Dalilama is not allowed to come to Sri Lanka!

A forum for Dhamma resources in languages other than English
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I was just surprised to learn that Dalilama is not allowed in Sri Lanka due to China's influence.
It is not hard to believe that Sri Lankan politicians do not have a spine.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ontheway

Re: Dalilama is not allowed to come to Sri Lanka!

Post by Ontheway »

SarathW wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:43 am Dalilama is not allowed to come to Sri Lanka!

I was just surprised to learn that Dalilama is not allowed in Sri Lanka due to China's influence.
It is not hard to believe that Sri Lankan politicians do not have a spine.

Dalai Lama? Hmmm, a mixed feeling here. I can't say Dalai Lama is without political aims.

Btw, it seems this semi-blind speaker loves to bash Visuddhimagga and Vibhajjavada with emotional speech. :rolleye:

Now Sri Lanka is getting worse with all these Adhamma influencers ...
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Btw, it seems this semi-blind speaker loves to bash Visuddhimagga and Vibhajjavada with emotional speech. :rolleye:
I thought he is fully blind?
Yes, he got a good argument to bash Visuddhimagga.
One argument is Buddhagosha wrote the Visuddhimagga before he study Sri Lankan commentaries. :shrug:
Another point is Buddhagosha admitted he did not understand Dependent Origination hence he is not an Arahant. :shrug:
He also finds many other anomalies with Sutta. However, he admits that Visuddhimagga is useful for people who expect to develop Jhana but not for people who need to attain Nibbana.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

SarathW wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:00 pm
I thought he is fully blind?
Yes, he got a good argument to bash Visuddhimagga.
One argument is Buddhagosha wrote the Visuddhimagga before he study Sri Lankan commentaries. :shrug:
Another point is Buddhagosha admitted he did not understand Dependent Origination hence he is not an Arahant. :shrug:
He also finds many other anomalies with Sutta. However, he admits that Visuddhimagga is useful for people who expect to develop Jhana but not for people who need to attain Nibbana.
Oh he's fully blind? By birth or how?

Kinda amusing when he said those things as evidence why Visuddhimagga is wrong. :jumping:

1) One argument is Buddhagosha wrote the Visuddhimagga before he study Sri Lankan commentaries.

Bhandatacariya Buddhaghosa Thera mentioned the ancient commentaries numerous times in Visuddhimagga. Even in Panna-bhumi-niddesa section where Buddhaghosa Thera explained Paticca Samuppada, it was clearly stated that such exposition is
Now , in teaching this dependent origination the Blessed One has set forth the text in the way beginning, “With ignorance as condition there are formations” (S II 20). Its meaning should be commented on by one who keeps within the circle of the Vibhajjavádins, who does not misrepresent the teachers, who does not advertise his own standpoint, who does not quarrel with the standpoint of others, who does not distort suttas, who is in agreement with the Vinaya, who looks to the principal authorities (mahápadesa—D II 123ff.), who illustrates the law (dhamma), who takes up the meaning (attha), repeatedly reverting to that same meaning, describing it in various different ways.6 And it is inherently difficult to comment on the dependent origination, as the Ancients said:
The truth, a being, rebirth-linking, And the structure of conditions, Are four things very hard to see And likewise difficult to teach.
Therefore, considering that to comment on the dependent origination is impossible except for those who are expert in the texts:

Whilst I would now begin the comment
On the structure of conditions I find no footing for support
And seem to founder in a sea. [523] However, many modes of teaching Grace the Dispensation here,
And still the former teachers’ way Is handed down unbrokenly .
Therefore on both of these relying
For my support, I now begin Its meaning to elucidate:
Listen therefore attentively.

26. For this has been said by the former teachers:

Whoever learns alertly this [discourse] Will go from excellence to excellence, And when perfected, he will then escape Beyond the vision of the King of Death.
Therefore, his argument is not valid.

2) Another point is Buddhagosha admitted he did not understand Dependent Origination hence he is not an Arahant.

Buddhaghosa Thera didn't say so. He said that he wasn't sure how to expound Paticca Samuppada due to its profound complexity but with the guidance of the Elders, he successfully did it.

Arahantship is not like a scholarship degree that can be gained by just literal understanding Dhamma. It needs penetration through meditation. Literal understanding of Dhamma is important but it is far from the goal. This is why Buddhism emphasized "Pariyatti (Learning), Patipatti (Practice) and Pativeda (Realization)". And this is related to nature and Parami of the disciple. Some need to listen a short Gatha for gaining enlightenment. Some need to meditate diligently to gain enlightenment. Some meditate diligently yet couldn't get any closer to even Sotapanna (one example in SN). I will say that similar to Venerable Ananda Thera before gaining enlightenment, Bhandatacariya Buddhaghosa Thera also understood the Dhamma, yet he is still a Sekha disciple and need to do much further work. So this accusation wasn't valid.

3) However, he admits that Visuddhimagga is useful for people who expect to develop Jhana but not for people who need to attain Nibbana.

Visuddhimagga is a "resume" created by Bhandatacariya Buddhaghosa Thera to be given to Mahaviharavasins for approval of orthodoxy. It never intended to be a guidebook for layperson. It was for monks to read as an exegesis of Pali Tipitaka. So in the end, one still need to refer to Pali Tipitaka as authoritative texts.

But Jhana attainment and Nibbana aren't reachable just by book knowledge. Eventually one need to get rid of attachment towards Scriptures too, as Lord Buddha said His Dhamma was a "Raft" meant to be used for crossing Samsara. So his point here is vague.
Last edited by Ontheway on Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

By birth I believe.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SarathW wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:21 am
By birth I believe.
is he arhant with mind reading power to assess if buddhaghosa know DO or not?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:39 pm
By birth I believe.
Apparently, Buddhgosha has mentioned it in Visuddhimagga.
:shrug:
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SarathW wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:21 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:39 pm
By birth I believe.
Apparently, Buddhgosha has mentioned it in Visuddhimagga.
:shrug:
proof? reference?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...