Tantra Buddhism

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
asahi

Re: Tantra Buddhism

Post by asahi »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:47 pm Theravāda the tradition, not monks ordained in its lineage with contrary views to it.
Theravada, (Pali: “Way of the Elders”) major form of Buddhism prevalent in Sri Lanka (Ceylon), Myanmar (Burma), Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos. Theravada, like all other Buddhist schools, claims to adhere most closely to the original doctrines and practices taught by the Buddha.
I take what you meant by contrary view is what wasnt stated in the suttas belongs to Theravada tradition position .
What exactly is your understanding by intermediate state if i may ask .
Last edited by asahi on Fri May 20, 2022 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
No bashing No gossiping
asahi

Post by asahi »

Coëmgenu wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:14 pm for someone who is ESL :
You meant "I referred to the tradition of Theravāda; not to monks ordained in the lineage of Theravāda but who have contrary views at variance with it."
Well , i was thinking what being held as "supposed to be correct understanding" according to Theravada tradition may actually be inaccurate . And what being held incorrect as "Differing View" in Theravada tradition could be accurate instead .

😄
No bashing No gossiping
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

The idea of an intermediate state is useful as a reflexive tool about this very life. This life could well be an intermediate state where ones own actions is being re-played before being reborn into a new one. This act of re-play might present a unique opportunity for changing the course of action and repentance before resurrection.
He who having been heedless is heedless no more, illuminates this world like the moon freed from clouds.

He, who by good deeds covers the evil he has done, illuminates this world like the moon freed from clouds.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Rambutan

Post by Rambutan »

4GreatHeavenlyKings wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:10 am
Rambutan wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:57 pm The Buddha gave teachings and answered questions put forth by farmers, kings, his own sangha, etc. for some forty years. But I don’t recall reading suttas where he interacts with sadhus, yogis or ascetics, of which india literally has, and had at that time, thousands. He even hung out with five of them just before attaining realization. Aside from those five, were there others?

I find this very strange, considering how integrated Tantra is with the indian view of reality itself.
There are many suttas in which the Buddha is portrayed as doing such. For example, in the Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta, he interacts with the wandering philosopher Vacchagotta, and in the Ādittapariyāya Sutta, the Buddha delivers a sermon to 1000 ascetics who formerly practised a sacred fire ritual.
Thanks. That’s just what I was wondering about
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Any time in an āgamasūtra or a Pāli sutta you see the Buddha interacting with any given "Brahmin," these are generally Brahmin yogis, i.e. śramaṇas. Most of the Buddha's discourses in the early Buddhist texts are to, as you put it, "sadhus, yogis or ascetics." There is a smaller amount of discourses that are addressed to householders who may or may not be farmers, fishermen, merchants, etc.

Even Vacchagotta has a Brahmanical name ("Vatsagotra").
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

peterjack wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:21 amI was immersed in this tradition before becoming drawn to the (relative) simplicity of Theravada.

However, I still feel concerned at the huge difference in teachings on, for example, the after death state and Tantric teachings. If for example the Tibetan teachings on the Bardo and the various methods for being mindful through the death process are valid then having been made aware of them surely we should take advantage of them? Equally we're told in Tantra that the only way to achieve Enlightenment (as opposed to Liberation only) is to practice Tantra - all other methods are merely paths to the Highest practices of Tantric Buddhism.
Please read my posts. Thank you friend. Tantra is basically Hinduism IMO. And Hindu is a pantheon religion just like the Roman religion and the belief system of the Quraishi tribe in Islamic tradition. It's a soft power. And mount Everest is the prime vortex of our world, which is the crown chakra of the world. Ramayana and Bhagavad-Gita also the Puranas are basically created to counter the spread of Buddhism.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

peterjack wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:21 am I was immersed in this tradition before becoming drawn to the (relative) simplicity of Theravada.

However, I still feel concerned at the huge difference in teachings on, for example, the after death state and Tantric teachings. If for example the Tibetan teachings on the Bardo and the various methods for being mindful through the death process are valid then having been made aware of them surely we should take advantage of them? Equally we're told in Tantra that the only way to achieve Enlightenment (as opposed to Liberation only) is to practice Tantra - all other methods are merely paths to the Highest practices of Tantric Buddhism.
A lot can be learned about the appearing sense of self by means of tantric practices of self-manifestation as deity in the context of emptiness.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.