Hillside Hermitage is headed for Slovenia!

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SDC

Hillside Hermitage is headed for Slovenia!

Post by SDC »

For those who are not familiar, Hillside Hermitage was founded by Ajahn Nyanamoli in Sri Lanka in 2014. Over the course of 8 years he, along with other monks and some lay volunteers, constructed several kutis and a multitude of pathways on a rugged and steep piece of land in the Knuckles Range. As time went on, there was increased development in the village below, which gradually chipped away at the seclusion that was the hallmark of this isolated hermitage.

With that, the monks opted to leave Sri Lanka a few months ago and have since spent time in both Serbia and Slovenia as they worked to secure land to continue the mission of developing a hermitage focused on seclusion in a rugged environment. I have just gotten word that the land has been secured and the plan is to build two to three kutis, each with limited solar capabilities and a rain collection system, as running water is not going to be available. This endeavor will obviously come with a cost and I’m here to ask any who are interested in giving to this group of monks to contribute here. To ensure your contribution goes directly to the construction of this new hermitage, please use the drop down and select “New Hermitage Building Development”.

I have followed the progress of the hermitage since its inception and have always observed the monks remain dedicated to the establishing and maintaining a place where the practice of the Dhamma is cherished. Indeed there are many such places and this is one certainly worth supporting.

Thank you for listening. :smile:

P.S. Be sure to check the Hillside Hermitage YouTube Channel for construction updates!

SarathW

Re: Hillside Hermitage is headed for Slovenia!

Post by SarathW »

Perhaps this is another fallout from the current economic crisis in Sri Lanka.
People cant by the necessities even if they have money due to the supply shortage created by the lack of USD reserve.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Alino

Post by Alino »

Saadhu! Saadhu! Saadhu! :anjali: :anjali: :anjali:
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

They seem a very sincere & serious (Vinaya) group who are worthy of gifts... even if I can't really relate to the teachings I've listened to.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Indeed, regardless of any disagreements we may have with the interpretations of individuals or small groups of monastics, it is always worth supporting efforts to live simply, dedicated to the Dhamma. It has been very inspiring watching this group live in such a rough and unforgiving environment, walking 6km round-trip daily for pindapata, so I’m sure it will be a blessing to all as they continue this venture in Slovenia.

A big thank you to all those who offer their support! :twothumbsup:
SDC

Post by SDC »

SarathW wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:21 am Perhaps this is another fallout from the current economic crisis in Sri Lanka.
People cant by the necessities even if they have money due to the supply shortage created by the lack of USD reserve.
Hi Sarath,

Though I have heard this has been an issue elsewhere in Sri Lanka, all indications are that this was not the case for Hillside. It appears that even throughout the economic struggles on the island there seemed to never be an issue for the monks gathering alms.

Thanks to all who have offered their support so far!
Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna »

SDC wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:20 am For those who are not familiar, Hillside Hermitage was founded by Ajahn Nyanamoli in Sri Lanka in 2014. Over the course of 8 years he, along with other monks and some lay volunteers, constructed several kutis and a multitude of pathways on a rugged and steep piece of land in the Knuckles Range. As time went on, there was increased development in the village below, which gradually chipped away at the seclusion that was the hallmark of this isolated hermitage.

With that, the monks opted to leave Sri Lanka a few months ago and have since spent time in both Serbia and Slovenia as they worked to secure land to continue the mission of developing a hermitage focused on seclusion in a rugged environment. I have just gotten word that the land has been secured and the plan is to build two to three kutis, each with limited solar capabilities and a rain collection system, as running water is not going to be available. This endeavor will obviously come with a cost and I’m here to ask any who are interested in giving to this group of monks to contribute here. To ensure your contribution goes directly to the construction of this new hermitage, please use the drop down and select “New Hermitage Building Development”.

I have followed the progress of the hermitage since its inception and have always observed the monks remain dedicated to the establishing and maintaining a place where the practice of the Dhamma is cherished. Indeed there are many such places and this is one certainly worth supporting.

Thank you for listening. :smile:

How do I become an Anagarika at Hillside Hermitage? Completely serious. I made a plan I would become a monk before 30, im 29 now, its time, how do i find this place?

Thank you.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Strive4Karuna wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:43 pm
I see you sent me a PM. It is probably best to address your questions there.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

I have been inspired many times by Ajahn Nyanamoli's teachings of the Dhamma. This seems like a venture worth donating to :anjali:
SDC

Post by SDC »

bpallister wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:49 am I have been inspired many times by Ajahn Nyanamoli's teachings of the Dhamma. This seems like a venture worth donating to :anjali:
:thumbsup:
Alino

Post by Alino »

Done :anjali:

Up.
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
SDC

Post by SDC »

Alino wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:46 am Done :anjali:

Up.
Excellent!!!

:clap:
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Idonated to his monestry and ajhan brahm also.. both have right views and good monks
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

confusedlayman wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:28 am Idonated to his monestry and ajhan brahm also.. both have right views and good monks
May beautiful Karma come to you.

:anjali:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
SDC

Post by SDC »

confusedlayman wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:28 am Idonated to his monestry and ajhan brahm also.. both have right views and good monks
:D :thumbsup: