How to Practice Vippassana? (Vedananusati)

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Akashad

How to Practice Vippassana? (Vedananusati)

Post by Akashad »

Good morning,

I have only been doing samadhi practice in this lifetime however am curious on how to practice vippassana. Specifically i am curious on how to do vedananusati as i noticed samadhi practiced has mostly suppressed wandering thoughts .if i don't start the thought theres not thoughts floating around or popping around even when something traumatic happens or agitating..it's just dead silent.And i can always sense the mind leaning towards this or that..for example the process of me rembering to do something...i will sense the mind leaning towards remembering and it all seems to me in slow motion..and i will allow it to search it searches then remembers..i don't just remember things..its a slow motion process. but i have never experienced intrusive thoughts popping in my head. When i was younger i also use to Not be in my body,for example i used to be like washing the dishes but lost in thought or another world,or pretense or mental activity and that has not happened to me in decades.I feel like i am always where i am due to my attention being tied to the breath being tied to the body.

But one thing i did notice that tends to run havoc and comes and goes unthethered is emotions or feeling.Because the processing of daily life has somehow bypassed thoughts its manifesting in me just as feeling so much emotions.instead of thinking about phenomenon that arises i tend to have an emotional reaction to stimuli minus thoughts.Like if i had a bad day id just feel horrible but minus any narrative or comment in my head.I would like to learn how to watch emotions and feelings because feelings are not suppressed the way thoughts are hopefully this can help me improve in my practice thank you.

To an extent samadhi does suppress emotions but i found it very dangerous because the moment you stop samadhi practice it comes bubbling up with such extreme force..and also i strangely noticed it has a way of amplifying almost ANY feeling...so if you were feeling negative it can amplify that..it can amplyify anything..i noticed that people who practice psychic powers would have to practice samadhi to amplify their intention..and its the exact same thing its doing with daily emotions it amplifies and concentrates ANYTHING we direct the mind in.

If anyone could please help me on how to practice vedananusati that would be much appreciated.Thank you. :namaste:
befriend

Re: How to Practice Vippassana? (Vedananusati)

Post by befriend »

Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
befriend

Post by befriend »

You are right my teacher said too much jhana without vipassana suppresses hindrances and then they will explode I have notice this as well. I practice vipassana like I have posted in this thread above. You shouldn't just do samadhi.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Zachary

Post by Zachary »

Hi Akashad,

In my opinion you should make time for formal vipassana practice. You can practice samatha for an hour and after that you can practice vipassana for twenty minutes. This is just an example. You can do it according to your timeschedule.

In vipassana practice when there are emotions you watch, observe and feel the emotion. When there is anger you label it anger. You say mentally ‘anger,anger,anger’, clearly observing the anger till it fades away. When there is boredom. You mentally say ‘boredom,boredom, boredom’ and really feel and understand what that feeling is. Etc. With all emotions like this. Be aware of them when they are present untill they are gone.

You should find a vipassana teacher for proper instructions.

Greetings Zachary
waryoffolly

Post by waryoffolly »

Akashad wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:52 pm To an extent samadhi does suppress emotions but i found it very dangerous because the moment you stop samadhi practice it comes bubbling up with such extreme force..and also i strangely noticed it has a way of amplifying almost ANY feeling...so if you were feeling negative it can amplify that..it can amplyify anything..i noticed that people who practice psychic powers would have to practice samadhi to amplify their intention..and its the exact same thing its doing with daily emotions it amplifies and concentrates ANYTHING we direct the mind in.
If you find negative emotions are amplified by samadhi, then there is something incorrect with your samadhi practice. Please investigate this more closely. Samma samadhi must be integrated with the entire path, and when done properly it leads to the ability to remain centered and calm amidst even painful stimuli. Samma samadhi should not repress emotions either, but instead occurs as a natural unforced process after one opens up to experience. Your description here sounds like a forced narrowing of experience instead. Free the mind, don’t cramp it.

Hopefully that’s helpful, but if not you are welcome to ignore my post.
dharmalotus48

Post by dharmalotus48 »

Akashad wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:52 pm Good morning,

I have only been doing samadhi practice in this lifetime however am curious on how to practice vippassana. Specifically i am curious on how to do vedananusati as i noticed samadhi practiced has mostly suppressed wandering thoughts .if i don't start the thought theres not thoughts floating around or popping around even when something traumatic happens or agitating..it's just dead silent.And i can always sense the mind leaning towards this or that..for example the process of me rembering to do something...i will sense the mind leaning towards remembering and it all seems to me in slow motion..and i will allow it to search it searches then remembers..i don't just remember things..its a slow motion process. but i have never experienced intrusive thoughts popping in my head. When i was younger i also use to Not be in my body,for example i used to be like washing the dishes but lost in thought or another world,or pretense or mental activity and that has not happened to me in decades.I feel like i am always where i am due to my attention being tied to the breath being tied to the body.

But one thing i did notice that tends to run havoc and comes and goes unthethered is emotions or feeling.Because the processing of daily life has somehow bypassed thoughts its manifesting in me just as feeling so much emotions.instead of thinking about phenomenon that arises i tend to have an emotional reaction to stimuli minus thoughts.Like if i had a bad day id just feel horrible but minus any narrative or comment in my head.I would like to learn how to watch emotions and feelings because feelings are not suppressed the way thoughts are hopefully this can help me improve in my practice thank you.

To an extent samadhi does suppress emotions but i found it very dangerous because the moment you stop samadhi practice it comes bubbling up with such extreme force..and also i strangely noticed it has a way of amplifying almost ANY feeling...so if you were feeling negative it can amplify that..it can amplyify anything..i noticed that people who practice psychic powers would have to practice samadhi to amplify their intention..and its the exact same thing its doing with daily emotions it amplifies and concentrates ANYTHING we direct the mind in.

If anyone could please help me on how to practice vedananusati that would be much appreciated.Thank you. :namaste:
Akashad, vipasanna is an experience. When your samadhi is strong enough, your mind clear of defilements, you will see the truth.