Did Buddha ask ask to worship him?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
MrLearner

Did Buddha ask ask to worship him?

Post by MrLearner »

Hello everyone,

Here are some questions I have about how people have reacted after Buddha's death

1. Did Buddha want us to make statues about him and worship him? I don't understand the point of doing this. I mean Buddha was indeed an admirable man, but I'm sure he wants us to help someone in need rather than worshipping his statues.

2. Is worshiping with flowers etc nessecary? Isn't it better helping someone else or doing some other good karma that actually has an effect on someone during this time.

3. Why do in some places small children are taken as monks. I mean you have to look no further than Buddha's life. He experienced all the pleasures in life and then understood it was meaningless and reached enlightenment. These small monks have not experienced these pleasures so how can they understand they are meaningless.

Having said all that. I understand that temples are necessary. It is a place for monks to recruit and find shelter and to continue on their efforts to find peace. Also for the longevity and spread of Buddhism temples are a good thing. Not saying they are entirely bad, but I like the answers for above questions. Thanks :smile:
Mkoll

Re: Did Buddha ask ask to worship him?

Post by Mkoll »

I don't remember the sutta but the Buddha said the best way to worship him was to practice the Dhamma. You practice the Dhamma to see the Dhamma and thus see the Buddha. In another sutta, the Buddha says (paraphrasing): whosoever sees the Dhamma sees me and whosoever sees me sees the Dhamma.

:candle:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi samtheman,

Regarding question 1, here is a statement about remembrance:
26. "The body of a universal monarch, Ananda, is first wrapped round with new linen, and then with teased cotton wool, and so it is done up to five hundred layers of linen and five hundred of cotton wool. When that is done, the body of the universal monarch is placed in an iron[48] oil vessel, which is enclosed in another iron vessel, a funeral pyre is built of all kinds of perfumed woods, and so the body of the universal monarch is burned; and at a crossroads a stupa is raised for the universal monarch. So it is done, Ananda, with the body of a universal monarch. And even, Ananda, as with the body of a universal monarch, so should it be done with the body of the Tathagata; and at a crossroads also a stupa should be raised for the Tathagata. And whosoever shall bring to that place garlands or incense or sandalpaste, or pay reverence, and whose mind becomes calm there — it will be to his well being and happiness for a long time.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .vaji.html
Here is one of many suttas about recollecting the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... all-Buddha

:anjali:
Mike
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

When the Buddha was close to death he said that he should not be worshiped, which is an indication that even during his lifetime people were starting to worship him. As with most ideologies, though, he was worshiped anyway...human habits are hard to break.

According to the below sutta, only yourself and the dhamma should be your refuge, not the Buddha.

"Monks, live with yourself as your island, yourself as your refuge, with nothing else as your refuge. Live with the Dhamma as your island, the Dhamma as your refuge, with nothing else as your refuge."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
mahat

Post by mahat »

samtheman wrote:Hello everyone,

Here are some questions I have about how people have reacted after Buddha's death

1. Did Buddha want us to make statues about him and worship him? I don't understand the point of doing this. I mean Buddha was indeed an admirable man, but I'm sure he wants us to help someone in need rather than worshipping his statues.

2. Is worshiping with flowers etc nessecary? Isn't it better helping someone else or doing some other good karma that actually has an effect on someone during this time.

3. Why do in some places small children are taken as monks. I mean you have to look no further than Buddha's life. He experienced all the pleasures in life and then understood it was meaningless and reached enlightenment. These small monks have not experienced these pleasures so how can they understand they are meaningless.

Having said all that. I understand that temples are necessary. It is a place for monks to recruit and find shelter and to continue on their efforts to find peace. Also for the longevity and spread of Buddhism temples are a good thing. Not saying they are entirely bad, but I like the answers for above questions. Thanks :smile:
1) From Itivutaka 91:

Even if one should seize the hem of my robe and walk step by step behind me, if he is covetous in his desires, fierce in his longings, malevolent of heart, with corrupt mind, careless and unrestrained, noisy and distracted and with senses uncontrolled, he is far from me. And why? He does not see the Dhamma, and not seeing the Dhamma, he does not see me. Even if one lives a hundred miles away, if he is not covetous in his desires, not fierce in his longings, with a kind heart and pure mind, mindful, composed, calmed, one-pointed and with senses restrained, then indeed, he is near to me and I am near to him. And why? He sees the Dhamma, and seeing the Dhamma, sees me.

Though physically close behind, If one is acquisitive and restless, How far is that turbulent one from one at peace, That burning one from one cooled,

That hankering one from one content! But thoroughly understanding Dhamma, And freed from longing through insight, The wise one, rid of all desire, Is calm as a pool unstirred by the wind. How close is that peaceful one to one at peace, That cool one to one cooled, That content one to one content!

However, those statues are there for people who are "still far from the Dhamma". It might bring them some comfort and a little bit of merit.

2) Worship with flowers has some merit, but Buddha said worshipping with virtue is even better:

Dhammapada Verse 54: The scent of flowers cannot go against the wind; nor the scent of sandalwood, nor of rhododendron (tagara), nor of jasmin (mallika)2; only the reputation of good people can go against the wind. The reputation of the virtuous ones (sappurisa) is wafted abroad in all directions.

Verse 55: There are the scents of sandalwood, rhododendron, lotus and jasmin (vassika)3; but the scent of virtue surpasses all scents.

3) Age does not determine wisdom: Dhammapada chap. 11:

Just as the ox grows old
so this man of little learning:
his fleshiness increases,
his wisdom doesn’t grow.

Generally monasteries have served as educational institutions in many countries, which is why you see many children ordain -- however, monks and nuns must prove they are trustworthy and are trained. Many children than disrobe if they don't think it's for them when they grow older, however, the discipline they keep forever.

Children who were wise beyond their age and could see the dangers of sense desires and they themselves seeing the dangers of sense desires were allowed to ordain -- with the approval of their parents.
pulga

Post by pulga »

mahat wrote: Children who were wise beyond their age and could see the dangers of sense desires and they themselves seeing the dangers of sense desires were allowed to ordain -- with the approval of their parents.
I thought it had more to do with their having a bad horoscope.
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
Mohan Gnanathilake

Post by Mohan Gnanathilake »

The Gautama Buddha never asked to worship him. One who pays respect to the Gautama Buddha with the right understanding does not have a confused idea of the Gautama Buddha in heaven who could see him or hear him. The statue of the Gautama Buddha reminds him of the virtues of the Gautama Buddha.
All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with impure mind pain follows him like the wheel the hoof of the ox.
(Dhammapada 1, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)

All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind –made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind happiness follows him like one’s shadow that never leaves.
(Dhammapada 2, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

Hello:

A Buddha statue is a symbol, and u pay respects/admiration to that symbol as a sign of u recognizing what he did and represents.
If u are a boxer, u have a picture of Muhammad Ali in your locker. If u are a football player, u have a shirt of Messi. Its just the same thing.

Its something to be done to arouse energy and motivation for the practice, worshipping has a different connotation.

Regards.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

1. Buddha images were not made during the time of the Buddha. He allowed Ānanda to plant the Ānanda Bodhi Tree as a place for visitors to worship when the Buddha was away on tour.
  2. The Buddha made it clear that the best way to revere him was to practice his teaching. See the Mahāparinibbāna Sutta. He instructed a pagoda to be built when Arahants passed away.
  3. The Buddha's own son, Rāhula, became a monk at the age of seven. There were others who become Arahants at that age while being ordained. Some children are wiser than some old monks. It is not necessary to enjoy every kind of pleasure to figure out that they are the cause of suffering, just as it is not necessary to drink the entire ocean to understand that it is salty.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

here an excerpt from DN 32: “‘From where the sun comes up,
the son of Aditi, the great circle,
while that one is coming up,
the darkness of night comes to an end,

“‘And after the sun has come up,
it is said to be the daytime,
there is a deep lake in that place,
an ocean where the waters have flowed,

“‘Thus in that place they know there is
an ocean where the waters have flowed,
from here that is the Easterly direction,
so the people declare.

“‘That direction is watched over
by a resplendent Great King,
he is the master of the gandhabbas,
Dhataraṭṭha, such is his name.

“‘He delights in song and dance,
he is honoured by gandhabbas,
he also has a great many sons,
all of one name, so I have heard,

“‘They are eighty and ten and one,
Inda by name, ones of great strength,
they, having seen the Awakened One,
the Buddha, kinsman of the sun,

“‘From afar, do reverence him,
who is great and fully mature:
“Reverence to you, excellent one!
Reverence to you, supreme one!”

“‘You have looked on us with goodness,
the non-human beings worship you,
we have heard this repeatedly,
therefore we should speak like this:

“‘You should worship the victor Gotama,
we should worship the victor Gotama,
who has understanding and good conduct,
we should worship the Buddha Gotama!”

the buddha goes on to say that you should learn this (in full) (the āṭānāṭiya protection)
https://suttacentral.net/en/dn32
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
hoasenphat

Post by hoasenphat »

Worship has transformed Buddhism, which atheists have become polytheists!
https://hoasenphat.com
Hoa Sen Phật cập nhật thường xuyên tin tức Phật giáo, thần chú Phật giáo và pháp thoại Phật giáo.
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

An important point on children who permanently stay at a monastery/nunnery is that often monasteries were and sometimes are a kind of orphanage. Children who could not be supported by the parents for whatever reason were often placed in a monastery. In the case of non~celibate clergy their children would be raised to inherit the family profession.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:56 am
  1. Buddha images were not made during the time of the Buddha. He allowed Ānanda to plant the Ānanda Bodhi Tree as a place for visitors to worship when the Buddha was away on tour.
  2. The Buddha made it clear that the best way to revere him was to practice his teaching. See the Mahāparinibbāna Sutta. He instructed a pagoda to be built when Arahants passed away.
  3. The Buddha's own son, Rāhula, became a monk at the age of seven. There were others who become Arahants at that age while being ordained. Some children are wiser than some old monks. It is not necessary to enjoy every kind of pleasure to figure out that they are the cause of suffering, just as it is not necessary to drink the entire ocean to understand that it is salty.
:anjali:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
mario92

Post by mario92 »

I remember a story of a woman that was going to die and then the buddha knew she was going to reborn in hell, when she saw the buddha, she bowed down and after some hours she died, because of that merit she was reborn in heaven. Also i remember another story from vimanavathu about a deva that was reborn in heaven for many aeons because creating a bamboo image of a past buddha in the forest. Someone knows the exact story?
Last edited by mario92 on Sun May 15, 2022 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

The Buddha did advised followers to respect Him, heed His advice and act towards Him with love and reverence in one sutta with Ananda Thera. I forget the Suttanta name, I post it when I found it.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false