anxiety

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
jacksonsophia

anxiety

Post by jacksonsophia »

What advice would you give someone who's feeling really anxious about a big event like an upcoming wedding, an important job interview, or even an exam?
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Firstly be patient. It can take time.

As one recognises that there is the phenomena called 'anxiety' within the mind-body phenomenon don't fight it, instead let it be and have a look at the nature of the breath at that moment.

The breath as it really is at that moment can anchor one in the present and allows whatever storm that has arisen to pass without developing further craving or ignorance in relation to the feeling 'anxiety', or any other good bad or neutral phenomena feeling that arises.

Keep gently returning the mind to the breath as it is in the present.

Don't try to change the breath, rather just notice how it is, including the impulse to try to control it.
JohnSo

Re: anxiety

Post by JohnSo »

There are always 2 answers to any problems, ie.
1. Solve
2. Can not solve.

And there are always 1 answer to those 2.

WHY WORRY if you can solve the matter. Everything is under control, so why worry and make it complicated since you can solve it.

WHY WORRY if you cannot solve the matter. Everything is beyond your control, so why worry and make it complicated since you cannot solve it. Let those who can solve the problem, solve it. That is why we need a friend.

So, WHY are you WORRY?
Alino

Post by Alino »

It depends on how anxiety express itself. Generally i use these methods.

If it expression is chaotic thoughts, then "Buddho" or another word, or chanting is good. The thing here is to remplace anxious thoughts with something wholesome.

If it expression is painful iron-hot feelings in a chest zone or other place, then it is good to contemplate this feeling just as feeling. Don't interpret it as anxiety, or any other mental state, let it be only on the body level. Feeling is just feeling. Be aware of your body. And be patient.

It's about dealing with symptoms of a problem.

As about wisdom work, you can focus on:

- impermanence (it is impermanent phenomena)
- or on anatta nature (it is conditioned phenomena, it arose due to causes and conditions and will naturally pass away with their cessation, i not their owner, it's not for me, it's not who i am),
- or by wise reflections (ok, there is anxiety, but what is the danger? What iam affraid to loose? Wealth? Status? Affraid of unpleasant feelings? At worth i will die, there is no problem here... As it's said : 'a good samouraï is a samouraï who is dead before the battle', it means that one need loose and relinquish all that he have before the battle, when one is died before his own death - he have nothing to loose, he have already nothing to loose or be affraid of...
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

jacksonsophia wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:27 am What advice would you give someone who's feeling really anxious about a big event like an upcoming wedding, an important job interview, or even an exam?
Only think about it when it's necessary to engage in preparations but don't spend any further thought.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
befriend

Post by befriend »

Compassionate thinking is a great way to get rid of social anxiety in my experience. When you think of putting yourself in someone else's shoes like how are they feeling how are they doing it makes you smile and your mind turns from being anxious and self obsessed to be relaxed and easy going because your putting your focus on others not yourself.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

This talk "Dealing with Anxiety" from Ajahn Brahm might be helpful:

:anjali:
jc1990

Post by jc1990 »

Meditation will solve all your problems, whether it be mental suffering or body suffering.

i think you have fear because you don't keep sila 5, i recommend you to eat vegetarian and don't be preoccupied with kama, and don't speak idle chatter and other precepts in sila 5, and if you want to be happier, then keep sila 8 and practice meditation.

do anapanasati, mindfullness of breath.

good luck.
tharpa

Post by tharpa »

jc1990 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:18 pm Meditation will solve all your problems, whether it be mental suffering or body suffering.

i think you have fear because you don't keep sila 5, i recommend you to eat vegetarian and don't be preoccupied with kama, and don't speak idle chatter and other precepts in sila 5, and if you want to be happier, then keep sila 8 and practice meditation.

do anapanasati, mindfullness of breath.

good luck.
"Meditation will solve all your problems"

As a meditator for 47 years, I can confidently say that no, it won't. An early stage on the path is that you think it will solve all of your problems. It doesn't, but persist anyway! :)

I like the rest of what you wrote, though.
May all beings, in or out of the womb, be well, happy and peaceful.
Deadelectronics

Post by Deadelectronics »

jacksonsophia wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:27 am What advice would you give someone who's feeling really anxious about a big event like an upcoming wedding, an important job interview, or even an exam?
Just do the prerequisites for a favorable outcome and do it. Don't let it clog your mind. If you skip out, you'll be presented with a similar event later that will make you regret it.
I hope the event went well for you.
Joy at last to know there is no happiness in the world!
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

recognize the impermanence of thoughts and emotions and train yourself to release fixation on them. View the experience from the context of a bigger picture, and know that you will wake up the next day and it will all have been last nights dream. You prepare for the work you need to do but don't fixate on the outcome.