The sword of Damocles

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
wenjaforever

The sword of Damocles

Post by wenjaforever »

I am a 100% sceptic and was an atheist in the past, but the more I get to know about this world the more I'm convinced that everything in it are fake. Even a king is not happy to live in it. Was the Buddha right all along? Are there only suffering?
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
cappuccino

Re: The sword of Damocles

Post by cappuccino »

The Five Spiritual Faculties

1. Faith
2. Vigor
3. Mindfulness
4. Concentration
5. Wisdom
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

wenjaforever wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:45 am I am a 100% sceptic and was an atheist in the past, but the more I get to know about this world the more I'm convinced that everything in it are fake. Even a king is not happy to live in it. Was the Buddha right all along? Are there only suffering?
Yes, the Buddha was right. No, there is only suffering for the un-enlightened. The arahants have no suffering. But for nearly everyone else, yes, dukkha it is.

There was a Persian king in the distant past who lived in a palace and had hundreds of concubines (I think he was Persian, forgot his name). Even he said he had only one or two moments of happiness his entire life.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Here's a Buddhist sutta (Ud 8.10) that makes the same point as the Damocles legend:
I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Anupiyā in the Mango Grove. And on that occasion, Ven. Bhaddiya, Kāḷigodhā's son, on going to the wilderness, to the root of a tree, or to an empty dwelling, would repeatedly exclaim, "What bliss! What bliss!"

A large number of monks heard Ven. Bhaddiya, Kāḷigodhā's son, on going to the wilderness, to the root of a tree, or to an empty dwelling, repeatedly exclaim, "What bliss! What bliss!" and on hearing him, the thought occurred to them, "There's no doubt but that Ven. Bhaddiya, Kāḷigodhā's son, doesn't enjoy leading the holy life, for when he was a householder he knew the bliss of kingship, so that now, on recollecting that when going to the wilderness, to the root of a tree, or to an empty dwelling, he is repeatedly exclaiming, 'What bliss! What bliss!'"

So they went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As they were sitting there, they told him, "Ven. Bhaddiya, Kāḷigodhā's son, lord, on going to the wilderness, to the root of a tree, or to an empty dwelling, repeatedly exclaims, 'What bliss! What bliss!' There's no doubt but that Ven. Bhaddiya doesn't enjoy leading the holy life, for when he was a householder he knew the bliss of kingship, so that now, on recollecting that when going to the wilderness, to the root of a tree, or to an empty dwelling, he is repeatedly exclaiming, 'What bliss! What bliss!'"

Then the Blessed One told a certain monk, "Come, monk. In my name, call Bhaddiya, saying, 'The Teacher calls you, friend Bhaddiya.'"

Responding, "As you say, lord," to the Blessed One, the monk went to Ven. Bhaddiya, Kāḷigodhā's son, and on arrival he said to him, "The Teacher calls you, friend Bhaddiya."

Responding, "As you say, my friend," to the monk, Ven. Bhaddiya, Kāḷigodhā's son, went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As he was sitting there, the Blessed One said to him, "Is it true, Bhaddiya that — on going to the wilderness, to the root of a tree, or to an empty dwelling — you repeatedly exclaim, 'What bliss! What bliss!'?"

"Yes, lord."

"What compelling reason do you have in mind that — when going to the wilderness, to the root of a tree, or to an empty dwelling — you repeatedly exclaim, 'What bliss! What bliss!'?"

"Before, when I has a householder, maintaining the bliss of kingship,[1] lord, I had guards posted within and without the royal apartments, within and without the city, within and without the countryside. But even though I was thus guarded, thus protected, I dwelled in fear — agitated, distrustful, & afraid. But now, on going alone to the wilderness, to the root of a tree, or to an empty dwelling, I dwell without fear, unagitated, confident, & unafraid — unconcerned, unruffled, my wants satisfied, with my mind like a wild deer. This is the compelling reason I have in mind that — when going to the wilderness, to the root of a tree, or to an empty dwelling — I repeatedly exclaim, 'What bliss! What bliss!'"
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:17 pmHere's a Buddhist sutta (Ud 8.10) that makes the same point as the Damocles legend:
Impressive never knew of this one, thanks mod.

I catch this was actually a funny story, correct? The monk initially thought the prince was unhappy. But when he explained himself to the Buddha, it was quite the opposite way around.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

wenjaforever wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:51 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:17 pmHere's a Buddhist sutta (Ud 8.10) that makes the same point as the Damocles legend:
Impressive never knew of this one, thanks mod.

I catch this was actually a funny story, correct? The monk initially thought the prince was unhappy. But when he explained himself to the Buddha, it was quite the opposite way around.
Yes, that's how I read it. We get wrong-footed by the first bit, and think he was hankering after his former life.