i dont understand why i feel so awful

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
bpallister

Re: i dont understand why i feel so awful

Post by bpallister »

try the wholistic approach and take an inventory of food, exercise, sleep, sunlight, meditation, just general self-care. see what areas may be lacking and try to address them. I hope you've been feeling better.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

salayatananirodha wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:06 am i feel awful
Why?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Two chickpeas are going along down the street. One looks over and says you don't look so good. Are you okay? The other replies no, I falafel.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Do vigorous exercise to the point of exhaustion as this will calm down negative conceptual thinking and release good chemicals in the brain and body.
JohnSo

Post by JohnSo »

Why? Do not analyze it. It will complicate things. Doing Bhavana (meditation - although I do not like the term, however it is a common concept) maybe good for you.

You can do several things:
1. Mindfulness of The Body
2. Mindfulness of The Breath

Good luck
Johncat

Post by Johncat »

Metta from Aotearoa/ New Zealand. Really hope you are feeling better since when you posted. Having chronic horrendous insomnia and sleep deprivation - i have had to get used to living with 'feeling awful' for a while....Perhaps this could be 'old pain' coming up that has been 'dislodged' through your dhamma practice? There is a wonderful writer called Thomas Moore who says that discomfort, pain and depression are our bodies and minds calling out for care - a signal that we are needing to bring compassion and patience and love to ourselves. the main thing is be kind and supportive to yourself as you would be to a family member or friend. So often we are too tough on ourselves and beat ourselves up ON TOP OF THE DISCOMFORT WE ALREADY HAVE!.. go gently on yourself. :heart:
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Life is supposed to be a mix of happiness and sufferings (or worse, for many, just sufferings). Things never go smooth all the time and obey our wish. This is called "Yampiccham na labhati dukkham" as taught in the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta.

Get over it. If you can't help yourself, nobody can help you.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
jc1990

Post by jc1990 »

Could it be that you didn't keep sila?

I have written a blog post about how to be happy and about sila. You can read it here - https://ablogforhappiness20296852.wordp ... -be-happy/

I hope the post will be useful to you.

All the best.
jc1990

Post by jc1990 »

bad kamma leads to suffering. so you feel awful because of past bad kamma. so now do good kamma and everything will change.
Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna »

salayatananirodha wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:15 am dhamma is great i have just been feeling awful in body, ive had back surgery and i also have used too many drugs. giving them up again for the most part
discussing nanananda's magic of mind on facebook/zoom group chat
but yeah do old people just start randomly feeling bad or is there something i can do not to feel like that (feel ok now, we'll have to see what tomorrow brings)
going back to physical therapy for neck stiffness and hyper-mobility
get tired of arguing with my mom so often -- i got a raise at my job but im still not sure if i can afford a vehicle. she is financially dependent on me, and she having done so much for me i wont just let her suffer. so i wish to keep making merit until things get better
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/iti/iti.1.001-027.than.html wrote:This was said by the Blessed One, said by the Arahant, so I have heard: "Monks, don't be afraid of acts of merit. This is another way of saying what is blissful, desirable, pleasing, endearing, charming — i.e., acts of merit. I am cognizant that, having long performed meritorious deeds, I long experienced desirable, pleasing, endearing, charming results. Having developed a mind of good will for seven years, then for seven aeons of contraction & expansion I didn't return to this world. Whenever the aeon was contracting, I went to the realm of Streaming Radiance. Whenever the aeon was expanding, I reappeared in an empty Brahma-abode. There I was the Great Brahman, the Unconquered Conqueror, All-seeing, & Wielder of Power. Then for thirty-six times I was Sakka, ruler of the gods. For many hundreds of times I was a king, a wheel-turning emperor, a righteous king of Dhamma, conqueror of the four corners of the earth, maintaining stable control over the countryside, endowed with the seven treasures[1] — to say nothing of the times I was a local king. The thought occurred to me: 'Of what action of mine is this the fruit, of what action the result, that I now have such great power & might?' Then the thought occurred to me: 'This is the fruit of my three [types of] action, the result of three types of action, that I now have such great power & might: i.e., giving, self-control, & restraint.'"

Train in acts of merit
that bring long-lasting bliss —
develop giving,
a life in tune,
a mind of good-will.
Developing these
three things
that bring about bliss,
the wise reappear
in a world of bliss
unalloyed.

Note

The seven treasures are a divine wheel, an ideal jewel, an ideal elephant, an ideal horse, an ideal wife, an ideal treasurer, an ideal counselor.
merit dory better.jpeg
https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadhamma
Your a real trooper my friend.

Don’t know, it probably won’t get better though. Suppose to be fully mindful of the unpleasant right?

All the best my friend.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Ontheway wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:01 pm Life is supposed to be a mix of happiness and sufferings (or worse, for many, just sufferings). Things never go smooth all the time and obey our wish. This is called "Yampiccham na labhati dukkham" as taught in the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta.

Get over it. If you can't help yourself, nobody can help you.
The next time you feel like shyte, I hope someone you care about tells you, “get over it.”

What an insensitive comment. You’re what? Late twenties? You have no idea what it means yet to age. The random and persistent pain of your joints and tendons starting to become rigid.

Have you ever been to a hospital? Did the doctor say to you, “Well. Your X-rays show a clean break in your femur and my advice is for you to walk it off; get over it. That’ll be four hundred dollars.”

:shrug:
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded