Greetings everyone here.

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Somewesternmonk

Greetings everyone here.

Post by Somewesternmonk »

I am a monk living in Sri Lanka. I have a keen interest in the Early Buddhist Texts and Ven.Nanavira's writings. I am looking for someone who is an expert in the latter's ideas so I have come on this website in hopes of finding such a person or group of people who would be able to elucidate the points in his book (Notes on Dhamma) that I find unclear. If you are willing to help please contact me via private messaging.

Thanks
retrofuturist

Re: Greetings everyone here.

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

There are several active members here who are across Nanavira Thera's teachings to greater or lesser degrees.

Until there is a particular reason why you would want to do that conversation privately or "one-on-one", I would recommend creating a new topic in the General Theravada section, where people (myself included) will be more than happy to address your questions, as best we can.

There are also lots of existing topics on Nanavira and his teachings which you'll be able to find via the internal search engine, or if you prefer, via the Google Saffron Theravada Search Engine. If using Google Saffron, just include the term dhammawheel in your search, and it will likely return mostly results from this site.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Somewesternmonk

Post by Somewesternmonk »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your suggestions

I have a lot of questions to ask on this topic, and I fear using the 'topics' route you suggested on here might complicate things (I really do not want a general discussion based on my questions) and so delay me getting the answers I want. But I will give it a shot... but:

Firstly how should I approach this? should I put a few questions up at a time or just one at a time.

Also can I state 1) that I don't want people debating each other on this topic (the only person who can question another's or poke holes in another's reply is me). 2) I don't want people asking their own questions on here. 3) Once I have had a satisfying answer on a question, then I do not want anyone to keep providing answers. 4) I only want people who know his writings well enough to make a reply, I don't want opinions from people who are only somewhat familiar with him, they have to be certain that they will not be misrepresenting his views.

:smile:
Last edited by Somewesternmonk on Tue May 10, 2022 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,
Somewesternmonk wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:31 am Firstly how should I approach this? should I put a few questions up at a time or just one at a time.
Either way is fine... perhaps consider whether any of the questions overlap in any meaningful way.
Somewesternmonk wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:31 am Also can I state 1) that I don't want people debating each other on this topic (the only person who can question another's or poke holes in another's reply is me). 2) I don't want people asking their own questions on here. 3) Once I have had a satisfying answer on a question, then I do not want anyone to keep providing answers. 4) I only want people who know his writings well enough to make a reply, I don't want opinions from people who are only somewhat familiar with him, they have to be certain that they will not be misrepresenting his views.
You certainly can set the conversation up with those parameters. All I'd ask is that you put them in the opening post, so it's clear to everyone (members and moderators alike) so we can do the best to try to ensure those parameters are adhered to. For more information, see: A guide on how to get the most out of your new topics.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:hello:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Welcome, Bhante. :anjali:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

Dear monk,

May you fulfill your deepest wish for happiness. :anjali:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Bhante!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB