Cittanupassana question.

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
TryingToMeditate

Cittanupassana question.

Post by TryingToMeditate »

Hi,

I have a question about cittanupassana in satipathana 4.

What are the set of discernments to use in cittanupassana. sometimes I use thinking about the past, thinking of future, thinking evil, planning, imaginating, imaginating evil thoughts and so on. But I'm not sure what is the set of discernment to use, because right now I'm just like trying on my own and it's very tiresome because I discern wrongly sometimes or going into too much detail and sometimes I couldn't find a discernment to use.

I want to know, what are set of discernment to use so that I meditate properly.

Thank you very much.
TryingToMeditate

Re: Cittanupassana question.

Post by TryingToMeditate »

Also sometimes I discern let it go, or tell myself, it's past, let it go. or i tell myself, it's future, don't plan about the future.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Cittanupassana means the knowing of your mental state based on attachment, aversion' and ignorance as well as the knowing of the mental states based on non-attachment, and non-aversion. and wisdom.

In Abhidhamma, these 52 mental states are catogarised in to in excess of 89 types of consciousness.

https://www.buddhistinquiry.org/article ... bhidhamma/
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
santa100

Post by santa100 »

TryingToMeditate wrote:What are the set of discernments to use in cittanupassana
Some info that might be helpful here
tranzenic

Post by tranzenic »

TryingToMeditate wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:47 am What are the set of discernments to use in cittanupassana. sometimes I use thinking about the past, thinking of future, thinking evil, planning, imaginating, imaginating evil thoughts and so on. But I'm not sure what is the set of discernment to use, because right now I'm just like trying on my own and it's very tiresome because I discern wrongly sometimes or going into too much detail and sometimes I couldn't find a discernment to use.

I once asked this question in an evening tea session and was told by the abbot that rather than trying to watch for certain set of this or that, you simply let your mind mirror (not observe) anything that currently occurs because whatever pops up in your mind in that very moment is the phenomena that you should instantly realize. He further stated that any attempt to categorize or analyze what you experience is just self-righteousness or clinging.

For example, if someone pissed you off in the past, and now that person appears in your head, realize your mind is in the past, and you're still upset with that they did, realize that past experience influence your current feeling of like/dislike, and your breathing may change or the crown of your head maybe warmer, realize your feeling of a past experience influence your body.

This site explains quite clearly each of the Four Foundations of the Mind https://www.karunasevena.cz/meditation-satipatthana
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

TryingToMeditate wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:47 am Hi,

I have a question about cittanupassana in satipathana 4.

What are the set of discernments to use in cittanupassana. sometimes I use thinking about the past, thinking of future, thinking evil, planning, imaginating, imaginating evil thoughts and so on. But I'm not sure what is the set of discernment to use, because right now I'm just like trying on my own and it's very tiresome because I discern wrongly sometimes or going into too much detail and sometimes I couldn't find a discernment to use.

Thank you very much.
Metta
Based on this limited description, you have not yet left domain of mental sankhara.
What your effort is still common worldly self-reflection a civilized person would do, in order to keep being reasonable & keep themselves from going crazy.

It is not yet dhamma practice.

If you are interested in taking up Satipathana as primary practice theme, you should go pick up Kayagatasati or anapanasati first.

Lots of dhamma talks on Anapanasati, go through a few of them, pick up a version that suits ur temperament.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Unless you get caught up the same kind of thoughts again and again no need to note the kind of thoughts to look at the contents of thoughts, don't get interested in the story just get interested in the mental process.

Notice when thought arises and passes away, notice when feelings arise and pass away. Notice the mid state and how it is colouring the perception of your experience, and most importantly notice the knowing process, and notice mental "energy".
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah