Can we attain Nibbana by just listening to two Sutta?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

One of the monks said that we have listened to a minimum of two Sutta namely Dhamma Chaaka Pavattana Sutta and Anatta Lakhana Sutta to attain Nibbana.
Why can't we do it now?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Re: Can we attain Nibbana by just listening to two Sutta?

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:38 am Why can't we do it now?
Some can do it; some cannot do it.

In case you are not aware, Buddhism has Three Refuge, including in the Noble Sangha.

Refuge in the Noble Sangha is not the practise of believing the Noble Sangha is the same as one's puthujjana self. :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

form

Post by form »

No. U cannot. Because the Buddha is not alive to help u face to face
bodom

Post by bodom »

form wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:37 pm No. U cannot. Because the Buddha is not alive to help u face to face
Even when the Buddha was alive people did not need to be "face to face" with Him to attain enlightenment:
This was said by the Lord…

“Bhikkhus, even though a bhikkhu might hold on to the hem of my robe and follow close behind me step by step, if he is covetous for objects of desire, strongly passionate, malevolent, corrupt in thought, unmindful, uncomprehending, unconcentrated, of wandering mind and uncontrolled faculties, he is far from me and I am far from him. What is the reason? That bhikkhu does not see Dhamma. Not seeing Dhamma, he does not see me.

“Bhikkhus, even though a bhikkhu might live a hundred leagues away, if he is not covetous for objects of desire, not strongly passionate, not malevolent, uncorrupt in thought, with mindfulness established, clearly comprehending, concentrated, of unified mind and controlled faculties, he is close to me and I am close to him. What is the reason? That bhikkhu sees Dhamma. Seeing Dhamma, he sees me.”

Though closely following behind,
Full of longings and resentment,
See how far away he is—
The desirous one from the desireless,
One unquenched from the quenched,
A greedy one from the one without greed.

But a wise person who by direct knowledge
Has fully understood the Dhamma,
Becomes desireless and tranquil
Like a calm unruffled lake.

See how close he is to him—
A desireless one to the desireless,
One quenched to the quenched,
The greedless one to the one without greed.
https://suttacentral.net/iti92/en/ireland

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Alino

Post by Alino »

May be even 3 words I suppose : anicca, dukkha, anatta...
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
plabit

Post by plabit »

SarathW wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:38 am Can we attain Nibbana by just listening to two Sutta?
One of the monks said that we have listened to a minimum of two Sutta namely Dhamma Chaaka Pavattana Sutta and Anatta Lakhana Sutta to attain Nibbana.
Why can't we do it now?
people in the canon who attain arhantship while listening to a sermon had already been monks (in earlier systems) for years before hearing that sermon
form

Post by form »

bodom wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:49 pm
form wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:37 pm No. U cannot. Because the Buddha is not alive to help u face to face
Even when the Buddha was alive people did not need to be "face to face" with Him to attain enlightenment:
This was said by the Lord…

“Bhikkhus, even though a bhikkhu might hold on to the hem of my robe and follow close behind me step by step, if he is covetous for objects of desire, strongly passionate, malevolent, corrupt in thought, unmindful, uncomprehending, unconcentrated, of wandering mind and uncontrolled faculties, he is far from me and I am far from him. What is the reason? That bhikkhu does not see Dhamma. Not seeing Dhamma, he does not see me.

“Bhikkhus, even though a bhikkhu might live a hundred leagues away, if he is not covetous for objects of desire, not strongly passionate, not malevolent, uncorrupt in thought, with mindfulness established, clearly comprehending, concentrated, of unified mind and controlled faculties, he is close to me and I am close to him. What is the reason? That bhikkhu sees Dhamma. Seeing Dhamma, he sees me.”

Though closely following behind,
Full of longings and resentment,
See how far away he is—
The desirous one from the desireless,
One unquenched from the quenched,
A greedy one from the one without greed.

But a wise person who by direct knowledge
Has fully understood the Dhamma,
Becomes desireless and tranquil
Like a calm unruffled lake.

See how close he is to him—
A desireless one to the desireless,
One quenched to the quenched,
The greedless one to the one without greed.
https://suttacentral.net/iti92/en/ireland

:anjali:
It is a lot harder now. Maybe those that can just listen to him and .... After that 500 became enlightened have all garduated. :mrgreen:
form

Post by form »

Early time easy. Nowadays, very hard.