Can buddhist vote for Euthanasia

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
asahi

Can buddhist vote for Euthanasia

Post by asahi »

Does the suttas have an answer and can a monk support euthanasia ?
No bashing No gossiping
perkele

Re: Can buddhist vote for Euthanasia

Post by perkele »

no
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

For monks, I believe it is an instant disrobing offence (parajika) to speak in praise of euthanasia:
Should any bhikkhu intentionally deprive a human being of life, or search for an assassin for him, or praise the advantages of death, or incite him to die (thus): "My good man, what use is this wretched, miserable life to you? Death would be better for you than life," or with such an idea in mind, such a purpose in mind, should in various ways praise the advantages of death or incite him to die, he also is defeated and no longer in communion.
For lay people, I can only recall the proscription on actual killing, but obviously voting for euthanasia (in the normal sense of someone else doing the killing) has the clear intention that some person or persons ought to die.
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

I think it's better to vote against euthanasia. If you suffer in this life it means your bad karma is being eroded. If you kill yourself you will still carry your bad karma into the next. Cmiiw.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person