Defending

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
maniture_85

Re: Defending

Post by maniture_85 »

maniture_85 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:01 pm
santa100 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:48 am
maniture_85 wrote:There can be the case where a noble person, having forgiven and tried many soft means for years, has decided to use all of its strength in order to defend himself from long lasting attacks, knowing it may have powerful and painful effects ( simbolically, but still ) on other beings who offedded and are offending him with hypocrisy and insensitivity.
Are there suttas refering to a situation like this?
Depends on what you meant by "noble person". If it meant "Noble person" (one who has attained one of the Four Noble Fruits), then chances are that Noble One would either patiently/gently respond out of compassion for the other party or equanimously move on if s/he recognizes it's fruitless to help. See the The Simile of the Saw Sutta for more details. But if it just meant a regular noble person in the mundane sense who has not attained any of the Fruits, but try to observe the Five Precepts the best they can, then they might've responded a bit more forcefully, as long as it's still within bounds of those basic precepts.
Santa,
as Noble i mean one with at least a stream entry attainment. Referring to enlightened bodhisattvas would be useful to me for a deeper understanding of the matter.
Thank you
santa100

Post by santa100 »

maniture_85 wrote:as Noble i mean one with at least a stream entry attainment. Referring to enlightened bodhisattvas would be useful to me for a deeper understanding of the matter.
I've already provided my take on the case of Noble one who's attained one of the Four Fruits. Regarding the case of "enlightened bodhisattvas" you might wanna try Dharmawheel.net for they might be more knowledgeable about the bodhisattvas' topic.
asahi

Post by asahi »

:candle:
No bashing No gossiping
maniture_85

Post by maniture_85 »

asahi wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:45 pm:candle:
:anjali:
maniture_85

Post by maniture_85 »

Rambutan wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:28 am
maniture_85 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:56 pm There can be the case where a noble person, having forgiven and tried many soft means for years, has decided to use all of its strength in order to defend himself from long lasting attacks, knowing it may have powerful and painful effects ( simbolically, but still ) on other beings who offedded and are offending him with hypocrisy and insensitivity.
Are there suttas refering to a situation like this?
Many thanks
If there aren’t, then why write this to sound as though you are quoting one?
Not sure about the purpose of your question.
maniture_85

Post by maniture_85 »

befriend wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:45 am Monks turning their alms bowls upside down? So corrupt people can't make merit
Not talking about monks.