I think negative alot.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
JC938

I think negative alot.

Post by JC938 »

Hi,

I think negative alot, when I walk outside, I see people, my mind just think negative, when I see Buddha statues, I think negative, I see monks, I think negative, I see anything, anyone, I think negative, I think negative with my parents and siblings aswell, what should I do?

Thanks.
retrofuturist

Re: I think negative alot.

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Right Effort.

Specifically, learn more about the roots (mula) of good and evil.

The Roots Of Good And Evil.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
JC938

Post by JC938 »

retrofuturist wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:33 am Greetings,

Right Effort.

Specifically, learn more about the roots (mula) of good and evil.

The Roots Of Good And Evil.

Metta,
Thank you. :namaste:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

JC938 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:29 am Hi,

I think negative alot, when I walk outside, I see people, my mind just think negative, when I see Buddha statues, I think negative, I see monks, I think negative, I see anything, anyone, I think negative, I think negative with my parents and siblings aswell, what should I do?

Thanks.
It appears you are mindful and know these thoughts are unwholesome.
Just contemplate on Anicca, Dukkha, and Anatta in negative thoughts.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

There are effective therapies to help change our thinking patterns, like CBT.

I would firstly not worry about it. Just don't pay much attention to the thoughts. Let them just float in and out of awareness, like clouds.
_/|\_
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Dan74,

How do you reconcile such an approach with Right Effort, as taught by The Buddha?
SN 45.8 wrote:"And what, monks, is right effort?

"There is the case where a monk generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds & exerts his intent for the sake of the non-arising of evil, unskillful qualities that have not yet arisen.

"He generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds & exerts his intent for the sake of the abandonment of evil, unskillful qualities that have arisen.

"He generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds & exerts his intent for the sake of the arising of skillful qualities that have not yet arisen.

"He generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds & exerts his intent for the maintenance, non-confusion, increase, plenitude, development, & culmination of skillful qualities that have arisen: This, monks, is called right effort."
AN 2.19 wrote:"Abandon what is unskillful, monks. It is possible to abandon what is unskillful. If it were not possible to abandon what is unskillful, I would not say to you, 'Abandon what is unskillful.' But because it is possible to abandon what is unskillful, I say to you, 'Abandon what is unskillful.' If this abandoning of what is unskillful were conducive to harm and pain, I would not say to you, 'Abandon what is unskillful.' But because this abandoning of what is unskillful is conducive to benefit and pleasure, I say to you, 'Abandon what is unskillful.'

"Develop what is skillful, monks. It is possible to develop what is skillful. If it were not possible to develop what is skillful, I would not say to you, 'Develop what is skillful.' But because it is possible to develop what is skillful, I say to you, 'Develop what is skillful.' If this development of what is skillful were conducive to harm and pain, I would not say to you, 'Develop what is skillful.' But because this development of what is skillful is conducive to benefit and pleasure, I say to you, 'Develop what is skillful.'"
The Buddha's instruction appears far less passive than what you're promoting.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

JC938 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:29 am what should I do?
Saṃsāra is a negative place

perhaps you are merely aware of this
Last edited by cappuccino on Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

what should you do?

focus on impermanence
befriend

Post by befriend »

I know of an Ajahn who said positive thinking or positive affirmations help get rid of negative thinking this has been my experience with positive affirmations there might be something deeper going on if all your thoughts are negative this will lead to a horrible mood you may want to speak with a psychotherapist. :hug:
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
befriend

Post by befriend »

The brahma viharas are good for quelling aversive thoughts and give a sense of non sensual pleasure so you won't be in as much pain.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

OP, you've shared with us that you have been diagnosed with schizophrenia. This means in some ways you can't trust what your mind tells you, and it will do unusual things. Of course, all of us have that problem, but in a different way. To counter act the negativity, think about the positive things in the world and focus on being generous. Don't worry about meditating.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi JC938,

There are a number of ways of dealing with distracting or negative thoughts, as we've seen from the various suggestions. This sutta summarises several:

MN20 How to stop thinking/The Removal of Distracting Thoughts.

The approaches suggested by the Buddha include not paying attention to them, paying attention to something else, and examining their drawbacks. What works depends on the circumstances.

:heart:
Mike
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

JC938 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:29 am Hi,

Thanks.
Just stop thinking when there is no necessity. Seeing people is not a necessity for thinking. Seeing Buddha statues is not a necessity for thinking. Seeing monks is not a necessity for thinking.
What is a necessity for thinking? Problem solving in job. Selecting one of different alternatives in private life.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

Hi JC938:

In order to progress you need structure.
You get this from following a teacher and sticking to only one training.

Besides that, the core training of buddhism is dana (giving or generosity). Keep it simple, you can improve a lot just giving, no need for mantras and meditation yet.

Give what you have and notice if you still have negative thoughts at that time. The condition for giving is having, so if you have food give food, if you have wisdom give wisdom. But if you dont have money dont try to give money. If dont have a positive mind dont force yourself to give positiveness.

Regards.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

2600htz wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:40 pm Hi JC938:

In order to progress you need structure.
You get this from following a teacher and sticking to only one training.

Besides that, the core training of buddhism is dana (giving or generosity). Keep it simple, you can improve a lot just giving, no need for mantras and meditation yet.

Give what you have and notice if you still have negative thoughts at that time. The condition for giving is having, so if you have food give food, if you have wisdom give wisdom. But if you dont have money dont try to give money. If dont have a positive mind dont force yourself to give positiveness.

Regards.
In this situation what is required is to find a psychotherapist ( in psychologically )before training in buddhist studies.
With metta.