How To Be Good Person (Without Act? Without Doing?)

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
balaputradeva

How To Be Good Person (Without Act? Without Doing?)

Post by balaputradeva »

Hello, I want to ask. How to be good?

Is by reading or hearing good motivation act, thinking good act, seeing good video motivation, then someone can be call good?

Answer base Abhidhamma are welcome.

Thank you.
robertk

Re: How To Be Good Person (Without Act? Without Doing?)

Post by robertk »

balaputradeva wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:30 am Hello, I want to ask. How to be good?

Is by reading or hearing good motivation act, thinking good act, seeing good video motivation, then someone can be call good?

The ten puñña kiriya vatthu are listed here:
https://www.wisdomlib.org/buddhism/book ... c2650.html
dāna or generosity, kusala accomplished by dāna, the giving away of useful things to someone else,

sīla or morality, kusala accomplished by sīla, abstention from akusala kamma,

bhāvanā or mental development, kusala accomplished through the development of samatha and of vipassanā,

apacāyana or paying respect, kusala accomplished by paying respect to those who deserve it,

veyyāvaca or rendering service, kusala accomplished by applying energy in helping someone else with the tasks that are to be done,

pattidāna or sharing of merit, kusala accomplished by letting someone else know of one’s kusala so that he can appreciate it,

pattanumodana or appreciation, kusala accomplished by the appreciation of someone else’s kusala,

desanā or teaching, kusala accomplished by the teaching of the Dhamma,

savana or listening, kusala accomplished by listening to the Dhamma,

diṭṭhujukamma or correction of one’s views, kusala accomplished by acquiring right view of realities.
So it can indeed be good to read or listen to Dhamma.

But it does depend on the cittas that arise while reading, listening or considering. Sometimes we feel bored listening, or misunderstand.
Or we might listen to someone who misrepresents Dhamma and attach to their ideas- so rather than there being ditthujukamma there is development of wrong view.

In the end every moment is different - sometimes kusala and sometimes akusala..no self there. So no good or bad person in the highest meaning.
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

balaputradeva wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:30 am Is by reading or hearing good motivation act, thinking good act, seeing good video motivation, then someone can be call good?
Not just by hearing or seeing but by believing it or at least liking it.

First two factors of noble eightfold path is correct view and correct thinking.
eg: believing Kamma, Tisarana, Four noble truths
and thinking correctly about them

The verbal, physical and concentrating path factors comes next.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The simple answer is to follow the Noble Eightfold Path.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
jc1990

Post by jc1990 »

I think it's precepts, keep sila 8 if you can.
balaputradeva

Post by balaputradeva »

robertk wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:53 am
balaputradeva wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:30 am Hello, I want to ask. How to be good?

The ten puñña kiriya vatthu are listed here:
https://www.wisdomlib.org/buddhism/book ... c2650.html
dāna or generosity, kusala accomplished by dāna, the giving away of useful things to someone else,

sīla or morality, kusala accomplished by sīla, abstention from akusala kamma,

bhāvanā or mental development, kusala accomplished through the development of samatha and of vipassanā,

apacāyana or paying respect, kusala accomplished by paying respect to those who deserve it,

veyyāvaca or rendering service, kusala accomplished by applying energy in helping someone else with the tasks that are to be done,

pattidāna or sharing of merit, kusala accomplished by letting someone else know of one’s kusala so that he can appreciate it,

pattanumodana or appreciation, kusala accomplished by the appreciation of someone else’s kusala,

desanā or teaching, kusala accomplished by the teaching of the Dhamma,

savana or listening, kusala accomplished by listening to the Dhamma,

diṭṭhujukamma or correction of one’s views, kusala accomplished by acquiring right view of realities.
So it can indeed be good to read or listen to Dhamma.

But it does depend on the cittas that arise while reading, listening or considering. Sometimes we feel bored listening, or misunderstand.
Or we might listen to someone who misrepresents Dhamma and attach to their ideas- so rather than there being ditthujukamma there is development of wrong view.

In the end every moment is different - sometimes kusala and sometimes akusala..no self there. So no good or bad person in the highest meaning.
Thank you very much, Sir.

The source you give helps me much.
I will try to understand it.

---

And thank you very much too, to whom answer my question.
jc1990

Post by jc1990 »

If by good you mean virtuous, then it is to keep precepts (sila)

and if you want to be happy, then do daan and meditation aswell.
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

I am rather moral but I can't give up sexual desires and intimacy.

:anjali:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna »

Thank you.
How do you be bad? I guess whatever you think that is do the opposite.

Honestly, you are already practicing being “GOOD” because you already have Right intentions. The motivation has already arisen in you to do “GOOD”<—-whatever that means right just a stupid view??

If your intentions are to do good, honestly your Good 99.9% of the time unless your terribly deluded.