponsored you without reaching an agreement, they would be obligated to report you to immigration lest they endanger their future sponsorships.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
may.all.bliss

Post by may.all.bliss »

Very interesting responses thank you.
Suranga wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:54 am You seems to have lot of questions. My opinion is that you need to plan your monk life . like what you doing in the first 2 years as samanera? where you plan to stay? which is the best place that will give you a best initial training. then what you doing after you become a upasampadha bhikkhu ? where you staying and get the necesary training.
I spend the last 7 years studying high quality sources and practicing almost full time (not formal sitting all the time but sadhanna), sitting with a multitude of teachers. A good inspirational human display is simply wonderful.
And to find a good suitable place, obviously it's important the place has well behaved members.

Yet Buddha said 'in the end one has to let go of all the teachings, the good teaching and so how much more so the bad teaching.', and ultimately the teacher is also to be let go off.

But I know the gist of the Buddha's teaching, I experience the results, all I desire is to continue the practice in a suitable place.

I would like to be able to be independently allowed to travel, across monasteries or perhaps 'going with the wind' at the some point.

I heard normally, it's 1 year training, then higher ordination? Then expected to be with a teacher for 5 years.

I don't really like the idea too much necessarily, of 5 years, but if it's a good place that might be appropriate, and obviously if the relationship with the teacher is good, it may all be in good spirit, because I heard the 5 year period is more of an informal gesture also, not necessarily a strict one.
BKh wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:22 am Time in training there to take high ordination is much longer than most other places. Also, if you have the desire to wander around, that is not the organization for you.

Regarding staying in lay people's houses, when there is a monastery on ever street corner, it would be really odd to stay in a lay person's house.

As I understand it, there is much less of a wandering around culture in Sri Lanka compared to Thailand.
Staying in lay people's houses did sound a bit.. off, I agree.
but so it's common for the relatively few wandering monks to stay in temples then? This actually happens?

Thailand has more of this culture? It seemed to me Thailand has pretty well organized organizations, and dense jungles, that this may not be such a norm? Do thai monks wander in cities and rest in temples also?

If Thai ordination is easier, how does that work when a monk may travel to other countries and acquire another visa there, that may be a bit unusual I suppose. But Sri Lanka looks very good, and so does Thailand.

-Thanks for the responses. Enjoying this.