asammūḷho kālaṁ karoti

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Coëmgenu

Re: asammūḷho kālaṁ karoti

Post by Coëmgenu »

Unfortunately, that isn't reading it "literally." Reading it literally wouldn't turn karoti into a gerundative.

As to his so-called "meaning" being "possible," he'd have to find it used as such in a Pāli sutta: something he has not done and can't do.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Coëmgenu wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:55 pm Unfortunately, that isn't reading it "literally." Reading it literally wouldn't turn karoti into a gerundative.

As to his so-called "meaning" being "possible," he'd have to find it used as such in a Pāli sutta: something he has not done and can't do.
Probably he won't be able to. In any case, it is clear that saying "kālaṁ karoti" which involves time is not the same as saying "maraṇa" or whatever pali word would render in english as "dead". These kind of subtleties are lost with translations.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Joe.c

Post by Joe.c »

Well. It will take too long for me to explain how i come up with that.

Basicaly try to bring up the whole teaching in the fore front. Then try to see how the wordings can be used in the whole teaching. Then, see how does the wordings can be used in your real experience. Then one can get the full meaning.

Basically don’t put any bias into the translation. Try to understand the context especially your own experience (not easy for most people).

When one develop Metta Bhavana, the mind will be very focus and expansive (aka in samadhi). So never confused when doing something in real life. It will be different for regular person with undeveloped mind, he/she will be confused and doubting everything.

But yeah you will never see me, learning pali language formally. i’m type of person into practical thing now.
May you be relax, happy, comfortable and free of dukkhas from hearing true dhamma.
May you gain unshakable confidence in Buddha, Dhamma and (Ariya) Sangha.
Learn about Buddha/Dhamma Characters.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

I think it's good to be biased against inaccurate and/or wrong translations.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

mjaviem wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:09 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:55 pm Unfortunately, that isn't reading it "literally." Reading it literally wouldn't turn karoti into a gerundative.

Probably he won't be able to. In any case, it is clear that saying "kālaṁ karoti" which involves time is not the same as saying "maraṇa" or whatever pali word would render in english as "dead". These kind of subtleties are lost with translations.
Yet it still concerns the same thing. Death.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Joe.c wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:27 pm Well. It will take too long for me to explain how i come up with that.

Basicaly try to bring up the whole teaching in the fore front. Then try to see how the wordings can be used in the whole teaching. Then, see how does the wordings can be used in your real experience. Then one can get the full meaning.

Basically don’t put any bias into the translation. Try to understand the context especially your own experience (not easy for most people).

When one develop Metta Bhavana, the mind will be very focus and expansive (aka in samadhi). So never confused when doing something in real life. It will be different for regular person with undeveloped mind, he/she will be confused and doubting everything.

But yeah you will never see me, learning pali language formally. i’m type of person into practical thing now.
AN 7.68 Thanissaro wrote:...
“And how is a monk one with a sense of meaning? There is the case where a monk knows the meaning of this & that statement—’This is the meaning of that statement; that is the meaning of this.’ If he didn’t know the meaning of this & that statement—’This is the meaning of that statement; that is the meaning of this’—he wouldn’t be said to be one with a sense of meaning. So it’s because he does know the meaning of this & that statement—’This is the meaning of that statement; that is the meaning of this’—that he is said to be one with a sense of meaning. This is one with a sense of Dhamma & a sense of meaning.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
dharmalotus48

Post by dharmalotus48 »

mjaviem wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:49 am Do you agree with the following translation?
asammūḷho kālaṁ karoti
AN 11.15 Thanissaro wrote:...
One’s mind gains concentration quickly. One’s complexion is bright. One dies unconfused and—if penetrating no higher—is headed for the Brahma worlds.
Sometimes I'm amazed the many ways translators interpret Pali words as death and birth. These three pali words could mean something about not being infatuated about time or something similar but who am I to interpret like this?
Assam , harm
Mulho, root
Kalam, duration, certain time
Karoo, build

Assam mulho kalam karoti

to build the root of all harm for a duration of time

If that root would only build, then it never dies

So yes, death is correct imo :anjali: