Soul theories and the Dhamma

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
ToVincent

Re: Soul theories and the Dhamma

Post by ToVincent »

Coëmgenu wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:50 pm No "greater metropolitan area!" That's modern Chinese influencing a modern person's reading of classical Chinese!
And would just put the all Agama literature to the drain.
:redherring: as usual.

The issue is about samanupassamānā:
viewtopic.php?p=676142#p676142
In this world, there are people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; some for the Unborn.
Those who desire good are few, and those who desire evil are many.
Buddha
(And you just can't imagine how much goodness, those who desire evil, are ready to display - ToVincent).
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

ToVincent wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:16 pmAnd would just put the all Agama literature to the drain.
I have no clue what this means. Carry on!
I heard it from a friend who heard it from a guy just before last call at the Publican House: Thomas the Bodhi-Wizard abode at Osmow's. Seeing a patron heading to the bathroom, Thomas quickly moved to relieve the man of his selfishly undonated plate. Caught, he spoke:

"'It's yours' is an extreme. 'It's mine' is another.
The Bodhi-Wizard splits the shawarma down the middle.
A sandwich arisen of causes and conditions
is a nonexistent sandwich.
A nonexistent sandwich is a designatory convenience.
This is the riddling way."

The man was awestruck.
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

Coëmgenu wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:20 pm
ToVincent wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:16 pmAnd would just put the all Agama literature to the drain.
I have no clue what this means. Carry on!
Sure, sure.
In this world, there are people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; some for the Unborn.
Those who desire good are few, and those who desire evil are many.
Buddha
(And you just can't imagine how much goodness, those who desire evil, are ready to display - ToVincent).
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

The Buddha states:

“I do not teach that there is one thing called old age and death, and that there is someone to whom they belong. Verily, if one holds the view that life (jiva=life principle, soul) is identical with the body (tam jivam tam sariram), in that case there can be no holy life. And if one holds the view that life is one thing but body another thing (annam jivam annam sariram), also in that case holy life is impossible.

Avoiding both of these extremes (i.e. complete identity and complete otherness) the Perfect One has taught the doctrine that lies in the middle, namely: Through rebirth conditioned are old age and death; …through the process of becoming, rebirth; …through clinging, the process of becoming;
etc.….” S. XII, 35

Essentials of Buddhism by Ven. Pategama Gnanarama Thera (PhD, Principal Buddhist and Pali College of Singapore), page 45

By this alone, cappuccino is defeated.
One may conquer in battle a thousand times a thousand men, yet he is the best of conquerors who conquers himself.

- Dhammapada
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Ontheway wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:59 am By this alone, cappuccino is defeated.
you should not believe in annihilation