If You Meet Jesus on The Road...

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
BubbaBuddhist

Re: If You Meet Jesus on The Road...

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Wonder if I posted a picture of me nekkid, painted blue and dancing an impassioned fandango with Carmen Miranda, what that would lead to...?

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Bubbabuddhist wrote:Wonder if I posted a picture of me nekkid, painted blue and dancing an impassioned fandango with Carmen Miranda, what that would lead to...?
Giggling.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

cooran wrote:Why not reach out with metta on an individual level ... better than widening the gap?
A good suggestion, and something I regularly and frequently try to do :). Recently, I received a lifetime ban from a Christian chatroom. Obviously I followed all the rules of this chatroom to the letter. When I sent an email asking why I was banned, I was told it was not up for discussion. I'd not engaged in any topic relating to religion or theology, nothing strayed beyond 'what's the weather like' or similar small talk. I am known as a Buddhist in this room and have many friends there. The only thing we can think of is that the room was recently bought by a large American for-profit christian company and that perhaps they were systematically removing all non-Christian elements. These sort of things aren't worth pondering, but clearly I'm not welcome there. No, not all Christians want inter-religious communication.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

sorry, just noticed the thread had moved past that. Ignore me :) onwards with the naked blue dancing :)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mawkish1983 wrote:sorry, just noticed the thread had moved past that. Ignore me :) onwards with the naked blue dancing :)
Oh, please don't.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

tiltbillings wrote:
Dukkhanirodha wrote:
tiltbillings wrote: DN said:
Christian beliefs have their wrong side, but they are still better than having no moral landmarks at all. This is what I am witnessing here every day.

Who needs to have a religion to be moral?
Well, some people do. In areas where wisdom is scarce, people who adhere to moral precepts, even if it is out of blind faith, get a significantly better life.
But you still do not need religion for that.
OK we are not using the same meaning for the words.

I totally agree with you on the theoretical level. But I was talking on the actual daily common real level. In such areas, people have no access to their inner truth, so they have only access to wisdom coming from outside (i.e. social organizations). And christianity (or whatever) may be the only option, as it is the case here in top northern Brazil. Still, that option is better than the other one they have: a painful attempt to hedonism.

We have to be careful not to resort to scornful words or thoughts. Because they are a sign of intolerance. And when we begin to be intolerant, we are making exactly the kind of mistake we were reproaching others.

_/\_
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Dukkhanirodha wrote: OK we are not using the same meaning for the words.
I understand your point, but we are probably just looking at things a bit differently. No big deal.

BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Nekkid blue dancing at my place midnite tonight. All picts welcome. Bring your own blue mud. Spirit of Carmen Miranda summoned at 12:15 promptly. Not responsible for bail-bond monies.

J
Journey

Post by Journey »

:rofl: Thanks for the laughs, bubbabuddhist!

:spy:

"This, O Atula, is an old saying; it is not one of today only:
they blame those who sit silent, they blame those who speak too much. Those speaking little too they blame. There never was, there never will be, nor does there exist now, a person who is wholly blamed or wholly praised"
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

:anjali:

J