Visiting sites in the Buddha's life

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
tharpa

Visiting sites in the Buddha's life

Post by tharpa »

I just got back from the local Theravadin temple. As part of the observance of Vesak, there was also a Tibetan monk and a Chogye (Korean Zen) monk, and a few laypeople. Somebody mentioned that the Buddha had said that people should visit four sites - Lumbini, Bodhgaya, the site of the Buddha's first sermon, and I forget the fourth. What surprised me was that the lokuhamdru (head Theravadin monk) concurred that the Buddha had said that.

Is anyone familiar with this? Is this in the Tipitika or just the Commentaries?
May all beings, in or out of the womb, be well, happy and peaceful.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Visiting sites in the Buddha's life

Post by DNS »

tharpa wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:39 pm Is anyone familiar with this? Is this in the Tipitika or just the Commentaries?
Ananda, there are four places the sight of which will arouse strong emotion in those with faith. Which four? Here the Tathagata (enlightened one) was born, this is the first place. Here the Tathagata attained Enlightenment, this is the second place. Here the Tathagata set in motion the Wheel of the Dhamma, this is the third place. Here the Tathagata attained final Nibbana without remainder, this is the fourth place. The monk or nun, layman or laywoman, who has faith should visit these places. And anyone who dies while making a pilgrimage to these places with a devout heart will, at the breaking up of the body, be reborn in heaven.”
DN 16 Maha-parinibanna Sutta

Similar to Islam and other religions, it's good to visit at least once in your lifetime, if one can afford it, to make this pilgrimage.

At the airport in New Delhi, I saw a sign that read "Welcome to India, your karma brought you here." :tongue:
tharpa

Re: Visiting sites in the Buddha's life

Post by tharpa »

DNS wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:46 pm
tharpa wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:39 pm Is anyone familiar with this? Is this in the Tipitika or just the Commentaries?
Ananda, there are four places the sight of which will arouse strong emotion in those with faith. Which four? Here the Tathagata (enlightened one) was born, this is the first place. Here the Tathagata attained Enlightenment, this is the second place. Here the Tathagata set in motion the Wheel of the Dhamma, this is the third place. Here the Tathagata attained final Nibbana without remainder, this is the fourth place. The monk or nun, layman or laywoman, who has faith should visit these places. And anyone who dies while making a pilgrimage to these places with a devout heart will, at the breaking up of the body, be reborn in heaven.”
DN 16 Maha-parinibanna Sutta
Thank you. I'm always shocked when I ask a question on the internet and someone actually answers my question. ;)
May all beings, in or out of the womb, be well, happy and peaceful.