Could we have a notice board section?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
KeepCalm

Could we have a notice board section?

Post by KeepCalm »

Namo Buddhaya!

Would it be possible to have a notice board section so that it would be possible to collaborate with Buddhist people who are keeping the precepts etc. on projects outside the scope of this forum?

I understand (to some extent) why you feel the café area should be removed because you (as a group) wanted to discourage general unwholesome chit-chat and the like but there seems no place to discuss other projects that are not directly relating to study of the suttas etc.

For example, I would like to hook up with other Buddhist practitioners who have advanced IT/Development/Graphics skills etc. for projects related to Buddhism/Dhamma/Wholesome charity activities etc. but there seems no way to do this on this forum (or anywhere for that matter).

Apologies if there is already a section for this sort of thing...

Thank you,

Peter A
Ceisiwr

Re: Could we have a notice board section?

Post by Ceisiwr »

Sounds like a good idea.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Peter,

I would recommend the "Dhammaduta (Dhamma propagation)" sub-forum for such endeavours.

All the best.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

Hmm.. that doesn't seem to fit necessarily.

It would be nice to be able to meet (online etc.) Dhamma practitioners who keep precepts etc. to discuss other subjects other than Dhamma per se i.e. subjects relevant to professional/personal development and/or for charitable pursuits not relating to dhamma propagation for example; feeding the hungry or caring for the sick of any faith or denomination.

Not everyone is in a position where they can dedicate their lives to Meditation and Sutta study only and there are other other noble causes in this world other than giving to Sangha. Lets make sure all the monks/nuns are well fed but also let's try and feed/educate others too.

Although I realize such activities are beyond the scope of this forum it would be nice (in my opinion) if there could be a notice board area so that people could organize such activities together.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Tangent-Man wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:08 am Although I realize such activities are beyond the scope of this forum it would be nice (in my opinion) if there could be a notice board area so that people could organize such activities together.
Yes, this forum is more for discussing the Dhamma, the doctrines in a kalyana-mitta online format, not really for organizing IRL meetings. Remember that this is a global, international group and most members are literally thousands of miles (km) apart.

Back when we had the Lounge section, there was a place to discuss and post photos of some IRL events.
viewtopic.php?t=2730

But as you can see, it was rare due to the distance of most members. There were also a few other meetings, but where the members didn't want their photos posted.
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

Before it was rare. Now it's impossible.

:weep:

Also I didn't necessarily mean to meet kalina mitta IRL necessarily to discuss things..(although this would be great) it would be nice to be able to hook up with kaliana mitta online to collaborate on projects beyond the scope of this forum.

Pete A
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Tangent-Man wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:28 am Before it was rare. Now it's impossible.

Also I didn't necessarily mean to meet kalina mitta IRL necessarily to discuss things..(although this would be great) it would be nice to be able to hook up with kaliana mitta online to collaborate on projects beyond the scope of this forum.

Pete A
That can still be done, see retro's post, in the Dhammaduta (Dhamma propagation) sub-forum. Just make a topic and see what develops.
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

DNS wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:19 pm
Tangent-Man wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:28 am Before it was rare. Now it's impossible.

Pete A
That can still be done, see retro's post, in the Dhammaduta (Dhamma propagation) sub-forum. Just make a topic and see what develops.
Do you have a link to retros post?

(In any case It still doesn't seem like the right place to me... say I would like to connect with Kalinana Mitra/Health professionals who are interested in collaborating on projects to help the needy in emergency/crisis situations.. putting a post under Dhamma Propogation?).

:anjali:
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

Or if I wanted to meet up (online) or be able to phone/email someone with some questions about some subject/ topic/ reason not relating directly to dhamma study/meditation there's no way to do this. Yes there are forums on every subject under the sun on the internet but forming friendships/relationships with people who aren't kaliana mitta is unskillful and unwise isn't it?

What to do? :shrug:

I mean we can post such notices under Dhamma Propagation if you like? Just triggers my OCD.. it's your forum..
Last edited by KeepCalm on Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Here is retro's post in this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=681378#p681378

You could also post in Announcements. See this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=36855

RobertK organized some zoom meetings online with DW members. I think that is something you might want to re-start. RobertK hosted several online events / meetings.

Don't worry about which forum you put it in, if it's inappropriate place, we could always move it to a better sub-forum. And don't worry about permissions, retro, an admin already said it's okay and I'm also saying it's okay.
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

Tangent-Man wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:40 pm
Do you have a link to retros post?

This ancient thing? viewtopic.php?t=10354

KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

Yes perhaps announcements makes some sense.. the sub heading throws you a bit 'The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum. ' because the announcement I would like to make doesn't really have anything to do with the Dhamma Wheel Forum per se. - but then I can see that a lot of the posts under announcements don't have anything to do with the Dhamma Wheel Forum either...

Perhaps now I am just being pedantic!

OK, thanks.

(I still think a notice board section would be more sensible... mumble mumble).
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

I guess you can call a notice board an announcement board in any case.. Just the sub-title makes no sense for what it is currently being used for.. :thinking:
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

However I don't have permission to post new topics in the announcements section so thats that idea out of the window...
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

KeepCalm wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:58 am However I don't have permission to post new topics in the announcements section so thats that idea out of the window...
Okay, perhaps it's only admins and mods who can post new topics in announcements.

But there still is Dhammaduta (Dhamma propagation) sub-forum and personal experience sub-forum where you could post the topics you are looking to do.