Was Buddha a royal?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
thepea

Re: Was Buddha a royal?

Post by thepea »

Ontheway wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:44 am "Sotapanna" of modern new age Buddhism.

:rofl:
I am not Buddhist.
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

thepea wrote: I’m impartial as it’s wrapped up in belief rather than wisdom.
That's why I noticed that you have already finished with it.

On the other hand not every belief is non-wisdom. It is not a valid argument.
thepea wrote: who discovered these truths first is not a concern of mine.
Strange!
What is the first refuge out of 3 refuges?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

:focus:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
thepea

Post by thepea »

Eko Care wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:30 am
thepea wrote: I’m impartial as it’s wrapped up in belief rather than wisdom.
That's why I noticed that you have already finished with it.

On the other hand not every belief is non-wisdom. It is not a valid argument.
thepea wrote: who discovered these truths first is not a concern of mine.
Strange!
What is the first refuge out of 3 refuges?
Belief is faith, the only importance of faith is it develops to wisdom.
These refuges are within the framework of ones body.
It matters not who discovered this first.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

thepea wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:38 am It matters not who discovered this first.
Now is that gratitude?
Last edited by cappuccino on Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

thepea wrote: It matters not who discovered this first.
I would not say anything against, as you have already said that,
thepea wrote: I am not Buddhist.
thepea

Post by thepea »

Eko Care wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:47 am
thepea wrote: It matters not who discovered this first.
I would not say anything against, as you have already said that,
thepea wrote: I am not Buddhist.
I’m not religious(belief).
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

His caste was ksatriya. They're not warriors they didn't fight in the front line. You recruit Sudras to do that. Ksatriyas were aristocrats. Blue bloods. Powerful families. This was 500 BC folks. It was iron age not bronze age. It might be a small kingdom but it was still a real kingdom. Well at least that is according to my opinion. Rome transitioned from kingdom into republic around this time too.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

form wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:57 am What caste is he?
The Buddha was part of the warrior caste aka the ruling class of ancient India. What's interesting is that even though the Sakyan republic was a vassal of Kosala, the Sakyans saw themselves as "superior" to Kosala...can you imagine being the ruler of a powerful kingdom and treated as "inferior" by your subjects...that was the case with King Pasenadi(Pali)...

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
form

Post by form »

Kusala wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:03 am
form wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:57 am What caste is he?
The Buddha was part of the warrior caste aka the ruling class of ancient India. What's interesting is that even though the Sakyan republic was a vassal of Kosala, the Sakyans saw themselves as "superior" to Kosala...can you imagine being the ruler of a powerful kingdom and treated as "inferior" by your subjects...that was the case with King Pasenadi(Pali)...

Isn't there only 4 castes? He is not a Brahmin?
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

BKh wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:24 am
He likely didn't have 3 or 4 palaces either, since he talks bout his father working the field.
That's an erroneous conclusion to draw. To come to that, you have to argue that the mention of him working in a field is true (and then insist it means he was just a farmer/manual laborer) and that all other places where the suttas mention the Buddha raised in wealth are wrong. This is not a good way of reading the texts. It's very easy to understand how both pieces of information are true.
even warren buffet will water his garden as time pass/relaxation or personal interest but doesn't mean he is poor
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Cause_and_Effect

Post by Cause_and_Effect »

Didn't we have an endless debate about this already?

Apparently he was the Aryan Superman, preacher of the Aryan Eight-fold path and culmination and fulfilment of the Indo-European tradition (Eastern branch).

Or something like that

:juggling:
"Therein monks, that Dimension should be known wherein the eye ceases and the perception of forms fades away...the ear... the nose...the tongue... the body ceases and the perception of touch fades away...

That Dimension should be known wherein mentality ceases and the perception of mind-objects fades away.
That Dimension should be known; that Dimension should be known."

(S. IV. 98) - The Dimension beyond the All
Cause_and_Effect

Post by Cause_and_Effect »

He was surely Royal. Even according to the Mahavamsa he was from Sri Lanka so confirmed royal.
Harry.jpg
Sri Lanka Albino man.jpg
:tongue:
"Therein monks, that Dimension should be known wherein the eye ceases and the perception of forms fades away...the ear... the nose...the tongue... the body ceases and the perception of touch fades away...

That Dimension should be known wherein mentality ceases and the perception of mind-objects fades away.
That Dimension should be known; that Dimension should be known."

(S. IV. 98) - The Dimension beyond the All
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:32 pm
AlexBrains92 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:08 am 'Who was the Buddha?' by Alexander Wynne:
https://aeon.co/essays/was-the-buddha-a ... -itinerant
Thanks Alex - that's an interesting little essay from Wynne which I hadn't seen before. It contains a more plausible account of the Buddha's social position than the Suttas and later mythology, but overall I thought it made too much of the Buddha's "separation from worldly values". In particular, there was little on the ethics and the way in which sīla has played such a huge part in lay life.
What ever alex or westerners write about lord budda being siddartha was destined to be borne with the criteria as dipaya deshaya kalaya kula mawa meaning continent , country , time , clan and mother so that he will achieve his target of buddahood without obstacles . Clan meaning ksatriya or warrior clan was meant to be socially highest. Mother happened to be maha maya being the wife of king Suddodana who happened to be reigning India or Jambudvipa. Hence from buddhist literature
Gautama budda was from a Royal clan.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Lord Buddha was from Khattiya (aristocrat, ruler, or warrior) clan. And Lord Buddha said Khattiya clan is superior in a way.

Before Buddhahood, prince Siddhattha was a full trained warrior.

Even in Suttanta, Buddha praised Khattiya clan.
Prince Sidhartha shoting arrow.jpg
"At this point, Ambaṭṭha, that aristocrat has reached rock bottom, with head shaven, inflicted with a sack of ashes, and banished from city or nation. Yet still the aristocrats are superior and the brahmins inferior. Brahmā Sanaṅkumāra also spoke this verse:

‘The aristocrat is first among people
who take clan as the standard.
But one accomplished in knowledge and conduct
is first among gods and humans.’

That verse was well sung by Brahmā Sanaṅkumāra, not poorly sung; well spoken, not poorly spoken, beneficial, not harmful, and it was approved by me. For I also say this:

The aristocrat is first among people
who take clan as the standard.
But one accomplished in knowledge and conduct
is first among gods and humans.”
Ambaṭṭhasutta
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false