How To Know The Sutta For Bhikku Or For Householder?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
balaputradeva

How To Know The Sutta For Bhikku Or For Householder?

Post by balaputradeva »

Hello, I want to ask.

How to know the sutta is for Bhikkhu/Sanga/Monastic or for householder/layperson?

Is there any clue in the the sutta itself?
Like, "if the Sutta said like here monk/Bhikkhu, ..." then the sutta here is for Monk/Bhikku/Monastery.

Thank you
robertk

Re: How To Know The Sutta For Bhikku Or For Householder?

Post by robertk »

Even a layman can be considered like a bhikkhu if he follows the teaching.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... wayof.html
Bhikkhave = "Bhikkhus." This is a term for addressing persons who accept the teaching.

Bhikkhu[15] is a term to indicate a person who earnestly endeavors to accomplish the practice of the teaching. Others, gods and men, too, certainly strive earnestly to accomplish the practice of the teaching, but because of the excellence of the bhikkhu-state by way of practice, the Master said: "Bhikkhu." For amongst those who accept the teaching of the Buddha, the bhikkhu is the highest owing to fitness for receiving manifold instruction. Further, when that highest kind of person, the bhikkhu, is reckoned, the rest too are reckoned, as in regard to a royal procession and the like, when the king is reckoned, by the reckoning of the king, the retinue is reckoned. Also the word "bhikkhu" was used by the Buddha to point out the bhikkhu-state through practice of the teaching in this way: "He who practices this practice of the Arousing of Mindfulness is called a bhikkhu." He who follows the teaching, be he a shining one [deva] or a human, is indeed called a bhikkhu. Accordingly it is said:

"Well-dressed one may be, but if one is calm,
Tamed, humble, pure, a man who does no harm
To aught that lives, that one's a brahman true.
An ascetic and mendicant too."[16]
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

balaputradeva wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:49 am Hello, I want to ask.

How to know the sutta is for Bhikkhu/Sanga/Monastic or for householder/layperson?

Like, "if the Sutta said like here monk/Bhikkhu, ..." then the sutta here is for Monk/Bhikku/Monastery.

Thank you
As far as I know there is no such clear cut boundary.

I think any Dhamma which is not directly related to the monastic life, should be considered universal.
BKh

Post by BKh »

balaputradeva wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:49 am How to know the sutta is for Bhikkhu/Sanga/Monastic or for householder/layperson?
There is no such distinction. It's hard to imagine something as potentially as important as this not being directly, or even indirectly, by the Buddha.

Monastics need to know information that may be more directly relevant to lay people so they can give instruction.

Lay people need to know about deep teachings (even if they may not understand them) so that they can develop an appropriate faith in the Buddha, Dhamma Sangha.

Vinaya is primarily important for the monastics to know and follow. But even with that the Buddha nowhere forbade lay people from learning and studying Vinaya.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna »

Thank you
Why do you want to know? What benefit is there?

I don’t mean to be rude. Find the sutta, any sutta that your heart connects with. Something that resonates.

Even if it is one stanza, if you ride it to the end, it will bring you great fruit.
bodom

Post by bodom »

See this thread:

Suttas for the Householder
viewtopic.php?t=259

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
balaputradeva

Post by balaputradeva »

Thank you for the reply, Avuso.
NAD

Post by NAD »

Thank you
Have a look through this paper by John Kelly-The Buddha’s Teachings to Lay People
https://journal.equinoxpub.com/BSR/arti ... 8929/10397
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

:smile:
bodom wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:13 am See this thread:

Suttas for the Householder
viewtopic.php?t=259

Wow. May I say thank you again Bodom. This empty room really resonates. Quiet too.

Metta