The judging mind

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
asahi

Re: The judging mind

Post by asahi »

Observing wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:39 pm I've reached a level in my practice where I am able to stay mindful most of the time throughout the day. This means I'm aware of what my mind is doing far more than I used to be, which isn't always pleasant to see. I noticed yesterday that when I'm around other people, I am having almost constant thoughts of judgement and comparisons come up. I am able to counteract these thoughts with effort when I'm aware of them. Would practicing Metta more often be another way to quiet down the "judging mind?"
To live in society you cannot escape , sometimes we need a good judgement , a balance one . Not necessary all judgement are bad to practicing dhamma . Unless , you want to train seriously like a monk , most seriously .
No bashing No gossiping
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

asahi wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:13 am To live in society you cannot escape , sometimes we need a good judgement , a balance one . Not necessary all judgement are bad to practicing dhamma . Unless , you want to train seriously like a monk , most seriously .
Agree. The problem is not judging but comparing us with others. We need to judge and discern what is wrong from what is right.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

Observing wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:39 pm I've reached a level in my practice where I am able to stay mindful most of the time throughout the day. This means I'm aware of what my mind is doing far more than I used to be, which isn't always pleasant to see. I noticed yesterday that when I'm around other people, I am having almost constant thoughts of judgement and comparisons come up. I am able to counteract these thoughts with effort when I'm aware of them. Would practicing Metta more often be another way to quiet down the "judging mind?"
As long as one is able to identify it arising, it is task half done.
First we must be clear on what entitles by saying liberation from judging.
It is not watching over it in expectation it doesn't arises. This is what one do only in order to get samadhi.
But liberation requires differently from Samadhi requires.
Liberation from judging or other fabrication, is to sever attachment among mental fabrication, body and citta.

What it means in details -
when judging arises, it imposes no influence to body, speech. That is a sign no attachment between body and mind.
when judging arises, it imposes no standing contraction/tremor/attention. That is sign no attachment between mental fabrication and citta.

Ajahn Atulo(?), Ajahn Chah, Dipa Ma, upon theme of anger, they all spoke that anger is still there but no power over them.
For the same, judging is gonna arise upon conditions, but attention should be towards its impact to body, not judging itself.

Once judging thoughts arise, it will die out on its own, without further attention. This is the Dhamma eye.
Have faith in this, one will not try to meddle it.
But resolve must be made to not let it leak into action and speech, aware to its co-arising sensation within body, meanwhile attention should be swing back to one's theme of sati.

The sign that we have mastered the skill to handle judging mind, is that one is no longer afraid of possibility to judge. Judging mind will, indeed barely manifest ever again.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

SteRo wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:16 pm
Maarten wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:37 am
SteRo wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:32 am

No mind needs quieting. "Anicca, Dukkha and Anatta" are just concepts.
Aren't they reality? As in Samsara...
"reality" is just another concept, as is "samsara".
Interesting! So suffering is a concept too?
'Suppose there were a beetle, a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of him. He, because of that, would look down on other beetles: 'Yes, sirree! I am a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of me!' - SN 17.5
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Maarten wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:13 pm
Maarten wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:37 am

Aren't they reality? As in Samsara...
Sure. If not how could you think it?
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

SteRo wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:32 am

Interesting, thanks for sharing. :anjali:
'Suppose there were a beetle, a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of him. He, because of that, would look down on other beetles: 'Yes, sirree! I am a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of me!' - SN 17.5
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

I was wondering, do you believe in literal Rebirth?
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Maarten wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:02 pm

That's a strange question. If one believes that one believes in this or that does one merely believe that one believes in this or that or does one really believe in this or that? If one believes that one does not believe in this or that does one merely believe that one does not believe in this or that or does one really not believe in this or that? The same questions have to be applied to the first occurrences of "believes" (immediately after "if") which is why an infinite regress ensues.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

SteRo wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:20 am

That's a strange question. If one believes that one believes in this or that does one merely believe that one believes in this or that or does one really believe in this or that? If one believes that one does not believe in this or that does one merely believe that one does not believe in this or that or does one really not believe in this or that? The same questions have to be applied to the first occurrences of "believes" (immediately after "if") which is why an infinite regress ensues.
That's a yes/no then?
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

BrokenBones wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:39 am
SteRo wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:20 am

That's a yes/no then?
It appears to be 'neither' ... but should I believe [in] what appears just to re-enter the infinite regress? I am not involved in religious doctrines because these are not supported by scientific evidence. Religious doctrines for me a just objects of scientific investigations of doctrines as such which allows me to say that "rebirth" is part of buddhist doctrine(s).
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
jc1990

Post by jc1990 »

right view will help you, you have to do more meditation,

do daan and keep sila 8 to be able to do meditation.
TryingToMeditate

Post by TryingToMeditate »

I'm jc1990 posted above, I'm not sure whether right view will help you, but what you need to do is anapanasati/meditation. It will surely help you.