New Book by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Coëmgenu

Re: New Book by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu

Post by Coëmgenu »

un8- wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:20 pmI found a similar one by Ven Punnaji, check it out, he has similar views

on page 34 (link below)
There was a brief period of time when I was nearly a Puññajist myself. IMO, of the secular-style teachers, his re-defining of DO is the most internally coherent and matched to the Pāli suttas. I don't agree with it, but acknowledge its coherency.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:13 pm
un8- wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:20 pmI found a similar one by Ven Punnaji, check it out, he has similar views

on page 34 (link below)
There was a brief period of time when I was nearly a Puññajist myself. IMO, of the secular-style teachers, his re-defining of DO is the most internally coherent and matched to the Pāli suttas. I don't agree with it, but acknowledge its coherency.
I think the key takeaway there is "re-defining".
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

bodom wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:37 pm He also said he agreed with 90% of the Visuddhimagga but again just not the 3 lifetime interpretation found therein.

:anjali:
I don't think he said that...

In one of his Dhammatalk videos on YouTube, he literally said Visuddhimagga was wrong and only for the purpose of generating good merits that continues the Samsara. While Buddhadasa's method was better than Visuddhimagga as he said. He also actively criticised Bhandatacariya Buddhaghosa Thera's for his description of supernatural events such Devas, Brahmas, Iddhis etc.

I think he never read Visuddhimagga properly. :roll:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ontheway wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:04 pm
bodom wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:37 pm He also said he agreed with 90% of the Visuddhimagga but again just not the 3 lifetime interpretation found therein.

In one of his Dhammatalk videos on YouTube, he literally said Visuddhimagga was wrong and only for the purpose of generating good merits that continues the Samsara. While Buddhadasa's method was better than Visuddhimagga as he said. He also actively criticised Bhandatacariya Buddhaghosa Thera's for his description of supernatural events such Devas, Brahmas, Iddhis etc.

even buddha spoke of devas.. so what?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
bodom

Post by bodom »

Except he did and he actually said 95 percent of the Visuddhimagga is useful not 90. You can find this in Ajahn Buddhadasa's book Under the Bodhi Tree translated by one of his senior students:
Ajahn Buddhadāsa both acknowledged the tremendous contribution that Ven. Buddhaghosa made to Theravāda Buddhism and criticized some of the conservative interpretations that this dominant medieval Buddhist teacher represents: “Ninety-five percent of the Visuddhimagga is useful; five percent of it should be thrown out.”
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Atulya

Post by Atulya »

Hi,
Please let me know from where I can purchase this book?

Regards,
Atul
bodom

Post by bodom »

Atulya wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:05 am Hi,
Please let me know from where I can purchase this book?

Regards,
Atul
Hi Atulya

It will be available from the publisher Shambala and other places online January 25th 2022. A bit of a wait yet.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
twinkledoll

Post by twinkledoll »

Thank you kindly for sharing that, Bodom. :anjali:
bodom

Post by bodom »

twinkledoll wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:01 am Thank you kindly for sharing that, Bodom. :anjali:
You're welcome!

- BB
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

Thank you for the information, Bodom.

FYI: A preview of the first 115 pages can be found at Google Books (the preview at Shambhala is of 38 pages only)

https://books.google.co.th/books?id=cQBMEAAAQBAJ

https://books.google.co.th/books?id=cQB ... &q&f=false
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Somehow I ended up with both the Kindle version and the paperback. I used Google's accessibility feature Talkback to listen to the Kindle version. It is really good. I used to prefer books that I can hold in my hands, but now I just want the Kindle version. Eyestrain makes it really easy to fall asleep sitting up with the book in my hands and then I lose my place.
bodom

Post by bodom »

suriyopama wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:58 pm Thank you for the information, Bodom.

FYI: A preview of the first 115 pages can be found at Google Books (the preview at Shambhala is of 38 pages only)

https://books.google.co.th/books?id=cQBMEAAAQBAJ

https://books.google.co.th/books?id=cQB ... &q&f=false
Thanks!

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

Inedible wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:59 am Somehow I ended up with both the Kindle version and the paperback. I used Google's accessibility feature Talkback to listen to the Kindle version. It is really good. I used to prefer books that I can hold in my hands, but now I just want the Kindle version. Eyestrain makes it really easy to fall asleep sitting up with the book in my hands and then I lose my place.
I've downloaded the book yesterday and am impressed by the breadth of topics covered in.

- BB
Gwi II

Post by Gwi II »

Thanks Ontheway.
For Theravādins, shun monks who reject the
Vissuddhimaggo; approach the bhikkhu who
upholds the Visuddhimaggo
(even though
the Visuddhimaggo is not a scriptures and not
a Commentary [the Visuddhimagga's position
is first after those two]).

However, do not insult a monk who rejects
the Visuddhimaggo. They haven't read it, if
they have read it, they don't understand it.
Like someone who has no jhāna, but feels
a meditation-master.

Great bhikkhus DEFINITELY cite the VISUDDHIMAGGO IN HIS WORKS, especially masterpieces.
:quote:
Gwi: "There are only-two Sakaṽādins:
Theraṽādå&Ṽibhajjaṽādå, the rest are
nonsakaṽādins!"
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Gwi II wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:52 am

Thanks Ontheway.
For Theravādins, shun monks who reject the
Vissuddhimaggo; approach the bhikkhu who
upholds the Visuddhimaggo
(even though
the Visuddhimaggo is not a scriptures and not
a Commentary [the Visuddhimagga's position
is first after those two]).

However, do not insult a monk who rejects
the Visuddhimaggo. They haven't read it, if
they have read it, they don't understand it.
Like someone who has no jhāna, but feels
a meditation-master.

Great bhikkhus DEFINITELY cite the VISUDDHIMAGGO IN HIS WORKS, especially masterpieces.
:quote:
Hi Gwi, yes you are right that we shouldn't insult those who reject Visuddhimagga. I will not do that too.

Maybe you will be interested in what was told:

Start from 40:00 and keep listening how Commentaries tradition was treated by them
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false