Calling the police

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
santa100

Re: Calling the police

Post by santa100 »

NotMe wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:17 am what if due to your *action*, innocent people are incarcerated or worse - put to death? IT HAPPENS more than we'd like to accept.
:anjali:
Of course that's a possibility. That's why one should report when there's evidence. Actually, I don't know where you live, but in the States, everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty. And with more than 1.3 millions lawyers in the US (more than any other countries in the world), one can easily be counter-sued for defamation if s/he makes false accusation. So, yeah, that'd certainly helps minimizing your scenario quite a bit.
Last edited by santa100 on Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

"Comedian Joe Lycett has revealed that a fan who attended one of his stand-up gigs called the police because they found one of his jokes offensive. The 33-year-old funnyman revealed he'd been questioned after police received the complaint about a joke that involved the phrase "giant donkey d***."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... 287316.amp
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

BrokenBones wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:27 am "Comedian Joe Lycett has revealed that a fan who attended one of his stand-up gigs called the police because they found one of his jokes offensive. The 33-year-old funnyman revealed he'd been questioned after police received the complaint about a joke that involved the phrase "giant donkey d***."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... 287316.amp
Well yeah in that case sure he deserved it man I hope he gets a life sentence. <grin>

Metta

Deadelectronics

Post by Deadelectronics »

santa100 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:07 am
What happens if due to your inaction, the criminal will carry on his evil acts and do great harm to many other people? Don't those innocent folks deserve more compassion than that single criminal? And isn't your deliberate inaction directly contributing to the suffering brought upon the innocents, which is also a form of unwholesome kamma?
:goodpost:
NotMe wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:17 am
what if due to your *action*, innocent people are incarcerated or worse - put to death? IT HAPPENS more than we'd like to accept.

Metta

Thats due to the boys in blue needing a perp and how the court system is set up. I know people personally who were screwed by the court system and in my eyes Santa100 is right.
One guy has to do time for a bag of meth that belongs to his girlfriend's dad. Apparently, it was too late for it to be part of evidence (it was literally revealed during trial). I did try to bring it up, but the prominent members of the jury told me that we can't let it influence our sentencing which is what the cops told us. They were also on about their tax money being wasted on repeat offenders (the guy had 2 arrests for meth prior. Each arrest was separated by like 2 years and his last arrest was like 5 years ago) They still gave the guy max sentence which was like 2 years and like 5k fine. It was a surreal experience and changed how I viewed the court system and jury. Just imagine how a bunch of birds can hand you a max sentence on a crime you didn't commit, and they go live their life while you have to go back to county to start your prison sentence. I did feel sick for a few weeks just thinking about it.
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

Deadelectronics wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:01 am
Thats due to the boys in blue needing a perp and how the court system is set up. I know people personally who were screwed by the court system and in my eyes Santa100 is right.
One guy has to do time for a bag of meth that belongs to his girlfriend's dad. Apparently, it was too late for it to be part of evidence (it was literally revealed during trial). I did try to bring it up, but the prominent members of the jury told me that we can't let it influence our sentencing which is what the cops told us. They were also on about their tax money being wasted on repeat offenders (the guy had 2 arrests for meth prior. Each arrest was separated by like 2 years and his last arrest was like 5 years ago) They still gave the guy max sentence which was like 2 years and like 5k fine. It was a surreal experience and changed how I viewed the court system and jury. Just imagine how a bunch of birds can hand you a max sentence on a crime you didn't commit, and they go live their life while you have to go back to county to start your prison sentence. I did feel sick for a few weeks just thinking about it.
Metta

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Your decision should take into account if you have a legal case based on civil law. In civil law, people can get away with misdeeds, unlike kamma which would eventually catch up with evil doers. One similarity between dhamma and civil law, that is, in both cases ignorance does not seem to be an excuse. In the rare cases when ignorance is considered an excuse, it has to be through the dictations of the law.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thank you all, i dont have evidence, the evidence could be in the criminal's phone. But another issue is that my family bussiness depends on the owner that have these criminals hired by the owner. My bussiness is in front of them i have to pay the rent to their boss-owner. Also my father doesnt believe me because he thinks i have day dream, when its not, i dont have support of my parents in this, so sometimes i have to go and put myself in danger.
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

mario92 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:08 pm i dont have support of my parents in this, so sometimes i have to go and put myself in danger.
You will do what you will do, but I'd say listen to your parents. Don't go stealing a phone. Do not harm yourself!

Metta

Akashad

Post by Akashad »

What did this person do?
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »