Goenka tradition and Nimitta

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Akarapat82

Goenka tradition and Nimitta

Post by Akarapat82 »

Hi guys,

I have a question to ask. I know Nimitta isn't essential for Goenka tradition, but I did experience it in one of the retreat I went.

After I move my concentrating on each part of my body, part by part, I begin to see white cloud (kinda like white cloth) around whereever I concentrate. After I do that for a (long) while, a very bright light break out of white cloth where I was putting my concentration on. I was terrified at that time, did not know what it is. The bright light has lasting effect on me. Now after a couple of years I still feel tightness at the location where the bright light appear (on my forehead)

I come across Visuddhimagga which also talks about Nimitta. I realize that the white cloth was actually Uggaha-Nimitta, and the bright light was Patipak Nimitta.

I think they do not talk about Nimitta in Goenka tradition, but I did experience it.

I wonder how should I move forward. I am planning to attend another Goenka retreat soon to experiment on it.

By the way during my experience of Patipak Nimitta, all my pain disappear. I wonder if that is similar to "all senses shut off" as described by Goenka for Nibbana in Satipatthana Sutta retreat.

Thanks!
DiamondNgXZ

Re: Goenka tradition and Nimitta

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

Akarapat82 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:33 pm Hi guys,

I have a question to ask. I know Nimitta isn't essential for Goenka tradition, but I did experience it in one of the retreat I went.

After I move my concentrating on each part of my body, part by part, I begin to see white cloud (kinda like white cloth) around whereever I concentrate. After I do that for a (long) while, a very bright light break out of white cloth where I was putting my concentration on. I was terrified at that time, did not know what it is. The bright light has lasting effect on me. Now after a couple of years I still feel tightness at the location where the bright light appear (on my forehead)

I come across Visuddhimagga which also talks about Nimitta. I realize that the white cloth was actually Uggaha-Nimitta, and the bright light was Patipak Nimitta.

I think they do not talk about Nimitta in Goenka tradition, but I did experience it.

I wonder how should I move forward. I am planning to attend another Goenka retreat soon to experiment on it.

By the way during my experience of Patipak Nimitta, all my pain disappear. I wonder if that is similar to "all senses shut off" as described by Goenka for Nibbana in Satipatthana Sutta retreat.

Thanks!
Go to the retreats of teachers who teaches nimitta. Ajahn Brahm or Pa Auk Sayadaw. Pa Auk has more branches internationally. Ajahn Brahm has more on method language. Read their books. Aim for Jhana, without craving for Jhana, use chanda.
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

From memory: the Dalai Lama asks Goenkaji if one will be able to see light in his 10 day courses. The Dalai Lama sends 2 of his senior Lamas to a course who report back that yes, after 3 days they saw light, whereas usually it can take years of practice in their tradition.

In one of the evening discourses Goenkaji describes how a lady stops him from running away during his first course, he stays and sees light. Wisely he makes no big deal of it. It is just a waystation on the path, not to be strived for. Practice correctly, it happens and one moves on. Don't waste time being stuck on that level.
BrokenBones

Re:

Post by BrokenBones »

sunnat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:52 am From memory: the Dalai Lama asks Goenkaji if one will be able to see light in his 10 day courses. The Dalai Lama sends 2 of his senior Lamas to a course who report back that yes, after 3 days they saw light, whereas usually it can take years of practice in their tradition...
Takes me less than a second... flick the switch... et voila! All that time & effort for nowt.
Akarapat82

Post by Akarapat82 »

thepea

Post by thepea »

Nimitta is taught only in long courses of goenka.
But nimitta can be experienced on your first course.
He describes it but does not name it, there are different ones that arise. You focus on nimitta for anapana, then can absorb into nimitta for Vipassana. Depends on what arises and what you are observing from moment to moment.
robertk

Re:

Post by robertk »

sunnat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:52 am From memory: the Dalai Lama asks Goenkaji if one will be able to see light in his 10 day courses. The Dalai Lama sends 2 of his senior Lamas to a course who report back that yes, after 3 days they saw light, whereas usually it can take years of practice in their tradition.

In
There was this letter from the Office of H. H. the Dalai Lama back on esangha , . The original was an upload with all the fancy background and signatures
Dear*********,

Thank you for your email of December 1, regarding the article by Norman Fischer about an interview he had with Goenka-ji. I am afraid most of the conversation that is purported to have taken place between Goenka-ji and His Holiness are not true. Moreover, the event leading to the meeting that he is referring to, if it did take place, took place some twenty-five or thirty years ago! I was present with His Holiness at that public function for the followers of Dr. Ambedkar.

I was also present when His Holiness the Dalai Lama did meet Goenka-ji some years ago in Maharashtra, not very far from Mumbai. At the time they discussed about teaching meditation and Buddhism in India, but that had nothing to do about Tibetan lamas going to attend Goenka-ji's courses on meditation.

With best wishes,

Tenzin Geyche Tethong
Secretary to H.H. the Dalai Lama

Office of H. H. the Dalai Lama
Thekchen Choeling
McLeod Ganj - 176 219
Dharamsala, H.P.
INDIA

Tel.: +91 (1892) 221343, 221879, 221210
Fax: +91 (1892) 221813
Email: [email protected]
Protect Dhamma